SRS Sociological question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jul 17, 2006.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Is it common for a younger sibling to stay in the "young and innocent" phase longer while they grow up. I say this because i have noticed that the friends I have, including myself, don't seem like their personalities developed fully. It is almost as if they still rely on their older brother or sister to do all the talking and take all the action for them. As oppose to the older siblings, who are more in "control" and show more confidence.

Anyone notice this?

2. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I'm a younger brother, and yes me and my brother share some same interest, but I really am Independent and out going... it is good to have an older bro, I can ask him for help on stuff I havn't experienced yet...

3. JJDiri

JJDiri New Member

I'm a middle child. I've noticed in all of the families of my friends that the youngest member of the family is most definitely pampered. They are spoiled, and, as a result, typically grow up dependent on others.

For example, I was mowing the lawn by the time I was eight. My sister is too lazy to even pour everyone at the dinner table a glass of water.

If she ever gains enough maturity to act on her own, I will be amazed.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Older siblings tend to be more dominant and in control because they had no older siblings to look out for them and control them. The pack mentality makes the older siblings look after the younger ones and protect them. This further widens the gap, making the older ones more responsible and the younger ones have more protection, so they become more care free.

Generally speaking, people look for their counterparts. The older siblings (the responsible ones) look for a carefree mate, and vice-versa.

It's not so much that they haven't matured, it's that they've matured along a different route.

5. johan

johan Active Member

You have just noticed a key feature of "birth order" Do some reading on this. It is not astrology or any bushwa like that. Birth order profoundly influences the development of your personality.

Only child, oldest, middle child, and youngest; these roles that siblings play all show remarkably consistent personality features which cut across cultural guidelines and expectations.