SO what was in the Book but not in the LOTR movies...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Icecleric, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Icecleric

Icecleric OT Comix Crew

that you think was needed?

The reason I ask is everytime so far I have found something in the Platnium Edition DVD set that i wish was in the movie the first time i saw it.

So I wanted to know what do you feel was left out and should not have been and why?

2. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

Here is a nice list of the differences between the book and the movies:

LOTR: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/movie.html
    TTT: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/twotowers.html

I didn't really mind that they left out some of the stuff, the movies cut out a lot of the less important aspects. I dont really have an opinion as to what should have been added and what not. The one thing I would have rather had instead of a battle scene that lasted 1/3 of the movie (in TTT) would be the inclusion of the Shelob battle, instead of leaving it to the 3rd movie.

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Leave me alone.

I couldn't disagree more. To have Shelob inter-cut with Helm's Deep would have been too much, and to have that whole scene afterward would have been cinematic suicide.

Besides, chronologically, Shelob happens well after HD anyway, and close to the time of the Minas Tirith battle, which is where we're headed with the third movie. The way it's done makes sense in the chronology in addition to making for more balanced films. It'll be a killer way to start the third one.

4. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

:werd: Just because the movies don't match the order of the books doesn't mean it's wrong. Granted, I haven't finished reading TTT, let alone begun reading ROTK, but I had heard mention of the fact that somewhere after Frodo & Sam go through Shelob's lair, they can see off in the distance the Battle at Pelennor Fields. I dunno if that's true, but chronologically it would make more sense to show them happening at the same time in the film.

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I kind of wish they had the return of the hobits home in RTK. I have heard it is not included and was never filmed.

6. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

Yeah, supposedly the Scouring of the Shire was left out, and wasn't even filmed. I would have at least liked them to include it in the extended edition.

7. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

:werd: :(

8. UCFGavin

UCFGavin Active Member

:werd: i loved that ending. It showed the effects of their adventures and what kind of leaders/warriors the hobbits became.