SRS Social Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by coolchrisrm, Oct 24, 2004.

1. coolchrisrm

coolchrisrm Because if I wear it any place else, it chafes.

Anyone else suffer from this?

:hs:

makes life very tough :(

2. TheHeffNerr

TheHeffNerr New Member

i think i do :dunno: not sure

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I always use the , it's like going to the dentist story,it might be scary but you go thru that door alive, and you come out of it alive too. Think about it, is there any conversation which you have not survived so far? Still alive so far, that's why it's just silly. Talking to people is usually just a informality, exchange of information that's all. Shouldn't consider it any more then just that.

4. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

i think i have it. because my mom and brother do. they are both on paxil. but i dont have that kind of money, but they both say it helps much.

5. imgoingaow

imgoingaow Republican Automaton

yeah it does make life tough

6. vierstein

vierstein New Member

i'm pretty sure i have it
    i think the best way is just to work past it
    I always think of an exceuse so i never do :(

7. MV0093

MV0093 ......

I have it. It got bad for a while all that I would do is go to work and come home. Didn't want to spend time with friends or family much. Been taking effexor for a year and am feeling great!:wiggle:

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

no av no care

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I feel bad because people always talk to me when I'm not in the mood to talk, which is often.

10. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Ive got it, but I am usually fine on my day to day life. The biggest time I have problems now is when I go out to eat, with a group of friends outside my normal circle. There was a meet on a different forum earlier this month. We were all talking and all was good, we went to eat and I got all nervous. I passed off the excuse that since I work graves, and should have been asleep, if I eat I would get sleepy and didnt want to drive home that way. Everybody seemed to accept the lame ass excuse. I had my food packed up as takeout and munched on the soup that came with the dinner.

Still hard, makes me wonder how life will be later.

On a different note, I do have a perscription for Xanax and Paxil. When I am on those, I am considerably better, but I really dont like depending on drugs to alter my mood. Time has progressed to now, people havent dropped dead from conversation, and those drugs wernt out yet and people survived.

11. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

What actually qualifies someone has having SAD? I have an old friend that I sometimes suspects has it because he's extremely quiet around anyone he doesn't know... but then again sometimes he isn't super talkative with me either, so I don't know...

12. veonake

Fear of embarassment or humiliation in situations where you are exposed to the scrutiny of others or must perform... usually causing avoidance of the situation altogether, although some still endure the situation but with considerable anxiety. Often the concern of those with S.A.D. will fear they will say or do something that will cause others to judge them as being anxious, weak, crazy or stupid. The concern is almost always out of proportion to the situation, but at the same time the person recognizes the excessiveness of the fear.

You are diagnosed with it if it interferes with work, social activities, important relationships, or causes you considerable stress.

13. Reznik

Reznik New Member

There are different degrees of S.A.D. One person might be just suffering from a situation like the one above (eating in a restaurant). Others suffer through all aspects of social contact in their lives.
    It is a fear of being judged by others. For ex. What if they think I am weird or what if I make a mistake while talking to that girl? Things like that. These may sound normal to everyday people but it is a disease for others with S.A.D. These thoughts are often accompanied by physical symptoms like sweating, shaking, rapid heart beat etc.
    I had S.A.D. from five years ago...but now it is under control thanks to my medication and exposure therapy. If you don't have the drive to get better now...it is going to be much difficult to get better later on in life.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  14. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

:sadwavey: I hate going out to eat with people i dont know.. i cant make eye contact with people i dont know.. i also either get really quite.. or if its a weird sit. i talk alot because of home uncomfee i am.. i rather just stay at home with my hubby and daughter.. i also will get panic attacks if a place is too crowded.. it makes my mind go wacko

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I just get really bored with talking about the same things over and over. Plus when people talk about stuff they think they know, I just let them think they're right instead of correcting them because I'm afraid of looking like a smart ass. Unfortunately I get a chance to actually talk maybe once every 5 minutes while everyone else is going strong. Unless of course you talk about something that truely interests me and you've also done your homework on it, but rarely is someone able to keep up with me mentally. The conversation always drifts to something I know too much about and I get bored again.

16. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

Paxil is your friend. Councilling might help to get toi the root causes of why your withd4rawn too.

17. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

Paxil makes me angry.. so its not my friend

18. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

Yeah, the side effects are killing me here but it can be helpful to people for SAD's.

19. TwiggSS

TwiggSS eh?

20. cs13

cs13 Guest

/yourself

21. veonake

suck me you avatarless newb. :eek3: lol
    Anyways, the guy is my friend who was sitting next to me when I posted. :mamoru:

22. coolchrisrm

coolchrisrm Because if I wear it any place else, it chafes.

this is not the right place to make remarks like that

23. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

24. cs13

cs13 Guest

some friend you are, jackass.

25. SFLegend

SFLegend .

I think i've had this for a couple of years, but I recently just started seeking help about it. It really sucks. I try to go out with people, but I just wind up being quiet and saying little to nothing. I think it's because I just think about things too much like What if I sound stupid or what if they don't say anything in response. I hate being by myself all the time, but I dunno sometimes I just fell I can't help myself. I was thinking about going on Paxil, but I read about some people going through withdrawal symptoms after stopping and I don't want to go through all that.