GUN So what would you do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 26, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok sitting here waiting for Jericho to start, tonites episode is suppose to be about an EMP attack. Got me thinking what would you do if a EMP suddenly hit your area tonite? All your electronics are fried so you dont know whats going on, what do you do?

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

At first I think it'd be glad that the loud music next door had stopped. And I wouldn't be in the dark since my girlfriend loves having candles burning. It'd probably take a few minutes to realize that it wasn't just a complete black out, (cell phone not working, watches, etc). I think after that I'd get my AK loaded up, put on some pants with my glock in it's holster. Then I'd hope no one tried to come in my apartment. I'd wait till morning before attempting to group up with some friends in the complex.

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

If it was just a local EMP I dont think it would get that bad here and I would probably just gather the family and hold up until things are back to normal. If it was something that took out the whole west coast or more then things would be different.
    In that case the best course of action would probably be to get everyone together at a family friends house who is both well armed and supplied and centrally located. More than half of us know how to ride motorcycles and said friend has an old bonneville that probably wouldnt be affected by it that we could use to travel to find more transportation. Once thats all set it would make sense to make our way to the local airport thats set to handle emergencies, which we have access to. From there we have quite a few options since the airport has large stores of just about everything. We could set up in the old fire station or the bunker in between the runways, try and find a plane that works since two of us have some flight experience, or if worse comes to worse ride another ten minutes to the local harbor and steal a boat.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

just start shooting :dunno:

5. Accord

Accord New Member

An EMP attack? They stole that right out of 24.

6. Aequitas

I remember a few months ago I was flipping through the channels when I came across what I thought was a news show. They were doing a story about the possible effects of an EMP attack on the country by various means, detonating a nuke in the atmosphere, etc. All of the effects and consequences seemed pretty intense. It was all interesting until I realized I was watching the 700 Club.

7. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

I'm in two minds about this.

One of the survival websites says you ideally need a car that is carburettor fed, hydraulic automatics and no electronics.

Another says that ECUs will survive (I doubt that).

All your radios will be dead.

Your guns are fine of course but no form of electronics puts a dampener on things.

8. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I'd just sit tight for a few days and do everything that I can to find out what's going on.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sleep in and don't worry about going to work tomorrow.

10. Furner

Furner New Member

there is some interesting reading from the ARRL about how to protect your equipment from EMP. You can pretty much keep a ham radio safe by removing all wires, including the antenna. Got an old car, and an antenna, bam, you are back in business. Lemme find the links for that article in four parts. Its pretty technical as to how an EMP burst works.
    But I would steer away from an electronic gun safe if you are worried about an EMP. I dont know how the backup on those things works, but I imagine it would suck to be locked out of your guns!

ARRL.org EMP article
    Part 1 http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/88615.pdf
    Part 2 http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/98622.pdf
    Part 3 http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/108638.pdf
    Part 4 http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/118630.pdf

EDIT: ARFCOM (went down an hour or so ago for maint) has a good survival section where we take this stuff seriously. If you go and browse through the threads there (ints in the general forum listing, near the bottom) you will find some good stuff, as well as some good stories by members. There is a recent thread discussing EMP and amateur radios.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

my blazer would still be runnin :x:

12. Furner

Furner New Member

mine wouldnt :(

13. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Just hang tight and make sure nothing goes south around here. Although I may head to my sisters up the road and make sure her boys were ok. If all electronics went out, I'd be off to the junk yard for a Points type distributer and my race car would be back in business.

14. puppeteer107

puppeteer107 Be mine, sister salvation

Wish I had ammo around the house :wtc: I'm a horrible gun owner.

15. Aequitas

Everybody starts somewhere.

16. Furner

Furner New Member

17. Furner

Furner New Member

You could probably buy some old microwaves and keep some backup electronics in it for use after the burst. although public broadcast services will be down, amatuer, FRS, and GMRS will be the ONLY way to communicate, eventually independent clubs will get their repeaters back up and going, but to talk across town, as well as to hear the broadcasts (or lack thereof) of law enforcement and some .mil comms

18. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Well, you could expect a few people to loot since alarms and phones wont work. So Id het my guns and ammuntion ready.
    Get out the coleman stoves and lanterns.
    Just wait it out until we could get up and running again, however long that may be

19. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

The XD and the 1911 would get loaded up, and I'd walk outside and fire up the Samurai. If gas pumps don't work, I'd probably end up siphoning out of my Tundra :wtc:

20. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Would your bike run though? :hsugh:

21. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I don't own a bike :ugh2:

22. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

What would I do? I'd wonder what in the blue fuck some terrorists were thinking detonating an EMP in our hick town :mamoru:

Other than that, I'd probably break out my BBQ grill and cook the ribs that are in my freezer before they totally thaw out and spoil, then I'd eat any other perishable items before they spoiled. So I'd be pretty useless for a day or two from eating all that food, then i'd probably have the shits for a day after that. Other than that, I'd just keep a gun with me at all times and hope for the best.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Car starters and solenoids would be effected unless they were unhooked from the battery and stored in shielded areas.
    old kick start motorcycles might survive.

It depends, if an EMP goes off, it would probably be a good idea to start thinking of getting out of populated areas. You would have idiots running wild without police and mass panic by people who aren't prepared. I would rather just head into the hills to camp out for a bit to see if things settle down or not.

24. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I live next door to a police station, so I'd go load up :o

25. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I just built a new computer, so I'd be pissed