So who is waiting for a revision to MBP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swak, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I've been reading every article and waiting for every conference. Sounds like a freaking harsh waiting game for these revisions with a possible C2D upgrade. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

2. slfmade

slfmade New Member

already upped to mbp. stopped waiting years ago, 6 months after you buy it it will be upgraded, you cant expect to have the latest technology always

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you think the heat is gonna bother you, then wait. But honestly, since I stopped running SQL queries all night, I haven't noticed the heat ;) Cruising at 54C right now.

4. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

comparing the C2D to the regular Core Duo desktop procs, there is noticeable improvement in most of the benchmarks. the 2.33ghz does well to close the performance gap between the iMacs and the Mac Pros.

it'll be interesting to see what kind of speed improvements the Merom cores will have over the current procs. it seems that the most noticeable change will come with better power efficiency.

5. Swak

I know that usually anytime you buy computer stuff a few weeks later, but the rumors of a revision have been pretty heavy and I would like to jump on the revision once it happens, even if 2 weeks later they announce a Core 3 Duo. It will be my first Mac Laptop so might as well wait, its just fucking hard because they seem to want to dick around till right before the holiday season if the rumors are true.

6. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

The only reason I wish I had a core 2 duo mbp is because c2d's are supposed to be 64-bit, but weither or not that will be an issue in the next few years is debatable. Also, 4-core processors are supposed to come out soon anyways, and then you'll wish you had one of those, if you really need a computer you can't wait, you just have to get whatever's out right now.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The Macbook Pro is faster than you'll need RIGHT NOW. If you need a computer, then buy it. C2D won't make a noticeable fuck all of a difference.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

im waiting, i'd love for the next revision to be 64 bit and a bit cooler, then i'd get one.

I have a 1.67 PB which is fine for now. If I didnt have a laptop I'd jump.

9. LooneyTuned

LooneyTuned Oil? Bitch you cookin OT Supporter

anyone think they will make revisions to the MBP outside of the processor? like aesthetics, or features?

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No.

11. Swak

Well I am also hoping to see that they do improvments to the heat issue, this is the first laptop that I am buying for portability and to actually use as a laptop instead of a power machine. But I don't want my lap getting all toasty.

12. violator

violator New Member

i is waiting

13. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Me....im waiting to try out an Apple, but im waiting too.
    Ive been just checking out forums for a while reading about them. What im waiting for is the C2D with its x64 bit support and possibly it being a cooler running processor. Then again im hearing that the next version of OSX has been running the systems cooler on the testers macs.

14. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

Might buy a new laptop after Leopard comes out... :dunno:

15. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

meroms with a faster FSB on a whole new platform will be out in April, will you wait till than?

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Another guess. The guesses are always wrong. It could well be longer. Of course, if you make enough guesses then eventually you'll get it right :)

Bottom line: Waiting to buy a computer that you need now is idiotic.

17. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

You are incorrect, there is a huge difference in speed between the iMacs with Core2Duo and the Mac Pros with Xeon processors. MHz is just part of the story. The Mac Pros have two Dual Core Xeons, so that's already quad processors, which makes quite a difference in highly multi-threaded OSes like OSX.

The Core2Duo is about 10-20% faster in synthetic benchmarks. I doubt you will see much difference between the two in most tasks.

The Core2Duo has the same thermals as CoreDuo, so battery life is the same.

18. CarRamRod

Core2Duos have the same thermals has the current CoreDuo chips, so unless they change their heatsink design in the laptop, the heat will stay the same.

That being said, after I got mine fixed from Apple, the heat is not that bad at all, IMO.

So, to summarize, the biggest differences between the CoreDuo and the Core2Duo is 1) Core2Duo is 64bit, 2) Core2Duo has up to a 4meg L2 cache (most of the speed improvement).

Santa Rosa (next chipset, current one is Napa) will introduce faster bus speeds which will make a difference, but you won't see products shipping with that till late Q1'07

19. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

What did they do to fix it? More thermal compound? I was at the apple store yesterday, deciding whether to buy a macbook pro or not, and the bottom was really hot. Not so much that you can't touch it, but it was getting there. I was only using the iSight cam too and launching apps like Word & Mail.

I'm thinking I should wait for the revision, just to see if the heat issues are resolved.

20. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

I'm in the same boat. I don't think buying v1 of something like this is particularly a good decision, so I'd rather wait and let them fix their design first.

It will also be my first Apple. I've tried to get an older PowerBook but eBay scams abound!

21. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I too am in the same boat. Someone in my area was selling a 15" Powerbook, last revision before macbook pro, for $900. I missed out. I've looked around ebay & craigslist, but I'm not comfortable buying online. Anyone know of any reputable apple outlets?

22. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

I was quoting this site regarding the C2D vs. Xeon performance. They talk about narrowing the performance gap ... but I certainly wasn't implying that they are equal ... but the C2Ds are definately a good value for the performance.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/firstlooks/imacbench/index.php

For some reason I thought I read that the thermal specs were improved over the old ones ... guess I was wrong.

23. CarRamRod

They changed the fan behavior for one. I don't know what else they changed for the lower thermals, but they did get rid of the whine on mine too (I think I know what it was).

24. CarRamRod

Yes, Core2Duo are great bang for the buck!

25. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I just read in the newspaper that the first intel quad-core chip should be out in November. I wonder how long it will be untill they find their way into mac laptops. The article said they're about 70% faster than the current core duo chip.