GUN So who makes a good gun safe in the $300-400 range?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, Sep 29, 2008.

1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

no one.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Good as in what?

4. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Good enough to be bolted to a concrete floor in a garage and not have to worry about it/the guns getting stolen

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

No one. Not for that kind of safety.

You can get something decent enough to keep the average person from simply walking off with the stuff, but if someone wants into a $300 safe, its not to hard to get into it.

I have a Stack On from Dicks Sporting goods that was in that range, but I have no illusions of how good it is. It looks impressive and for me in an apartment, it will keep the average person from walking off (I couldnt go anything more due to weight since I'm on the third floor), but it wouldnt keep someone from prying in with some good tools.

If you want that kind of protection, figure on a $1500 safe or more. If you want someone from just walking off with them, but certainly not good enough to "not worry about them," go for a $300 safe.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

300 dollars will not buy you anything that will protect your guns very much. I will protect against children and nosy people, it will even protect against a smash and dash burglar (who doesn't want to wast the time), but anyone with a pry bar will take only a few moments to get it open.

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I think Walmart is selling a sentry 14 gun digital combo gun safe for $379 or so
    I have a question. What do you do if the fucker runs out of batteries? You have to get it cut open?

Fucking only one my walmart sells now. How the fuck can they just finish building an even bigger walmart yet they have less shit? They got rid of guns, all but one of the gun cabinets, ammunition, gun cases, all sorts of other shit

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

On black friday lowe's usually has a 14 gun sentry for like $300-350. Your price range is just getting a safe styled contraption but won't buy you anything that is really "safe"

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

10. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

buy used if you have to. That's what I did. Mines not top of the line, but I feel it's adequate for my needs right now.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

so, you want to put it in your GARAGE and you only want to spend $400

at the least if you are going to skimp out, put it in your basement where it can't just be hauled out the garage :rofl:

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

13. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

A $400 safe in the garage only conveniences the theif, he just has to pick up the safe and throw it in his truck that's conveniently backed into the garage.

I have one of those cheap $400 Sentry safes, but it is not in a "conventional location", and is strictly a second safe mostly for records and a few longarms. The strength of it's effectiveness is that it is not in an easy to get to location, and is anchored to concrete.

My primary safe is in a more obvious spot, but also anchored down to concrete. My brother in law is a contractor and did the work for me.

About 11 years ago, I owned one of those cheap $300 stack on safes you get from Walmart. It was broken into by hand tools I had laying around and my guns were stolen in a window of maybe an hour and a half. I wish I had taken pictures of the safe, but it was literally pryed open like a sardine can. That is why I don't take pictures of, nor talk very much about my gun safes.

15. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

A $400 safe anchored to the concrete would be a pretty difficult thing to move I would think.

http://www.confast.com/products/thunderstud-anchor.aspx

[​IMG]

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I'd venture to guess you could tilt that safe, wobble it, and the steal around the bolts woulD give way long before the bolts Move

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

Difficult to move, but not difficult to pry open. My old safe was in a linen closet at my old apartment so I wasn't able to anchor it to a wall. It looks like they tried to walk off with it as it was on it's back in my hallway. But they found some of my tools and pryed it open and just took my stuff.

18. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I have had my safe for a little over 2 years. i replaced the battery a few months ago. Probably gonna just replace it once a year to be safe. Maybe do it on xmas or my birthday, etc. I would hate to have the battery die and all my stuff trapped inside. :noes:

honestly if I would have had a choice I would have rather got a regular dial type safe but the electronic one was a very good price.

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

20. GTP

GTP New Member

If someone really wants to, they will get in.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

wow, now that I look back, that is how I discovered my safe, on it's back in the middle of the hall, and that's exactly how it looks like it was done.

:nono:

22. cent

cent New Member

because every house has a basement, amirite?

23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Don't have a basement, nor do I have room for it in my house where the fuck else should I put it?

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Keep in mind AB's posts as I think he covers pretty much all the basics. The door on your cheap security container is going to probably be the strongest part, the rest will probably be thinner metal. Put it in a closet or something to not only hide the safe entirely but make it harder to get to the sides. As an alternative consider a corner with the hinges facing the room so that its harder to get a pry bar in the unhinged side (although I doubt it matters much). Be sure its bolted down well. Keep your tools locked up and put away from it because they'll probably open it with whatever you have laying around.

25. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

You get what you pay for.