SRS Social Phobia & Obsessive Thoughts

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Car, May 10, 2005.

1. Car

Car New Member

I definitely have Social Phobia. I was finally diagnosed with it at age 41 after years of false assumptions and misdiagnoses and after a lifetime of suffering its unique cruelties. I'm 47 now. I'm taking Celexa (20mg).

The Celexa helps quash the depression that was such a pervasive part of my Social Phobia. I'm also more outgoing and socially able, although I still harbor niggling fears and exhibit some minor, uncomfortable coping strategies. I would say that the medication has been good for me. I'm much "better" than I was.

My problem is that the lifted depression, and the subsiding of the fear has unmasked another symptom. I have a lot of intrusive thoughts.

I thought they were a minor part of a bigger problem back when I was really suffering and not being effectively treated, but they've been the most steadfast and difficult aspect to conquer in my cluster of anxiety traits.

My thoughts always revolve around embarrassments that I've suffered (real or imagined), conflicts I've been in (verbal...while in my "dark days"), and a host of varied "bad" emotions and remembered occurrences that burst into my thoughts while I'm doing daily tasks. They are usually precipitated by some trigger. Watching TV usually brings on a host of bad thoughts since there are so many different scenarios being played out on the tube over an evening. Sometimes I even groan quietly as the negative thought passes over me in a wave. I have to cover up this behavior if I do it accidentally while in public by pretending to have a body ache of some sort (pretending to have a sore shoulder is a favorite).

I don't relate at all to the OCD examples usually given. For example, "did I turn off the gas?", "maybe I'll catch disease germs", or "I'm afraid I'll hurt someone", or the other examples commonly given. But I'm wondering if these thoughts are OCD, or just a remnant of a life lived mentally ill, for so long, untreated; they do, after all seem centered around embarrassment, ridicule, fear, etc. All emotions that are central to Social Phobia.

I haven't had much attention paid to this aspect of my Social Phobia by any professional (not currently seeing any though), so I was wondering if anyone else with Social Phobia has had problems with intrusive thoughts. I have that annoying thought that maybe *I'm the only one in the world that feels this way!* Please say it ain't so. :)

2. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

OCD doesn't have to be "my hands are dirty, so i'll wash them 100 times" but it can be obsessive thoughts.

i have the obsessive thought problem, putting myself in violent imagery. Weird shit too, like getting my head sliced off by a paper cutter... weird I know.

I took prozac for that and depression and it helped quite a bit, i'm off the prozac now so im waiting to see if it comes back or not. I don't expect it to since i'm on strattera for ADHD which is an SNRI and a sister pill to Prozac.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Why on earth do you even care what others think? You are your own judge in life, so im quite puzzled why you gave so much credit what other people think? why care? If anything there are 6 billion people on the world who all think differently about you, you cannot possibly satisfy them all, so why care about what they think? Start wearing what you like yourself and not caring a dam thing what others wear, think what you like to think, and don't be weirded out by it. Every now and then weird thoughts come with everyone. Its just keeping them there and not putting them into practise what is important, unless they are innovating and inventive that could benefit everyone that is.

4. johan

johan Active Member

OCD isn't necessarily thinking about dirty dooknobs or touching the taps etc.

Have a quick read about OCD with Primary Obsessions (one of the many sub-types of OCD).

Imagine being tortured by repeated thoughts of stabbing your child or having sex with your minister -- thoughts that won't go away no matter how hard you try to suppress them.

In the largest study of its kind ever conducted in North America, University of British Columbia researchers will spend four years treating 120 people suffering from this disorder, previously thought to be untreatable.

A subtype of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), the illness is called OCD with primary obsessions. Characterized by persistent, unwanted and repugnant thoughts that are not acted upon, the disorder affects men and women equally and can develop in childhood. The cause is unknown but symptoms deteriorate with stress. The most common OCD primary obsessions involve sexual, violent or blasphemous content and may include repugnant thoughts about God, hurting a loved one or inappropriate sexual acts.

Sufferers account for about 20 per cent of all OCD patients. Unlike other forms of OCD, the disorder has no visible symptoms, which makes it extremely difficult to diagnose and virtually untreatable. In addition, the disorder is more resistant to medication than other forms of OCD.

"This is a common disorder that is largely unrecognized because people are ashamed to talk about it," says UBC Psychiatry Prof. Peter McLean, who is leading the study. "People are often misdiagnosed and treated for the depression and stress that often accompany the disorder."

A team of 10 OCD experts at the Anxiety Disorders Unit of UBC Hospital will compare the effectiveness of two different therapies, both of which focus on thoughts and behaviour.

"This and other forms of OCD can be crippling, yet there are no specialized treatment programs in B.C. and many patients are being sent to the U.S. for help," says co-investigator Maureen Whittal. "U.S. hospital stays that may last weeks or months can cost up to $600 US per day - Canadian taxpayers are absorbing the costs."

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Sounds kinda like tourette's, without any physical tics...

6. Car

Car New Member

That's the beauty of a phobia, friend. I know it's an irrational fear.

7. Car

Car New Member

Hmm. That's very helpful. Thanks for that.

8. Car

Car New Member

Yes, I've often thought it's like Tourettes. It feels like what Tourettes sufferers describe.

Thanks to all for helping me with your posts. I appreciate it.