Software Licenses

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AbortionSurvivor, Sep 28, 2004.

1. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

What''s the official rule about owning software and licenses?
    I'm in a company where most copies of Office and Acrobat are "borrowed" from each other.

We're trying to update everyone and buy legit stuff. As for Office, does everyone need their own copy? What about if we buy OEM?

I think I know OEM is only allowed to be sold with new hardware such as hard drive, motherboard/cpu, and computer.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can buy what they call a site license for most of the major titles (including Office and MS OS's). It is a much better deal than worrying about a boxed version for each computer. I'm not sure where the price break point is where site licenses vs. boxed versions is though. When you buy a site license you say you want a license for 10 computers. You can then legally install the same piece of software on any 10 computers and if you replace a computer, you can move it to the next computer, as long as you never have more than 10 working copies at any one time you are legal.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

If you buy an OEM copy of any Microsoft software, it is licensed for only one computer. If you buy a retail version of MS Office, I believe it is all right for 3 computers.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

uh, no.

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

elaborate

6. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

How many computers do you plan on upgrading?

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

No matter which version you buy, it's licensed to be used on one computer at a time. So you could have it on your laptop and your desktop, but it would be illegal to use it on both at once, and (at least on the Mac version I've used) it'll check to see if there's another copy running on the same network and not start if there is.

Or you can use free software and not have to worry about giving your money to big companies for bullshit licenses.

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Quote from http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/office2003.asp

For individuals, especially home users, Microsoft is easing up licensing requirements for various versions of the suite. You can install all Office 2003 retail products and use them concurrently on up to three computers, up from two in the previous version, which didn't permit concurrent use. That's a huge change for home users, one that might mitigate the otherwise high price of a retail upgrade.

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

ahh.. here we go.. from MS website..

Q.
    How many times can I install Office 2003 Editions?

A.

You can install one copy of Office Professional Edition 2003, Office Small Business Edition 2003, and Office Standard Edition 2003 on your main computer and another on your laptop computer for your exclusive, but non-concurrent use. To install a version of these Office 2003 Editions on more than these two computers, you must obtain another license for the program. You can install Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on up to three computers in your household if a household member is qualified. You can work with Office 2003 Editions at your desk and when mobile. Note**Licenses for the 2003 release of Office acquired preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed on another computer.

The only retail copy I ever used was the Student and Teacher Edition, so I suppose thats where I got the three from. I stand corrected.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

MS products are licensed either per device or per user (depending on your license agreement (OEM, Retail, Select, Open, etc) and product. There are a few exceptions, like some office licenses allow you to use it on a laptop and a desktop, or a desktop and via Terminal Services.

For Windows XP, home and pro, it is one copy per machine. For retail, you can buy up to 3 additional licenses at a discount (not much of one either! $30 off retail!)

For Office 2003 you can install 2 copies, one on a PC, one on a tablet/laptop, but it must be used by the SAME user.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That's cool, I didn't know the student version was licensed like that. They really should make a home edition of office with that same license. It's really too damned expensive for normal humans.

13. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:werd:

14. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

thanks guys!

15. Penguin Man

Which is why normal people should say "fuck MS" and switch to OpenOffice.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OpenOffice is really good. I still use MS Outlook 2k3, tho. No other good email substitute, imho.

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Maybe after Novell or somebody polishes it up some. It's still a bit rough around the edges.

18. Penguin Man

I can't stand using MS Office, all the fucking "features" are just annoying, it tries to do too much for you and you end up with no control over how your documents look. OpenOffice is a thousand times better in my opinion.

As for a mail client, I used to use Mulberry, which is excellent, but now I'm using Ximian Evolution which I like better because a) it's free and b) it has a calendar and such that work really well.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Ximian Evolution is definitely nice on the Linux side... Unfortunatly I must use windows for 80% of what I do, so Outlook must suffice there.