LGBT so why does direct hate rhetoric not affect me?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by marxwa99, Feb 18, 2005.

1. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

so last night, at about 10pm, i was walkin in the gay area of columbus to a coffee shop to wish our friend the best for her engagement that happened thsi weekend while she was in beautiful, but cold, san francisco.

This car drives by and we hear this girl shout out fuckin faggot! Yet, it doesnt even affect us. We are just like....okay....and i shout out, well duh!!!!

This is the first time someone ever called me a fuckin faggot or imposed any negative hate speech on me. But it really didnt bug me. I sorta jokingly said, the bitch got a laugh out of it, so did i. So i thought okay maybe its just me.

My friend Chris was cool about it also. Chris and i are somewhat polar opposites. he is very feminine. I get the whole butch stereotype given to me. Yet both of us were not even that affected by it. We went and had a good laugh and we told our friends who were like OMG.

Perhaps, we can see it as to us being sensitized, but when i hear it happening to other people, it really irks me.

So anyone care to explain how i can be so affected when i hear people pulling that hate shit in general and to other people, but when it happens to me directly, i could care less?

2. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

These things....they happen. You're not taking these things personally, and that's a big lesson that everybody should learn early in life to same themself some energy. Well it's one of three things somebody can do to help themself but that's really the only one that pertains to this :)

3. Tenzin

Tenzin Guest

Sticks and stones, luv.

4. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

The woman I work with is openly homophobic (actually she's all of the bad things; racist, sexist, classist, etc.), and doesn't know I am homosexual. I used to just laugh to myself about the things she believed about homosexuals, but one day I stopped laughing at her, and just felt really sorry for her that her life was so shelter and fragile.

I'm secretly planning to tell her soon and watch the ensuing chaos as her world crumbles:mamoru:

5. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Tell her you are really a woman. :rofl:

6. coma

coma New Member

I was once actually in a car with a couple of my drunken friends (WAY back when...) and one of the geniuses in the car saw 2 guys walking together (not in a gay part of town or anything) and they laughed and shouted out "Hey you fucking faggots!". The "faggots" turned around and gave as the finger. I wonder what my "friends" would have thought had they know they had a genuine homosexual in the car with them?:mamoru:

7. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...I'll need to 24hour notice to prepare the snacks, and set up the cameras in various parts of your office, so that we can watch her face (and world) crumble Tivoed-American-Idol-Style... Can her husband be there too? Oh joy :naughty:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  8. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

you guys crack me up :rofl: "world crumbles...." hahaha :rofl:

I just came here to add that after calling my gay friend "pussy" (I didn't know he was gay back then) it haunted me back...I'd do it so much that even I got tired of hearing myself...it was like don't be such a pussy just do it...or hey you pussy don't ruin it....(replace pussy with fag, faggot, girlie....) you get the idea :hs:

somehow I love the way we talk to each other :rofl: today I call him fag and he calls me pussy whipped :hsugh:

break even

9. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

I seriously would not be surprised if she quits when she finds out; she leads a very sheltered life.

For the most part the gratuitous use of "gay" and "fag" doesn't bother me too much. I do think that "faggot" should be considered the same as "nigger", regardless of context, but this could all just be an argument of semantics.