MIL So what should I wear and how should I act

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pmoney, Feb 14, 2009.

1. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

going to ft sam houston for physical next week with my recruiter (E7)

physical first, then touring dental clinics

lets not laugh about my retarded questions, this is my first experience in/on post.

I'm planning on just wearing khakis and polo shirt, are shorts ok? :hsugh: its gonan be hot and its been cold here so i'm gonna be sweating bullets.

anything specific to address people? I just address all the docs/dental folks as doctor, and i guess all NCOs are 'sarn'ts' ? Thats what my recruiter calls himself so I call him that too.

2. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

sounds good to me, khakis and a polo. Please please please actually pronounce Sergeant..... the army has enough ass hats that say "Sarn't". Just act professional. I dont remember your deal, you enlisting or ROTC or what?

3. burn__

burn__ New Member

they know you're a civilian and dont expect you to know customs and courtesies. you could call everyone 'sir' and be fine.

4. xcheeseyfriesx

xcheeseyfriesx New Member

since when is it wrong to call a sergeant sarn't...all the other sergeants do... :] ps if you know rank...only call officers sir or you will probably get a remark of some sort.. good luck.

5. RecklessYouth

Nothing wrong with it, just a personal pet peeve of mine. I think it makes the individual sound uneducated. I dont actually go around correcting Soldiers or anything for saying it.

6. Julius

Julius Guest

sup fuck that sarnt works well enough

7. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

ok i dont feel like respondng to each post individually

I will call all civies at the post and all officers sir

my e7 calls himself sarnt so is that legit for all ncos? (e5 and up right)

8. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

direct officer commission - yes i know its fucking fail because i have yet to serve one day as an actual army officer but i will be 2lt usar for > 1 year before i go to obc (for medical ofciers - yes its a joke - and yes i know even though i'm an officer i know nothing abotut anything military).

9. RecklessYouth

Nah, not gonna bust your balls too bad. Just dont be like one of my LT buddies direct commission Wife (Dental). At a field problem she decided that having a promask strapped to her side was an inconvenience, so she took the promask out and filled the pouch with snacks. A little later a TAC through a CS canister at them, she panicked, ripped open her promask bag and instead of a promask, candy and chips went flying everywhere! Instructors were too busy laughing, they went from :eek3: to :rofl:.

I dont think youll get too much grief being medical and all. Youll probably spend most of your time working at a hospital and not working directly with line units.

10. Julius

Julius Guest

it's acceptable for e5-e8 (except first sgts)

11. Julius

Julius Guest

i thought marines do this too

12. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

fuck no, you pronounce the entire rank there is a big difference between e-5, e-6,e-6,e-7,e-8,e-9

13. Julius

Julius Guest

oh, i know this. i just meant the pronunciation of "sarnt" in it.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I always say "Sarnt", and I don't care whether my guys refer to me as Sergeant or Sarnt - just as long as they never refer to me as "Sir".

15. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Is 'sarnt' new? I don't remember this and I got out in 2006... Oh wait I was in the Air Force everyone is 'Sir.' :io: