So...Who has read The Wheel Of Time?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Killbane, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Killbane

Killbane Ahhh Indianna...

I want to commend you on your fortitude and ambition. This task is one of the hardest things I had to do. I did it with audio books. It took me a year of driving to and from work or whenever I was in my car to do it. I feel like I have been drawn and quartered and I need to seek professional help. Anyone else feel this way when they finished?:o

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yep. I've read up until Winter's Heart. After that, I couldn't give a shit. Actually, even a few books before that I couldn't give a shit.

It started out good... the first 3 books were awesome. Robert Jordan really stretched it out way too long though. I just want to know what happens in the end :o But Jordan is now dead unfortunately, and the guy taking his place to finish the series is splitting the final book up into 3, and the last won't be released until 2011 :rofl:

3. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

my thoughts EXACTLY. 1st 3 books were a great adventure, then it started getting away from the 3 main guys. stopped reading around Winter's Heart.

4. Killbane

Well gents all I know is that I want to kill every chick in the book. ALL OF THEM. Except for Bergetta. The rest can DIAF.

5. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

The end of Winter's Heart was like the best part of the whole series :eek3:. The book after, Crossroads of Twilight was utter garbage though. It was the only book that I didn't enjoy. It had no climax at all :rolleyes:. But Knife of Dreams was back to being enjoyable.

It makes sense to split the books up IMO, as according to wiki it would have been a million fucking word book :eek4:

6. Killbane

Trust me the audio books was so laborious task that you knew when it was going to be a LONG winded dissertation about someone's reaction to the clothing that was being worn..WTF? He wrote Conan a hella of alot better.

7. lowfat

I have listened to all the audiobooks. Went through all 12 of them in a 3-4 months. Really the only stuff I found boring was the Elayne and Andor crap. Well up until the latest book, shit finally got rolling then.

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:rofl: Are you serious?

I'm glad I never bothered reading that crap.

9. Killbane

I must agree, the last book I think he realized that he was droning on and threw so battle stuff in to keep us happy.

10. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

I have read them all 4 times now. Losing RJ was a great blow but hopefully the series will be put to rest in halfway decent fashion. i really didn't think RJ could do it... wrapping shit up was never his strong point and he tended to add way too many new characters where they didn't need to be. L. Ron Hubbard was a better writer in many aspects lol.

11. lowfat

one month till 'The Gathering Storm' :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

12. cbs_24

cbs_24 OT Supporter

i'm considering getting into this when i'm done with everything i'm reading now.

13. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

its a great storyline, but yeah, it takes a bit of committment. :hs:

gonna start reading the song of ice & fire series once i've finished re-reading LOTR. then i'll re-read the wheel of time books & will likely be finished by the time the 2nd 'final' book is released. :noes:

14. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

ice and fire makes lord of the rings look like crap

lord of the rings was quite terrible, honestly (and this is coming from a dude who loves the Silmarillion more than any other book).

Fucking hobbits.

15. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I agree. I really think the LOTR trilogy is overrated (and I hate using that word but I feel it applies here). That being said, I loved 'The Hobbit'.

16. lowfat

:werd:

'The Hobbit' is rather entertaining. LOTR is just so drawn out.

17. Joe_Cool

LOTR is a bit of a task to read, but I wouldn't call it overrated. It's still a masterpiece, and the source that pretty much all modern fantasy tries to copy.

18. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yeah, I guess overrated is a little unwarranted when you consider it's influence on the fantasy genre. I've just tried to read the trilogy a bunch of times but like lowfat said, it really is too drawn out.

19. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

just curious as to what you think was 'terrible' about LOTR?

20. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

It insists upon itself.

21. Joe_Cool

:bowrofl: That really caught me off guard and I loled for real.

[y]ioUIF-hSXD8[/y]

22. Variant

Variant Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.

Tried to read the first book (Eye of the World?) twice, couldn't get through it either time, gave up on the series. If that's supposed to be one of the "good" books in the series, I have no interest. So slow and boring.

23. lowfat

I don't know where you heard that. First half of the book is damn near character building.

24. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Crossroads of Twilight is the only book in WoT that I flat out didn't like. Mainly because it only has like... Two Rand chapters in it.

Knife of Dreams is a great book, and really showed that RJ was getting back on track after the poor quality of the last few books. Still wasn't perfect though.

KoD has a really potent moment (In my opinion, at least) when Nynaeve starts calling upon people to ride with the Golden Crane to Tarwin's Gap, but does nothing with it past that one scene. What would have been quite significant would have been to include small paragraphs interspersed throughout the book of more and more Malkieri rallying to the banner, or other borderlanders wanting to join the cause.

The entire goddamn series, whenever we hear about Lan's past, or the borderlands, or Malkier, we hear about how if Lan were to ever raise the Crane, people would come flocking to it in swarms, to try and reclaim it from the blight. Yet there he is raising it, and the only word you get through the entire book is about some merchants going to him.

But the prologue and first two chapters from The Gathering Storm are amazing. Sanderson is a great author, and RJ had certainly gotten back to his better form. I'm really excited for it.

25. lowfat

:werd: Shit was mad boring, so much fuck Elayne crap, that never progressed.