Software question for business

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ptp25, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ptp25

ptp25 New Member

Alright, I posted a couple weeks ago stating that I am looking for software to start a small business (CAD). I got a quote back from the company today and they want $6000. I was just wondering if there are any other alternatives (legal) that I can look for. I already have a version of the software but I don't want to use it if I am starting a business. Any suggestions?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Autodesk's Autocad is the industry standard for stuff like this, and it's not cheap by any means. You could look into autocad lite, I'm not sure what the big differences are but it is definately cheaper.

3. ptp25

ptp25 New Member

HA, that is the exact program I was looking for, Autodesk Inventor....$6000. I also use it at work. It is 3d modeling.

4. Shadoglare

Shadoglare NeoCon Commie Hitler Wanna-Be

If you want the industry standard, AutoCAD, you're going to pay out the nose for it.
    If you're willing to use something else, you can get it for a fraction of the price. The name TurboCAD comes to mind though I don't know how popular it is for serious business use - it can be had for a small fraction of the price of Auto though.

5. callistorec

callistorec Point it at Jupiter

Have you looked at open source options:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brlcad/
    http://brlcad.org/

I remember seeing a lot of CAD ports on FreeBSD, but that could be complete fantasy. Open source options are nice because they're free, but they may not have the features you want.

Another option, if you have the resources/time, is to go open source and develop the code into what you need yourself.

$6,000 is a lot of money, but these programs are by no means simple to develop.

When looking at open source software look at what it's capable of and determine how far off it is from what you need. Sometimes only minor changes may be necessary to get the application perfect for your environment. It may be worth your while to talk to open source consultant. Be careful.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  6. ptp25

ptp25 New Member

Thanks but the open source option would not be an option to me. I am not good at programming, I am a Mech Eng. Maybe I will try to get a few contracts first then bite the bullet and buy the software.

7. callistorec

Good luck. The links I posted are to existing open source CAD software. You should at least check and see if they fit your needs.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Like someone else said maybe turbocad deluxe might work for you, and is significantly cheaper than Autodesk products.

9. red

red New Member

Why does open-source necessarily imply a need for programming knowledge? I've never had to write any code to use open-office.

10. callistorec

I didn't mean he had to do any programming. I assumed that the software wouldn't fit his needs. Sometimes open source lacks features that can be hacked in with relatively little effort. Sometimes people have already hacked it and shared the hack publicly. I suppose I probably over emphasized the programming part. Redwards is right. Open source offerings are complete unto themselves.

11. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Open source alternatives aren't going to be as good as the industry's leading software, but I imagine they'd be very similar to what you're looking for, which are basically cheaper knockoffs based on the industry leader. Unless you're actually looking for a coupon.

12. callistorec

yeah...