SRS So Yeah, I need to make a thread. v. Injury

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Normie, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

Few people on OT may know back in 06, I was hit on the head during a bar fight (no I didn't start it, nor was I part of it). I was hit with a whiskey bottle twice. Once directly to the back of the head, and as I turned to find out where that came from, the second shot hit me on the left side of my head slightly above and behind my ear..

The first shot slightly fractured my skull, and caused an epidural hematoma (blood clot between my brain and skull)

The second shot fractured my skull near my temporal lobe (12cm wide fracture) which forced air into my mastoid (whatever that is, is in the inner ear)

Some part of these injuries evidently damaged my brain. I have no sense of smell or taste, my short term memory SUCKS, I get dizzyness and vertigo at random times, my spelling and speech are affected and my vocabulary which was pretty good before, has been dropped down to a lower level.. If someone calls me, and I say "Call you in ten minutes" I completely forget about them unless I write it down.. If I make plans before I go to bed for the next day, I forget what I was supposed to do the following day.

I get side tracked pretty easily, mostly because of my memory.. If I stop doing one thing for another, I just about completely forget what I was originally doing.

As I get tired, a lot of these symptoms multiply exponentially, to where people think I am either drunk or stoned because of slowed/slurred speech and my loss of balance/swaying.

All of my muscles are tight because my body seems to know I am swaying or off balance and they tighten up to help stabilize myself. So most of the time I am sore as fuck which makes me more tense stress wise..

When I lay down, my vertigo kicks in.. It feels like that game when you put your forehead on the end of a bat and spin around till you fall.. That feeling when you stop moving but you fell like you still are is vertigo. Thats the time if I am going to bed, I have to keep spinning/flipping over till it stops.

Now with the season change, I start itching like crazy as soon as I get home and start relaxing. It feels like I rolled around in fibreglass insulation naked, and it doesn't stop.. I've resorted to taking tylenol PM just to get to sleep..

I guess I'm really not looking for advice, cause mostly because I don't think theres any "fix" just needed to vent.. :hsd:

I'll probably add more as I remember them later, or answer any questions..

2. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

That's terrible. And to think that people in DIAC think that proposals to ban pint glasses in UK pubs because of them being used as weapons in bar fights is pussyfication :rolleyes:

3. Fachh

Fachh New Member

thats fucking awful dude

=(

sorry to hear

4. 7960

7960 New Member

my boss got in a car accident and lived like this for a year, before he finally found a doctor said the accident probably knocked the calcium "stones" in his ear loose.

he had a treatment where they put him on a table and twisted and turned his head, to force the stones to get lodged in part of the ear so they're not floating around any more.

he walked in basically disabled, and walked out 100% perfect.

I thought he was bullshitting, until my father fell and hit his head and was dizzy for a month. I called my boss and asked if he was just fucking around with me and told him about my father. he said he'd call my father and talk to him, so he'd know how to talk to the doctor. he called, they talked, my father found a doc who could do the procedure, and he went home that night 100% fine.

here

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103463398

it might help.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Actually, I thought you wrote this thread very well. It flowed well and held the audience. I'm not sure of what you wanted us to post in response.

I'm sorry to hear what happened. Strange things happen to people all of the time - and a lot of the time it's outside their control.

6. Normie

I basically see a neurologist on a twice a year basis now. Basically to ensure nothing gets worse. From what a few different doctors said is that if my sense of smell etc didn't come back in 2 years it most likely won't at all.

With the season change my vertigo and itchyness get worse, so I am thinking about getting a third opinion, maybe something else is goin on :o

Stupid bartender left the whiskey bottle on the counter when the fight broke out.. I happened to be at the bar ordering drinks at the same time. I wish it was a beer bottle or mug, the dude would have been flattened and I wouldn't be where I am today :hs:

Thanks, shit happens, I'm really just kinda venting/ranting since I just got another collections notice from the hospital (no insurance) but the bill is getting paid by some violent crime unit.. So everything, including my credit is fucked..

Yeah unfortunately I have air pockets.. They can't get "lodged" etc etc.. I think there is an operation that can potentially fix it, but my doctor says it's risky to my hearing or creating more damage..

Thanks for the kind words everyone..

7. Normie

it took me two hours to write the thread, and I am certain there are grammar and spelling errors.

It took me three minutes to remember how to spell "violent" in my last reply.. if I just start typing things go really off :o.. I actually have to say what I am typing in my head, and when I get stuck I leave and come back to finish or refine.

Yeah not sure of what kind of replies I was looking for, just more or less venting!

8. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

If my brain worked that way, I write a story. I wouldn't stop. I would just keep typing, not knowing what was going to happen, and just let it develop. I bet it would really help you to "let go" that way. If anything, it would be an interesting story to read. In writer's workshops I've taken, they encourage this style.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

:hsd: I would be one bitter fuck. I'm sorry about your problems :hsd:

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Do you really think that banning pint glasses will stop things? Maybe if they replace all the bar stools...

11. Normie

I'm not bitter.. I am kinda pissed off.. Happened while I was out of town, in a very small, tight lipped community; so no-one "saw" who hit me.. :rolleyes:

Of course the local police were completely inept, and botched any investigation. The one cop that tried helping got fired. That pisses me off.. but shit happens.

I doubt it, but you'll notice that more "party" days you see nothing but plastic bottles, cups etc.. I guess it helps.

12. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

pad the floor like a playground

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

You see the plastic cups because they're a lot cheaper than glass, and at parties, glass tends to get broken. Makes for a harder cleanup and heftier bill

14. Normie

that'd be a kickass theme for a bar.. Padded everything! :o

Last I checked plastic beer bottles were the same price as glass ones.. :dunno:

15. 7960

7960 New Member

but they're cheaper for the bar, so in effect they gave themselves more profit by using plastic.

16. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I do believe I said cups