So what's the rage in LCD tv's nowadays?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by swoop, Feb 29, 2008.

1. swoop

swoop Guest

i'm in the market for one and don't know where to start :hs:

2. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Budget?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

budget and size?

Costco has a 37" Vizio for $749, or a 42" Vizio for $949. And despite what some elitists will tell you, the Vizios are GREAT tv's. Unless you want to drop more than $3000 on a set, then Vizio is great.

4. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

I've been looking into a Vizio or an Olevia for now til we decide to really upgrade the living room in a year or two

5. riddic1985

riddic1985 New Member

olevia was garbage foor me. im glad usps lost the damn thing on the way over from iraq. the processor (sp) was slow as hell. im getting a plasma from sams club its a 50" phillips and its only 1000 plus sams club sells a 5 year warranty for cheap and it actually covers burn ins. just my .02 cents

6. digitaljames

digitaljames OT Supporter

I am not an elitist and I will tell you Vizios are SHIT tv's. And I am speaking from experience, I owned one. You can spend just a little bit more and get a lot nicer tv.

7. bbo

bbo New Member

I got a sharp LC46D64U for < 1500 before xmas ... ( it was the one CC had for black friday) ... instead of freezing my ass off overnight shelling out 1299 + tax (1370ish total here) ... I just started looking online and got it for about 1450$ delivered.
    Great picture and no problems yet ...

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I just bought one and love it. I looked high and low and the vizio compared well against TVs over twice it's price...

9. digitaljames

digitaljames OT Supporter

It may be good if all you do it play video games and watch hd dvd or blu ray on it. The SD channels on it blew ass and the HD channels sucked. I took it back and got a westinghouse which had a little better picture than the vizio but still sucked. I then bought a Sharp aquos and that was far better than both the vizio and the westinghouse and can be had for only a little bit more. Just because one tv looks better than another in the store doesnt mean it will be the same when you get it home.

10. riddic1985

riddic1985 New Member

the reason they look better at the store than at your home is usually because stores put LCDs on display because they look better in a bright room. whereas in a dark room they look like crap. plasmas look like shit at the store because the screen is basically a glass and it reflects everything in a bright store. so the main question to ask yourself when buying between a plasma and LCD is what will you be watching it more in? light or dark room? also plasmas are the bomb in the winter because you dont have to run your heater as much lol.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I use mine mostly in the light -- at least with a room light on.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well there you go.... I do HD 99% of the time. Although I must say that DirecTV HD looks damn good on this thing. SD content does suck -- but I find that to be true on any HDTV.