GUN So you wanna build a .308 "sniper weapon" huh? Here's my preferences.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Whitey McCracken, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I have seen so many posts on here about bolt action SWS's and precision rifles I figured I would throw my 2 cents in. There are so many great rifles out there the decision on purchasing one with the right combo that suits you can be tricky, first off I'm not a fan of the FN, even though it does use the Winchester action and is built at the same plant, but hey to each their own, my choice personally in this whole matter would be an SC1 custom build, but that's also a 3k dollar weapon, there are only about 3 basic SWS's I would ever consider in .308 that are out of the box performers here they are-

1. Winchester M70 Stealth. This IS the best out of box weapon you can get, I have never ever seen a problem with any of these rifles and they are great shooters, best bolt weapon you will find that is manufactured, sub MOA out of the box no problem.

2. Savage 10FP short action or Savage 110. This is a great out of box weapon that shoots sub MOA for around $400 dollars, and parts are readily available for it everywhere now, from Douglas barrels to SSS Extended bolt handles, you can't go wrong.

3. Rem. 700PSS and 700 Varmint. Great rifles with a great action, it's not an M24 and has in the past had some problems but for the price it's a decent choice, I would pick up a Winchester Stealth over this weapon any day of the week, but it is a proven performer in the right hands.

Depending on what you want be prepaired to spend from $400 to $700 on a manufactured rifle, The 700s go for well $700, the M70 Stealth is around $600 and the Savages are around $400. Total weapon package with optics and rings/base expect it to vary from $1500 - $2000. Don't skimp on rings and base either, you'll be sorry. Leupold Mk4 rings, ARMS, Badger, GG&G should be your only choices for rings/bases.

Now on for scopes, ahh my specialty. Optic wise depending on the distance you prefer shooting is up to you, but don't skimp on your optics. For longer distances say 600 meters+ in .308 you will need a 20 MOA base and at these distances most shooters prefer 30mm tubes, remember on a 168 grain bullet you have about 13 feet of bullet drop at 800 meters, and after that it's going down like a rock, the US Army says 800 meters is the max effective range for .308, the Marines say 915 so take your pick . I am a fixed 10 power type of guy myself, but if you are looking for a vari powered scope the max I would probly go on a .308 for distance is a 20-25 power optic, magnification on these does effect point of bullet impact.

There are optics for every application and budget, I have tried just about every optic out there and these are my favorites from low price to high, all these optics are top performers and these are my personal opinions but others may vary. My favorite from low price to high-

1. Bushnell elite 3200 fixed 10x40 mildot. First off, this is not a Bushnell optic, it is Bausch and Lomb and just carries the Bushnell trademark, this optic is supreme and is the best bang for the buck coming in at an average price of $160 dollars, every sniper should have one of these just for backup, the clarity of this optic is no shit up there next to the Leupolds and I have heard others say it's better in clarity, opinions may vary. But this scope IS a must have, whether you want it on your weapon or just for something that you are going to throw in your pack with a set of QD rings just for backup, this is definatly a must have.

2. SWFA Super Sniper 10x40 fixed. This is a great and proven in battle optic, plus the warranty from SWFA is unbeatable. Yes yes, I know this was TASCO's production scope years ago, but guess what, SWFA redesigned this bitch and there is nothing stopping it. Coming in at $300 dollars, this optic is a bargain and gives you features that $1300 Leupolds can't argue with. This is a definate buy if your budget won't allow you to dump $1k on an optic.

3. Nikon Monarch and Buckmaster. Floating in for an average price of $400 dollars, these optics are variable powered and great, I don't own one personally but I have used them and they are worth every penny. These 2 models are great choices if you want a vari powered scope and again are on a budget, my favorite though of the 2 is the Buckmaster 6x18 power, sweet jeebus I get a boner thinking about this optic, for $300 bucks it is a performer on a beer budget.

4. Nikon Tactical. Hot damn, this baby purrs, no shit. I love this optic it is a variable powered optic up to 16x power depending on the model and this guy in my opinion is worth every penny, look to spend about $800 give or take on this guy, the only negative thing I have ever experienced with this optic is that it has 1/4 inch adjustments that I am just not a fan of on vari powered scopes.

