SRS so whats my next move

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Ripper, Dec 31, 2007.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

So around the octoberish there were no jobs and it seemed like I had just run out of luck. I finaly got hooked up by some one and got a ok job which got me through the year and helped me pay off the majority of my credit card debt. Now the new year is coming and I dont want to be stuck in the same dead end job for another year or bounching from job to job for another year. My freinds always told me that the first year after you graduate college is ruff but I didnt think it was going to be this ruff.

Right now im waiting to see what happens with this police dept I applied for. Everything looks good so far but a couple of my freinds have failed the psych evaluation so now Im kind of worried about that and all of the other hurtles I have to face in the application process. I wanted to be a cop for awhile but after all of the BS and cop shootings that have been going on down here I kind of lost my taste for it. So right now Im at a cross roads and im not sure what I want to do. I have my B.S. in criminal justice and I want to get a career started and want to stop messing around with dead end jobs.

So bassically I was debating going back to college and getting my masters degree in another field. I like going to school and I like learning and I guess thats one of the things that is stressing me because im lacking intellectual stimulation. So bassically im not sure what to do if I dont end up being a cop. Looking for a little help or more ideas. This is what I got so far.

current job in loss prevention pays 13 an hour....

1. I could take this job my former boss offered me with at&t for 17 an hour and do that till I could pay off my bills and go for my masters in psychology in the mean time. I can get a pretty decent schedule from them and the pay is alright or at least enough to pay my bills off quicker.

2. I could try to get a supervisor position at this college and it would pay me what im making now doing security but I would be able to go to school for free.

3. I try to find some crap in criminal justice I can do and like or some random job that just needs some one who has a degree.

4. become a paralegal

What im wondering is what could I do with a psych masters? Ive been thinking about it and I might want to persue some type of counseling job or try and be a psychiatrist. Not sure what I want to do and pretty confused right now. All I know for sure is I dont want to keep working where I am now.

2. Asherman

Asherman New Member

1. As you have discovered, a BA in Criminal Justice doesn't open many doors outside law enforcement. Even in getting an entry level job in law enforcement your BA is way down on the list of qualifications being sought. If , for any reason you decide not to remain in law enforcement your degree counts no more than if it were in Basket Weaving. Well, thats water under the bridge now.

2. You are still young and there is still time to earn a degree that has wider application. I would strongly recommend you pursue a Master's level degree. An MSW might be a good marriage with your BA, and would open doors to various social work careers and counseling. A Master's in Psychology might lead to similar opportunities. An alternative, if your LSAT scores are high enough and you can hack the work, would be law school. With a BA in Criminal Justice and a law degree you would be a natural for a number of excellent careers.

3. I believe that your Option #3 is probably the least attractive. If you decided to pursue a law degree, then Option #4 may be the way to go. Choosing between Options #1 and #2, is more difficult for an outsider to judge. Free tuition is a big thing and not something to be dismissed lightly. If your debts are a major burden, then getting them paid off at a slightly higher salary with a flexible work schedule may be more appealing. Personally, I'd go to work for the University while pursuing a MSW.

3. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Like mentioned, pursue a MSW, or even a Master's in something like Counselor Education. The job field for more specialized psych related careers is much more open and friendly than just having a general Master's in psych. I have a friend pursuing her MS in Counselor Education, and she also has a job as some sort of counselor/aide in a nearby HS. She's not only getting paid pretty decently whole pursuing her education, but she's always receiving credits and experience doing this.

Continuing education in psych has to be something you are passionate about, and you should genuinely enjoy being around/helping people. Don't just do it to do it, or else you'll have a long life of miserable jobs. I've also heard that Industrial Psych jobs are really starting to pick up as many corporations are starting to adopt preventative services to their employees, such as psych evals, hearing screenings, OT/PT screenings, as well as providing a counselor to their employees at no cost that they can essentially speak to on their own time and free will.

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

i would have to take some pre requisite classes im assuming before going for my masters so im gonna check that out tomorrow with a freind then I have to do some testing but the psych field does look more promosing and originally I was debating between psych and cj I got the Cj thing out of my system and I learned what I wanted to learn. I think Ill end up taking the pre reqs and see if I like it I have nothing to lose with that