Software for keeping hardware inventory

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supernaut, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

What do you guys use to maintain an inventory of your business's hardware, servers/desktops/network equipment and such? My assistant has been asked to find a new solution for our inventory and I'd like to give her a couple of recommendations. We need to track serial numbers, install date, purchase price, warranty, hardware description (CPU, memory, HD, optical, etc), and who has the hardware. Ideally, the software would have the ability to show a history of changes, such as change of ownership and the ability to save notes regarding repairs and such.

2. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

I would also like this information. Currently we are creating databases using Access to keep track of these tedious tasks.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A well set up Access db works pretty well.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

But one has to manually enter in the information. That's the tedious part when you have ten's of thousands of machines, appliances, switches, components. Tedious enough for some of my interns to quit, heh.

We have a few scripts that pull info from some machines via SNMP. But there are limits and dependencies.

With this there are some products out there that do pull system information to a degree, Patrol, OpenView, Tivoli, but I don't know anything third party that pulls serial numbers.

Essentially we've created a slew of managable and non-manageble tools and scripts that pull down this info depending on the type of machine we need info from. This is not an easy task by any standards. Would be a good product for a vendor to create. Must be heterogenous though.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Ohh I gotcha. Yea entering all that is a PIA.

I dont think ePolicy Orchestrator reads serial numbers, but I can check tomorrow. If you can, send me a PM tomorrow morning and I'll look. It looks up a bunch of other system info. Not sure how easy it is to output it all though...