5. Leupold MkIV. Ahh yes this is the optic by which all others are judged. There is nothing to really say about this baby, proven performer, rugged, reliable, unbeatable in every catagory, pricey, expect to pay from $800 to $1400 for one of these babies, but it is money well spent.

6. Nightforce NXS. Ok now this is just my opinion ofcourse, but it is the best optic out there, now I've never tried US Optics so I'm sure there will be arguments over this, but I'm not spending $3k on a scope period. This optic has it all, and like the MkIV and the Nikon Tactical it has side parralax adjustment and the glass is fukking primo, I love these optics but be prepaired to shell out up to $1400 for one of these babies. Damn these are nice.

So there you have it, now of course this was an out of the box rifle build post, not a custom weapon system that is going to run 3k for rifle alone, and again all these opinions on rifles and optics were just that, opinions, but in my personal interest these are the best combinations that have worked best for me. Feel free to add your comments and opinions, and if I have left anything out please feel free to speak up!

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The LTR is capable of everything that the PSS is, with all but the absolute best precision shooters in the world. Out to 1000 yards, the LTR holds right there with the PSS, and is lighter, less expensive (if I remember correctly), and otherwise about the damn same.

The FN SPR is a really kickass precision rifle as well. They have like 1/2 MOA groups with a chrome-lined barrel.

3. Not a fan of the FN and detach mag SWS are in my opinion worthless. I don't know too many precision shooters that reach out to 1000 with .308. That's why God invented 338 Lapua. Trying to go 1000 with a 308 doesn't happen all to often.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

If you really want to shoot 1000 yards or whatever, buy some reloading equipment and do it right. It takes some time and money, but it's more accurate and a hell of alot more satisfying then just throwing down $23 a box for Match ammo.

And fuck the .338 Lapua, they're only meant for Militaries or people with deep pockets :o

5. Are you kidding me? The 338 outshoots the 50 BMG at MOA at distance. This round will replace the .300 win mag. this round is super popular amongst distance and match shooters.

6. 7

If I really wanted a Lapua I'd just get a .338 Ultra Mag, almost identical to the lapua and doesnt cost $50 a box.

7. This is why you load your own.

8. 7

...and it's still fucking expensive. 338 Ultra Mag is $46.99 for 100 pieces of Remington brass from Midway; 338 Lapua is $148.99 for Norma and $162.99 for Lapua.

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Muther Fawkin DAWT.

Look at my AV
    <=======
    I luv's my LTR. Light, Short, swings easy, bullbarrel accuracy and .75 moa with NATO surplus... Good enough for me

Looking to rescope with a burris when I get the money. but the simmons atec does it's job, and to me, is as clear as a luepold with better field of view, lower end lueopold that is.
    Here she is in all her glory.
    Click for bigger pic
    [​IMG]
    edit for picture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I reload but dont have a 338, sometimes on the auction sites you can find good deals on once fire brass though.. before ebay got all anti gun I actually picked up some brass real cheap as long with a few AR and AK accessories.. but theres still several gun specific auction sites..

11. 7

You can still buy brass on Ebay actually, along with alot of other guns parts. Alot of times it actually has a better selection than Gunbroker and other sites, which is surprising.

12. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

My Tikka T3 Varmint > Any of those guns you listed.
    -Free float barrel
    -bedded action
    -the standard barrel shoots better than 1 MOA, my bull barrel should (in the right hands) shoot 1/2 MOA

I do have a Nikon buckmaster scope w/mildot reticle and good rings though :)

Now if I could just get my mildot master in so I know how to use the damn thing properly

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah they still do have some gun stuff but i stopped browing after they stopped allowing any sort of ar or ak stuff, I know theres still some on there people find the proper ways to word it but theres so much airsoft shit now I hate having to go through it all

14. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

same as the remingtons:rolleyes:

15. LoL @ your plastic sniper rifle.