software based spanned volumes suck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Sep 24, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well, it wasn't even a week after i set 2 of my 200gb disks to span one drive letter, that the span failed

i was in the process of transferring everything from the span onto a single 500gb drive, the system (win server 2003 r2) hung after about half of my files transferred. rebooted to find that the span failed.
    could not reactivate the span. grabbed both of the disks and dropped them in another server, nope.
    had to brake the span by deleting the volumes and now running get data back for ntfs. i think one of the hard drives either took a dump or the system screwed it up
    looks like i might lose a few files, probably only the ones that spanned both disks. not a big deal, but a lesson learned

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Ouch...although it didn't seem like a good idea to begin with.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Never use a span (or especially a stripe!) when you can use a RAID. Spans aren't fault-tolerant, and any time you have data on more than one drive, you need to have fault-tolerance to offset the higher risk of data loss due to having multiple parts that can fail.

Hard lesson learned.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

one of the drives took like an hour in getdataback, it didn't have that many files on it

the other drive has taken like almost 24 hours. it would have been done yesterday, but the power went out about 15 hours into it and i didn't have the server hooked up to my ups, shit

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

True, SPANs and Stripes suck for reliability, but software (as in OS created) RAIDs are prone to the same type of failures. The problem is OS spans, stripes, and RAIDs tend to fail when something causes the OS puke all over the partition tables that it uses to create the container in the first place. The data is usually intact, you just have to go read it raw off the disk, or try to repair the partition tables manually (not fun. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt).