SRS social skills...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by StayLRG, Dec 19, 2007.

1. StayLRG

StayLRG New Member

growing up the way i did i spent a lot of time to myself, and now my social skills are lacking. i want to go out and meet people, but i never know what to say even when i'm around groups of friends. anybody have any self help books about dealing with building up confidence and proper social skills? dunno what books are worth reading and which aren't.

2. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

honestly the best way to do learn to socialize is to be around people and observe. it will help you build up your confidence. recognizing speech patterns, etc. that is all thru observational learning. so ya just gotta get out and do it!

3. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Like said above, be around people and even try and add things to the conversation. Also, just like everyone else, talk about yourself, but don't brag. If someone is talking about something you can relate to, explain.

4. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

or talk about common interests, cool stuff you did, or want to do, what you want to do later today, etc.

5. Jake!

Jake! Guest

is toastmasters still around?

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Check out "How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. It's a classic, but the ideas are still relevant today.

Also check out "How To Talk To Anyone" and "How To Make Anyone Fall In Love With You," both by Leil Lowndes. She has tons of good exercises and ideas that will help you get more comfortable.

7. Titan King

Titan King New Member

Never hesitate. Once you start hesistating, even once, you can't speak or get the words out after that.

8. KSNIPPY

KSNIPPY As lost as i get i will find you

yeah i think so

9. 2500

2500 Guest

and don't bullshit just to make yourself sound good or to relate to other people. i know people who no matter what i say, will say something similar, and i know they are lying and just BSing and its annoying.

example:

I met a guy my bf works with the other night. i drive an expedition right now, and he was rambling on how he jacked one up 8 inches and did mudding tires, yadda yadda, and i'm like "yeah, thats cool, i hate that car. its temporary cuz i sold my twin turbo lexus." him: "yeah, i had an twin turbo el camino, it used to lift the front wheels off the ground when it shifted into second gear." uuuuuuugh, stfu, please.

so, just be yourself and never try adding stories or "fitting in" material that isn't true cuz people pick up on it. good way to avoid that is hang around people who have common interests.