GUN So What Types Of Situations Can You Use Your Gun In?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by az, Sep 22, 2002.

1. az

az Guest

I was thinking about getting a handgun (and a permit to carry) sometime soon. I plan to take a few courses and everything before I do so, but I still wanted to know some examples of when it is ok to shoot somebody.

Somebody breaking in your house?

Somebody pulls a knife on you?

Somebody pulls a gun on you (obviously you can right)?

Just any instances you can think of where I would be able to you force (gun), without risking jailtime or being sued :/

2. Argyle

Argyle Guest

basically, when someone breaks into your house, you can only shot them when you are in immediate danger. you say "So, basicially, when they are in your house right?" no. they gotta be attacking you in order to shoot them.

lets say you hear someone downstairs. you sneak down there all 007 and shit right? you catch him with his back turned to you and you decide to pop one in his back. the robber, if he is still alive, can sue you! he can claim he was fleeing when you shot him. you will be charged and convicted (its happen many times before) of attempted murder. you cannot shot a burglar when he is fleeing because you are not in immediate danger. if, however, you go downstairs, he hears you, turns around and goes for his gun, then you can shoot him.

3. novass

novass Guest

You can only use deadly force to protect your self if you are in fear of your life.

You cant shot someone for stealing your car, calling you names throwing rocks in your pool or breaking into your house.

You can not shot some one to "kill them".

You are only shooting to "stop" them to prevent harm to your self or others.

If you say " I was only shooting him in the knee to stop him" and you kill him you have admitted fault. You shoot center of mass to stop, that is all.

Never use reloads, only factory ammo. Never use a modified gun for home protection.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It varies from state to state as to what constitutes "immediate danger". Here, it is legal to assume someone who has broken in your home while you are there (whether they argue they "knew" or not) intends to use lethal force on you and you are within your rights to respond in kind.

Outside your home, it must be an immediate threat to life or limb to yourself or others that you can reasonably say you were acting to defend.

So here anyway, all three of your examples would justify lethal force. But particularly on the issue of home invasions, states differ, so be sure to read up on that for your area first.

Agree, it's always best to use factory loads. If you choose the same bullets your local/state police use, you can justify your selection of ammo by saying they use it too. Your gun shouldn't be tricked out to "look wicked." A laser sight will only increase your liability if you miss, which you may very well still do. "If you have this can't miss laser on your gun, how did you manage to miss your target and hit so and so...etc etc".

5. kellyclan

It sounds like you misunderstood novass' advice.

You do NOT "shoot to wound". You do NOT "shoot to kill". You shoot to stop a threat in the most effective way possible. And if he dies, that's a by-product of being efficiently stopped.

This means you are aiming for "central mass", defined roughly as the upper torso. This section of the body not only has the largest probability of inflicting enough damage to stop them quickly, more importantly, it is the largest and least moving part of the body you can target. So you increase your chances of a hit (which stops him) and reduce chances of a miss (which hits little Susie down the street on the swingset).

Grave bodily injury is *usually* justification for lethal force, yes. A gun will always be a deadly threat. A shovel would normally be enough of a threat. Crowbar, tire iron, chainsaw, knife, etc.

If he does not have a weapon, it starts to get murky. Most will argue that it would be a better defense to flee in this situation than resist. Were you cornered by a guy four times your size? Was he actively choking you to death? Was it five guys coming after you by yourself? You have to be able to clearly articulate what danger you saw to your "life or limb".

6. kellyclan

If they backed you into a corner and started pounding the snot out of you, yes.

But again, i can't stress this enough. *What i know and tell you only applies to my state and my state alone.* Laws and liability, sadly and sometimes greatly, differ from state to state. You have to find out when you can use the gun in the area YOU are carrying it. Safety courses offered by ranges would be a good source to find out some of this info. They should be able to direct you if they don't offer the course straight out.

Your ego has to be very small and hard to bruise if you carry a gun. Yes, if you can safely flee a situation instead of using lethal force, that is always preferable. The law says safely here, cos it doesn't mean you have to abandon your wife to a rapist or risk getting shot in the back. Just that you should avoid a situation if you can and not let your ego take over and try to teach the guy some manners. ;)

Carrying doesn't mean you don't have to put up with people's shit anymore. It means you have to put up with MORE.

7. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

The most important part about carrying a concealed weapon is knowing that at all costs you must not use it: only when it is a last resort should you use it. If you can escape on foot, do so. If you can get the police there before you have to use it, do so.

Now, someone mentioned a laser sight: the only reason I have one is for the deterrant. Most criminals realize that if they see a little red light coming out of your gun, they know you mean business and aren't just aiming a toy at them. By the way, if you use one, don't aim it at their eye, if they make it out of the situation into police custody they WILL sue for you trying to blind them :rolleyes: I'm considering modifying my shotgun to have a light setup so that I can blind and intimidate intruders so that they back down peacefully. The last thing I want to do is place a 6" hole into someones chest and ruin my carpet, much less the ringing in my ears from unmuffled gunshots (trust me, it's a pain in the ass :o )

I would much rather use my concealed weapon or shotgun to peacefully end a crime and get the person arrested rather than face the paperwork, potential lawsuits, and possible jailtime that accompanies lethal force, however if I have to they'll see why I can aced my accuracy portion of the concealed course :)

8. kellyclan

Definitely, nothing drives the point that you're about to get shot home like looking down to see that red dot and thinking "Oh, okay, the hole will be right THERE."

9. nordaim

nordaim Guest

One thing that I think about when I think of lethal force comes from all of the martial arts training I have had over the years (about 1/3 of my natural life at this point).

All of the classes that I ever took at all levels always taught that when it comes to personal defense it is better to attempt to diffuse the situation or run than it is to step up to actually having to use any kind of force against an assailant.

Which is one of the best things, IMO, about any type of firearm for defense, in most cases (statistically) a situation will diffuse just by the presence and display of the gun. A shot does not need to be fired.