SRS So who's on the job hunt?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Nev, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

And not having any luck?

Maybe this can be a thread where we get some help with resumes, cover letters, etc etc

Currently have an accounting degree without any experience and it's near impossible to find a decent job. Just went to staples and got some more resume supplies :hs:

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I was until a few weeks ago.

It took me 8 months to find a job. Things are really bad, all you can do is keep applying and hope that eventually you will catch a break. I was lucky, I was in a financial position to hold out for something I really wanted. If you are desperate, you can try getting a few temp jobs, that will give you something related to your field that you can put on your resume.

3. seismic

seismic New Member

Get some people to look over your resume! I'm not an expert but I was complimented on my resume/cover letter writing when I was hired six months ago. I was declined for the job that I applied for, but the CFO who interviewed me went as far as to say "I'm going to create a position for you, because it's obvious, based on your cover letter, that you know how to speak". I had a job within a couple weeks. :)

I'd be happy to review it if you wanted to edit out the personal info and post it.

4. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

I'd appreciate that. I'm currently working on improving my cover letter, and my resume is nothing to write home about. I don't have any experience in my field.

I'm currently working in retail management while I look for a job and it's slowly eating at my soul.

5. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

Did you custom-write each and every cover letter?

6. seismic

seismic New Member

Yes. I took the listing, and worded all my experience to fit what they were looking for. I also tried to do it in my resume if I could.

7. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

I sent you a quick PM

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Not on the hunt right now but my field is pretty much in demand so I feel confident I could find another job quickly if I had to. I got compliments on my resume from everyone I interviewed with, probably b/c I made mine from scratch didnt use a template on the internet. I skipped the cover letter no one reads that shit anyway.

9. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

The cover letter importance depends on where you live. Sometimes it's what get's you the interview. Where I live, you might as well not apply if you don't send a cover letter.

And I like certain templates, not for the information but because the layout is visually appealing. There are a lot of design sites where people that know a lot more about design than me come up with fantastic resume layouts. For free.

10. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

how do you know if you need a cover letter or not? where do you live?

11. oakback

oakback New Member

It never hurts to write a nicely-worded cover letter. It's what separates you from the folks who are mass-mailing their resume'. Additionally, many people suck at writing, and sound like a complete moron when they have to write more than a couple sentences, good writing really stands out. Do research on the company, show your knowledge in the letter, and explain how your experience/skills fit the bill.

I'm not currently looking for a job, but I've helped lots of folks fine-tune (more like work out better wording and such) resumes and cover letters. Have someone look over your cover letter and give you constructive criticism.

Also, I recommend writing one "master" resume' that lists all of your skills/responsibilities for each job. Usually this is way too long, but that's good. Then for each position you apply for, not only do a from-scratch cover letter, customize your resume' by removing the items that don't really apply to the position in any way. Boil it down to what's relevant to the position.

Example:
    Last position held: "Warehouse Manager"
    -supervised loading dock staff
    -operated forklift
    (blah blah blah)

If you're applying for a construction job, both are great. If you're applying for an office clerk job, they most likely don't give 2 shits if you can drive a forklift or not, and it might even negatively effect the way they view you. Remove that portion. Supervisory skills will stand out more.

Hope that makes sense.

12. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

I'm having problems coming up with a good cover letter. I'm applying for jobs that pertain more to my degree than my experience. I can't start spouting off accomplishments in my field, when I really haven't accomplished anything yet. I would like it to stand out a bit rather than be the same exact cookie cutter crap that is out there.

13. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

They usually ask on the ad but I send it anyway. You can go to the local economic development office or college/university and ask at the career centre. Career training offices and headhunters also know. If anything, write a good cover letter once and then all it will take is 5-10 min of modifying to suit the job and send it in anyway. You won't lose the position because you wrote a good cover letter.

Phone the job you are applying for and ask HR. They won't lie to you.

Unless you are applying for a really stuffy job like a lawyer or an auditor, the more colloquial the better. If you have a good business school nearby then use the hell out of the career center there. You care basically creating a marketing copy of yourself. I've applied for many jobs in all fields and I've been an employer and this rings true for all my applications and reviews. A good cover letter just stands out and makes me want to read the resume and since it's usually my first contact with this individual, it leaves a good impression on me when I finally interview them 9And unless they are highly unqualified, I will give them an interview if they write a good cover letter).

And I live in Western Canada. So I can't really help you on the eastern seaboard.

14. JediMasterMatt

JediMasterMatt New Member

I got laid off from my market research job a few months ago and had to go back to a restaurant management job that I had in college. It is definitely eating my soul.

I have had a few interviews, but I keep getting beat out by other candidates with more experience (Cincinnati's job market sucks).

I did find out that my old company is hiring for a position similar to what I had but in a different branch of the company and I am going to call my old bosses and ask them to put in a good word for me, hopefully that will do something.....because like you...this restaurant mgt. stuff is really killing me.

15. TopDawg

TopDawg New Member

I used to be a high school teacher for a while, until I got laid off this year. Since then I have been on the hunt for some tutoring positions. So far, I had one interview and the lady hasn't called me back yet...

It's pretty grim, with this economy looming over. It sucks that I have been unemployed for about 2 months now... At first I took it easy and just enjoy my free time, but now it's starting to affect my self esteem. Fuck I need to apply to more jobs. Anyone knows what are some good places to look for tutoring jobs besides craigslist?

16. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Always make your previous jobs seem more important than what they actually were. I worked in a factory, just a basic manual labor factory where we anodized aluminum parts. Anyone who doesnt know what anodizing is its chemically altering and dying metal parts. On my resume its listed as an aluminum chemist job. I worked with both chemicals and aluminum, so why not. Same job, different time period, I built racking units to hold the aluminum parts, listed it as like a engeneer or some shit like that.

Always talk up your previous jobs in your resume, especially if you had any sort of leadership involvement during work.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  17. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You could be right :dunno: maybe it depends on your field of work too I'm in engineering never wrote a cover letter and 99% of employers didnt care they probably don't have time to read one in this fast paced industry.

18. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I have a job but I desperately want out.

I would be happy to post my resume for those to use. I wrote most of it and then had a resume expert fine tune it. Someone got a host I can post links to so you can download.

19. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos