SRS Social problems.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by korverftw, Jun 14, 2009.

1. korverftw

korverftw New Member

I'm a friendly guy and I definitely have no problem talking with people or makng a good impression. I've had plenty of jobs and can make friends when I want to. The problem is I'm uncomfortable when it comes to meeting new people. My friends constantly ask me to go to parties and I have to make excuses because something about it just doesn't feel right. Deep down, I know good things would happen if I went (meeting new friends, girls, etc).

I have 2-3 friends that I hang out with (which is fine IMO) but most of the time I truly prefer sitting in my room playing guitar and watching TV. Again, I'm a reasonably good looking, charming person. I've had girlfriends and jobs like a normal guy but I just don't feel comfortable going to parties and stuff. Is this something I can get over?

2. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

im the same wayyyy, id rather sit here and entertain myself than go out and be around a bunch of new people.

3. Daria

Daria New Member

Personally, I hate parties. I don't drink or smoke and I hate small talk. I feel most relaxed when I'm at home. I think some people are just like this.

However, as long as you go out with your friends to do things you like (ie. sports, movies, dinners, etc.), you'll be OK. Spend time with people that are most important to you. Force yourself to go to a party just once in awhile for the chance to meet new people. Keep a reasonable balance.

4. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

Hehe. You sound like a mirror image of me.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ah yeah well it comes down to that you need to 'kick the feeling' out of your life. Just because it doesn't 'feel' right, doesn't mean it isn't right. Just put your mind on zero and go for it.

6. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Wow, I can't believe how people feel that way! I lived my life with two mottos...
    "You always regret the chances you never take" (e.g., usually the outcomes can yield great potential)
    &
    "Face your fears, don't avoid your fears."

7. GuantanamoBay

GuantanamoBay New Member

I'm like that too. We're just introverted.

Extrovert recharge energy when talking to people and spend it when alone.
    Introvert spend energy when talking to people and recharge it when alone.

8. OniMinion

I guess my point is that you can change that.

Christ, read "The Game" by Neil Strausss... It's not just a book about being a pickup artist - it's a book about changing yourself as a person. Confidence is very attractive, you need to learn how to use it. sitting at home is an excuse, not a state-of-mind - that is a bullshit excuse you created to justify your actions.

No one meets friends, girls, or gets the job of their dreams mopping at home! Read the book, before Neal is Style, he is a total dork with the same "introverted" mentality. The book is about him changing from a caterpillar to a butterfly. It's not just how to get laid.

9. northw3st

northw3st New Member

There's nothing wrong with that. Be yourself. Next question please.

10. Reukie

Reukie ...

I'm much the same way. I can be friendly, I can be approached easily. But when meeting new people, I tend to be very shy. As a result, I tend to push people away or hide/get away from them.

I only have a couple of friends. The problem is that I have started resenting them.

Pretty soon I'm sure I'll have no one.

11. disley

disley Ooooh no it isn't. Ooooh yes it is. OT Supporter

Be careful, as an older person, I've seen the last 25 years fly by and wonder where they went. Don't waste your time, you can find someone who likes a quiet life like you to settle down with.

12. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

Most people grow the most when they are forced out of their comfort zone.

I have a friend who made it a point to say, "yes," whenever he was invited somewhere... he didn't stay long much of the time, but he found that his commitment to accepting invitations helped him a lot socially.

13. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

jesus, most of you in this forum are so god damn emo.

14. OniMinion

...constructive comment...

15. Daria

Daria New Member

No one? I got the job of my dreams by "mopping" at home doing my homework and going to class.

As for friends and boyfriends, I met them through school and work and I definitely would not have met the particular people in my life at parties.

I don't go to parties. I'm not a social butterfly. I couldn't be happier with my life as it is, with friends and a partner who accept me for who I am and who all hang out with me doing the same things I like to do.

16. Daria

Daria New Member

it is possible to resolve this problem with practice. I had this problem growing up, but as I get older and get more experience being around people, I am less and less this way

Why are you starting to resent them?