So Why Is Soy Bad For Guys?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by alltracman78, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

I was reading the noob thread and saw it referenced, but the link doesn't work.

I mix my protein with vanilla soymilk [water/protein tastes like arse and milk/protein is too thick IMO].

So now I'm wondering what the problem with it are....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. benny196

benny196 New Member

Something about raising estrogen I think.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

mix it with cows milk then :dunno:

4. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

it raises estrogen

the part that sucks is that nobody can seem to agree on how much 'too much' soy protein is for men. I wasted an hour of my life looking into it's effects and blah blah and couldn't get crap for crap about anybody proposing amounts that were even in the ballpark of each other...

5. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

I've been drinking LOTs of it for 6 months or so.
    Several gallons a week.

No man boobs yet. :big grin:

Fixed my typo.... :p

I guess I'll stick with it for now then.

6. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

picard.jpg

soy balances estrogen levels, it doesn't increase them. think of all the asians who have eaten soy for generations. wouldn't they all have teh boobs?

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: I mix mine with a looooot of milk (nonfat) and it mixes pretty well, but 2 scoops for 8oz of milk makes my stomach unhappy, i mix more like 2 scoops with 16oz.

8. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

actually... on the asian topic.... most pics of older asian doods I see they have pretty saggy man-boobs.... more so than most older cauc-doods I've seen..

But I'm prone to agree with the idea that the amounts that 'researchers' say is to much is more than we are able to eat in a normal day.. but I did read somewhere about babies being affected more so by soy heavy useage of soy produts..something about becoming gay... it sounded prety rediculous so excuse my complete lack of knowledge on the subject

9. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

As soon as I read like 10 articles about it raising estrogen levels, I stoped drinking it. I dont need anything to fuck with my hormone levels... I drink the lactaid milk instead now.

BTW I didnt take soy protien, but I drank soy milk because Im lactose intolerant.

10. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I don't remember the cytosport being that bad. I had the mint chocolate and its one of the better tasting proteins I've ever had.

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

This is a pretty common myth about soy though. Asian nations *don't* eat tons of soy, it's a condiment, not a major food group. Also, what they do eat tends to be fermented, which does different things chemically to soy; your soy protein in protein powder/bars/diet foods over here isn't fermented.

Soy is known to be goitrogenic; i.e., it depresses thyroid levels. If you have low thyroid, you really need to stay away from it; and if you're off hormonally anyways and eating tons of it, that's probably not good either.

12. tombstone91

tombstone91 New Member

To the gentleman above, you are wrong, Asians DO consume soy, sometimes as a primary protein source in home-made soups and other dishes. Soy milk is an Asian regular right now, preferred over cow's milk and drank regularly in China today. I've heard that chocolate soy milk is consumed like soda-pop is in the US. It's NOT a myth and I'm sick of people not doing any research when debating on a subject where total mis-information is created all the time with no good reason for it.

A billion or so Asians consume soy protein and you don't see pictures of chinese men walking around with boobs on their chests. Sorry guys but the attack on soy protein is completely overblown and if it raises estrogen at all then it's a minor amount which is so low that it's not going to have side effects.

13. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Elfing is a chick.

14. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

complaining about the taste of protein shakes raises your estrogen levels. just down it

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Link to said populational study in a peer-reviewed journal ?

16. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I know that soy is sometimes reccommended for women when they are around the menopause to help increase their oestrogen levels. I dont know it's effects in men and it's also more expensive than my whey/casein/egg blend, so I'm not too keen to find out.

17. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

but they're all skinny-fat, and short, with little peckers

18. tombstone91

tombstone91 New Member

Just use google and stop being lazy. I'm right on this. The attacks against soy are purely without merit and totally misleading. It's a healthy addition to any diet and helps provide a rich mixture of different proteins for the body.

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I'm not the one that should be defending your own words.

20. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Some of you need to read.....

I don't take soy protein. I take whey protein.
    I was just curious if there was any side effects of soy in general to guys.

The replies are appreciated though.

21. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i can't think of any bad asses who eat tofu and drink Silk

22. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

Soy is not bad - in small amounts it's a pretty healthy thing to eat. For a male, it does not "increase your estrogen." What happens is that your body reads it as estrogen, so your body reduces its natural estrogen production, or if you eat enough, stops it. This can help you get lean and even achieve that elusive "cut" look.

The problem with a soy-heavy diet is if/when you stop eating Soy. Your body goes into deficiency shock and says "Holy estrogen deficiency, Batman!" And starts pumping it out moreso than you've ever produced it before - not necessarily giving you teh man-boobs, but an increase of general flab/padding/etc and a sort of feminization of facial and body features, not excluding an increase in voice pitch.

23. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Of course, for this to happen, you'd have to be using soy pretty often and in high amounts to have a dramatic increase. A little soy everyday won't kill you. No single food item should be your source of protein - this goes for vegetarians as well.

24. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

Agreed. For most people this isn't even a concern, but there are some people who do eat soy-heavy diets.

25. chizzle

chizzle New Member

:squint:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.