Soccer playing/endurance..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by INFERNO2K, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INFERNO2K

INFERNO2K Made in China

I'm recently playing in a professional new soccer league. All is good except I have a problem of my own.

I'll admit. I have not been to the gym since last summer :noes:. I lost all my endurance. I play striker and am constantly having to run back and forth down the field. Problem is, that I can only last like 10-15 minutes now before I am out of breath and walking which can ultimately cost the team the game if we dont keep the ball on the other side.

I'd like to last longer ( :naughty: ). Any tips/suggesstions on to get me started? Should I go for slow jogs every morning (downhill? uphill?) Basketball for an hour each day? Treadmill? Biking (which I do at least twice a week already) Stationary biking?

How can I improve my endurance? :cool:

2. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

hey cool, i'm a striker for my team as well :bigthumb: in the mornings i do 3 miles jogging and before practice i do maybe about 5 laps on the track. used to be able to do more, but i'm getting a bit long in the tooth.

3. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

check out HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). From what I understand, that's the best and most efficient way to get back in shape. More importantly, it's very similar to what you'll be doing as a forward: sprinting for a short period of time then just chillaxing for a bit, repeat

4. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

yep yep.... midfielder here were the kings of running the field.

in highschool our soccer coach was a former equador pro player. he had us on 2 practices a day before season started and only one a day during season.

practice one started off with 2 lap slow jog around soccer field....light strectching...then 3.5 mile HIIT run. wed run...sprint...jog...walk....grapevine...sidestep in both directions...run backwards...anything he could think of to keep using different muscles in different ways and keep our heart rate going up and down just like in a real game.

then after that 2 hour practice doing lower key stuff like penalty and corner kicks.

evening practice was 3 hours....half drills...half scrimage.

but im not on a team right now. mostly what i do to train now is make sure i run EVERYDAY!!! even if its only like 2 miles at a slow pace i still run. i usually run about 4 to 5 miles every other day straight though and i only allow myself to walk if my running starts being slower than my jog. then on off days HIIT. sprint 30 seconds....run jog 30 secs....i usually go for about 15 min. you can mix up the sprint and jog interval times some if you want...but sprinting for mor than 30 sec straight at all out gets to be about the limit you can handle and keep doing the cycle over and over. anywho i got soft too from not much playing the past couple of years. int he past 2 months ive been on this routine with weight lifting too....i can go bust out 4 miles now in about 30 mins with a sprints thrown in here and there now and when im done...i wlak for about 2 blocks and my breeathing and haeart rate are back down as if i barely just jogged a mile.

going on runs that have some uphills, downhills and flats helps some too. try and maintain your speed on regular runs through the different terrain and it will help you get used to changes in intensity.

I used to cross country ski race and we basically followed the alternating days of trianed distance and HIIT too.

anywho thats what i do and it works. i can run with best of them again after only a couple months of hard training. im planning on running a marathon this fall now too so thats my new motivation for training.
    Hope this helps ya out.

5. Diablo5xpac

Diablo5xpac New Member

what league you playing for?

6. Diablo5xpac

Diablo5xpac New Member

how old are u?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.