Soda in Sportronic

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Innocence, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Innocence

Innocence Guest

I spilled sprite in front of my sportronic on one day and the next I spilled lemonade in the actually sportronic. It is sticky, and when I shift, the gears stick slightly.

yes I know - don't drink in the car anymore..

any cleaning ideas?

2. take the console apart, clean with cleaning agent.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You'll have to elaborate. What's a sportronic?

4. Innocence

Innocence Guest

Sportronic shift -- it's a mix between a wannabe stick and an auto.

how would I go about taking the console apart??

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You'll have to check a service manual for your vehicle in order to find out how to take it apart.

6. Innocence

Innocence Guest

what should I use to clean it?

what cleaning agent/product?

7. bmf

bmf Guest

The plastic pieces can be cleaned with basic soap and water. I've disassembled many consoles for cleaning and usually kept a bucket of soapy water nearby and simply dropped the pieces into the bucket for soaking/cleaning.

Everything else will need a mild spray cleaner and lots of clean towels. You do not want an aggressive cleaner as it may affect softer plastic or nylon parts. And be very careful around wiring. Try something like watered down Formula 409 or Simple Green.

Electrical connectors need to be cleaned carefully. A contact cleaner - protectant (avail at Radio Scrap or an electrical supply house) will do a good job cleaning the insides of connectors. But ya should check with a dealer or repair shop and ask how they would clean electrical components to be on the safe side.

Disassemble as much as you can and clean everything you can reach. And be prepared for the possible fact that some parts may need replacement. Good luck.

8. Innocence

Innocence Guest

Ok.. I attempted to pop the plastic thing off with the screwdriver like my manual said... and I somehow got it all back together, but I am not sure its correct and it's not any better. Not to mention that underneath it, theres a WHOLE new world.. I need some more information about where to clean and what parts come off, it's all confusing in there....

pllllllllllllease help. currently my car is not driveable.... cos I can't get it out of park!

9. bmf

bmf Guest

It gonna be hard for us to help cuz we're not there and can't see it.

Assume that everything you can see & touch is covered in soda goo. Clean what you can by hand.

As for other assemblies and parts, only thing I can think of is a shop manual that has the sub-assemblies in an exploded view so you can see how they are put together.

Sorry, I wish I could help more.

10. Innocence

Innocence Guest

okay I am going insane. I have tried to clean but I can't get into those little holes and all I am using is water because I heard 409 was bad for it???

I need to take it off and clean it all around it.. -- The manual helps me none. I have tried to research it and it's a realll problem!! . I don't know how to open it up!! I don't wan't to break it.

I don't check OT that often so if you can please help me my screen name on AOL is TenaciousAngel

11. Innocence

Innocence Guest

Is there anywhere that I could take my car to get it done?

The carpet shampooed and the sportronic cleaned??

Would a dealership do that?

12. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

hello Innocence, i just saw this thread...

first of all, what car do you have? make, model, year, etc.

second, do you have a digital camera or some way to provide us with visual input and feedback?

third, you might want to get a HELM'S service manual for your car if it's available. check www.helminc.com to see. it is perfect for just about *any* DIY job on your car

fourth, you're going have to do more than just pop open the console. you'll have to disassemble your whole sportronic assembly, baring the entire center console. it seems like you spilt quite an amount of liquid in there. worst of all, it was saturated liquid that leaves residue and not just water.

really, try to get a service manual for your car or go to the dealership and ask for the schematics. their parts and service department should be happy to assist you. i can get diagrams for my ej8 any time i want from the dealership.

btw, the dealership's service department would probably be able to clean it, but they might charge you an arm and a leg. it might be cheaper to try a body shop, or really figure it out yourself

hope this helps.