Software Application Design

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ibjhb, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ibjhb

ibjhb the original ib

I'm in the planning stages of a large software program. I've got a flowchart designed with the basic table design and I'm getting ready to define the database fields.

Regardless, I had a good programmer/friend tell me I should flowchart the whole program out so there aren't any surprises or so nothing comes up that I didn't think of beforehand. I think it's probably a good idea, but I'm not exactly sure how to do start out. How detailed should I get in the flowchart? Do you get to the point where you are getting too detailed and it becomes overkill?

Does anybody have any experience with large, complicated software design? I'd love to know if you have any tips/tricks for starting out. Thanks!

2. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Learn UML.

Not sure exactly what you plan on coding it in but having all the classes mapped out all the way down to the functionality of each will help you a lot if it's as involved as you make it sound like.

A multi player game project I had to do last semester ended up about 30-40 class, state, Use Case, and sequence diagrams. Came in handy when the project hit about 150 classes and consumed 5 weeks of our lives including a 30+ hour straight coding binge with 4 people frantically trying to finish it. Having detailed diagrams will help you a lot in working together and make sure you have a good CVS system to keep track of your changes and keep you from overwriting good code.

3. ibjhb

ibjhb the original ib

I'll look into it. The plan was to write the whole program in VB.NET with SQL server as the backend. I haven't found a good CVS system for VB yet (I've heard bad things about SourceSafe). The guy I was talking to said to flowchart every form of the application and what each form would call (function-wise) and where each screen would go. I had done simple process flowcharts before but never a whole application. I was hoping to find some examples so I could make sure I was doing things correctly.

4. ibjhb

ibjhb the original ib

Any other ideas?