socket question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aim2kill, May 1, 2008.

1. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

i built my pc before the phenoms were released, does my board support the phenom (not sure what socket that is....)

this is my board,
    -AM2 -
    so can i put a phenom in this slot:noes:, and even if so, would i be holding it back? thanks!;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131011

edit: on further review, i see thats a negative. any suggestions on MB with comprible features (i love my MB) to stick a phenom in, or should i just go with the next highest x2 processor? (woman said i can spend some money, yeah!)

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

3. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

yea?
    i mean, i love my mb and 6000+ but was unsure if i would rather get the 6400+ or just jump to the phenom,
    how much of a diffrence does hypertransport 3.0 and split power planes going to make a diffrence to end user?

(sry, im not up to date with the phenoms much....)

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Phenoms = AM2+ socket btw.
    According to AMD, AM2+ chips will work with AM2 boards, and vice versa, but will default to the least features. Unfortunately, the transition to Phenom chips didn't turned out as smooth as AMD planned. Which is why only a few AM2s, and not all AM2+s as well, works with Phenoms.

I haven't seen any concrete benchmarks about the performance diff with HT3.0.
    Split power planes is simply a K10 feature to allow independent voltage supply to the CPU and northbridge. I guess that can make a difference in overclocking but no benchmarks either.

as for your upgrade,.... setting aside the dual core vs quad core debate,... the Phenoms will beat the Athlon X2s clock for clock.
    but right now, that doesn't mean shit because the Phenom's clock speeds aren't high enough to make up any difference.

if I'm buying AMD right now,... the best chip to get imo, is the 5000+ Black Edition and overclock it like hell.
    your 6000+ has a locked multi and its already at it's max at stock.
    the 6400+ and Phenoms costs more and they both don't overclock very well.
    the 5000+ BE can outperform them with the fraction of the price.

but srsly dude,.... forget it.
    there is no AMD chip that exists today that is even in the same league as the Intel Wolfdales.
    doesn't matter if it's dual, tri-core, quad, black-edition, or overclocked,... an E8400 will still rape its ass.

fyi, i'm no intel or amd fanboy, i just sackride whoever is on top. :wiggle:

5. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

thanks!

-> suggestion on a mb and proccessor with comprable features (they obviosly outpower them)

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Browse newegg for Gigabyte P35s, select the features you want. (e.g. available SATA ports, # of pci/pci-e slots, etc.)
    DS3L minimum.
    New mobos with the P45 chipset will come out this June.

CPU,.... depends if you want to overclock, or your budget.
    E8200 or E8300, as long as you oc'd them at 3.0GHz or above, no AMD chip can match it.
    E8400 is 3.0GHz stock, just buy it, install it, then call it a day.

7. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

details? im not familiar with intel much, i can however give you current machine:

Antec p190 case
    coolermaster 850w PSU
    asus msn32 sli wireless mb
    amd 6000+
    4gb corsair 4-4-4-12 XMS2 ram
    500gb hdd [16mb cache, no 32 :( ]
    2 SATA optical drives
    and of course,
    BFG tech 8800 ultra OC edition

planned expansions upon return from deployment:
    water cooling
    hdd's (2?)
    and possibly a MB and proccessor switch (pending this thread, haha) my only concern is price, i dont know now, but when i bought my 6000, intel was WAY more expensive than AMD, so, i went the cheaper route, i still get 3.01 w/o oc my proccesor per core, so i dont consider it slow... I dont have too much problem with it, but i was looking to make a second machine for a media server and to store all pictures, DVDs, movies and things on, and piggy back my desktop off of it. so i was wondering, would the AMD be better suited for a lifestyle in a simple media server maybe? (looking for excuses to build and buy here...:hsd:)

edit: budget is negotiable, and overclocking isnt out of the question, i certainly have the space and power and (possibly liquid cooling) to do an OC rig, so i hav a lot of options for chips. i do some gaming, but mostly i am a media, and overtasking whore, i run tons of apps or maybe a game like cod4, cysis, c&c3, things like that.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

DS3L or GA-P35-DS3L is one of Gigabyte's cheapest board for the P35 model series.
    It's very basic. no onboard raid, no 1394, etc. this is what they call a 'vanilla' board.
    A lot of oters here use that board.

here's a chart from newegg comparing the Gigabyte models:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813128087,N82E16813128059,N82E16813128064

the Intel stock cooler is sufficient for stock. but if you want to oc, air cooling with those large heatsinks like the Zalman 9700, Tuniq Tower, etc, will also give you great results. Sometimes, they are actually even better than shitty water cooling setups. if you really want to go the watercooling route, avoid the cheap ones, they suck. I highly recommend Swiftech.

for the hdds, in that gigabyte chart, you'll notice that the DS3L only has 4 SATA ports. the other higher models has 8.

well, consider this,... Intel's Core 2 architecture process more instructions per clock cycle than AMD's K8 architecture (or even K10).
    your 6000+ @ 3.0GHz is comparable to the old E6600 @ 2.4GHz.
    to match the E6850 @ 3.0GHz stock, your 6000+ must have a clock speed of 3.6GHz or above.
    Penryn is a bit faster than Conroe.
    so to match the E8400 @ 3.0GHz stock, your 6000+ must have a clock speed of 3.8GHz or above.
    unfortunately, the 6000+ oc's around 3.2 or 3.4GHz only, while the Intels are still half asleep at stock speeds, using less power, and generating less heat.

now,... imagine what those people with insane overclocks of the E8400 think of your 6000+?
    I know a guy who has his E8400 stable at 4.3GHz. he'll probably think your 6000+ is very slow.

I don't really think your rig is that slow or bad. it's just not the best/kick ass/performance monster right now.
    I will actually suggest you keep it intact, then have the Intel rig as a new build.
    But all of that depends on your budget of course.

9. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

duly noted.

well, consider this,... Intel's Core 2 architecture process more instructions per clock cycle than AMD's K8 architecture (or even K10).
    your 6000+ @ 3.0GHz is comparable to the old E6600 @ 2.4GHz.
    to match the E6850 @ 3.0GHz stock, your 6000+ must have a clock speed of 3.6GHz or above.
    Penryn is a bit faster than Conroe.
    so to match the E8400 @ 3.0GHz stock, your 6000+ must have a clock speed of 3.8GHz or above.
    unfortunately, the 6000+ oc's around 3.2 or 3.4GHz only, while the Intels are still half asleep at stock speeds, using less power, and generating less heat.

now,... imagine what those people with insane overclocks of the E8400 think of your 6000+?
    I know a guy who has his E8400 stable at 4.3GHz. he'll probably think your 6000+ is very slow.

thats what i didnt know, i know amd and intel roll with different arch. inside their chips but didnt know how they compare. roger that on the keep intact, i think i have what i need for now, but will def. consider intel for my server build, sounds good, nice to talk to someone whos not a fan or has biased opinions, and also knows what their talking about. thanks. i will keep you posted on the build :big grin: thanks :bigthumb:

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If you're talking about a file server, the cpu is kind of a moot point.

And old Celeron can keep up with the most demanding file server needs.