GUN So what OT'er got arrested?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 6, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wednesday, December 6, 2006
    No bail granted in Internet threat case

Suspect faces gun charges

By Gary V. Murray TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    [email protected]

WORCESTER— A 23-year-old Shrewsbury man who was charged with possessing an assault rifle after allegedly posting threatening messages on an Internet chat board, was ordered held without bail yesterday.

Darren P. Thompson, of 12 Whitehall Circle, Shrewsbury, was ordered held on $25,000 cash bail in a separate court appearance Monday in Westboro District Court oncharges of possession of a firearm or ammunition without a firearms identification card, possession of a large-capacity firearm and improper storage of a large-capacity firearm. State police assigned to the office of Attorney General Thomas F. Reilly said they seized an SKS 7.62 x 39 mm rifle, 22 rounds of ammunition :noes: and a nail-studded baseball bat from Mr. Thompson’s room after obtaining a search warrant for the home he shares with his parents.

The search was prompted by an investigation into vague threats allegedly made by Mr. Thompson against “teeny-boppers” and “preps” on the Internet Movie Database Web site, www.imdb.com.

Mr. Thompson’s lawyer, Gregory Casale, sought a bail reduction yesterday in Worcester Superior Court, asking Judge John S. McCann to lower his client’s bail to $5,000 cash.

Mr. Casale downplayed the online messages allegedly posted by his client, describing the Internet as “a fantasy land” where “people say all sorts of things they never say in public.” The defense lawyer said any interest Mr. Thompson had in firearms and ammunition was related to a keen interest in hunting.

He also said Mr. Thompson’s apparent immaturity might be related to a pituitary gland problem he had as a child and growth hormones that were prescribed for him to treat the condition. He said the 23-year-old had been seeing a counselor and the counselor reported no threats made by Mr. Thompson that would have required the therapist to alert authorities.

Assistant Attorney General Laura M. Marlin told the judge she believed a minimum of $25,000 cash bail was necessary to ensure Mr. Thompson’s appearance in court.

Ms. Marlin said Mr. Thompson’s more than 500 posted messages, dating back to 2004, had become “more and more hostile and threatening” of late, including one in which he allegedly reported “looking for preppy teeny-boppers to target.

“He appears to carry a great deal of anger and hatred toward people who are fans of the young pop singers,” including Jesse McCartney, Ms. Marlin told the judge.

She said police found a loose-leaf binder in Mr. Thompson’s room that included a “list of people to kill.” The names of his mother and brother were on the list. The assistant attorney general said Mr. Thompson told police he admired Eric Harris, one of two students involved in the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Colorado, because he, too, was picked on as a child.

Judge McCann said he was mindful that Mr. Thompson had no criminal record, but that the court also had to consider whether the suspect represented a potential “danger to society.” He said the allegations in the case are “terribly upsetting to me as a judge.”

“I will not take the risk of mom and dad posting $25,000 cash bail,” Judge McCann said before ordering Mr. Thompson be held without bail. The action was taken “without prejudice” and the judge told Mr. Casale he could address the bail issue again if additional information became available.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

22 rounds? damn, I think I need to go home and hide my boxes of .17 and .223 :noes:

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

OMG a reporter that did some research and didn't just default to "a high capacity AK-47".

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Guy sounds like a douche with short man sydrome.:dunno:

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

That's only about 20 minutes away from me. And by MA state law, an SKS is classified as low-capacity.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

what if it was one that takes ak mag's or had one of the shitty aftermarket 30's that affect how its classified?

7. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

:ugh: "list of people to kill"? Sounds like he needs to be locked up before he looses it.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: dumb to leave a list around I keep mine in my head :o

9. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Better hide my 30 round mags for the sks :run:

10. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Good point actually. One that takes AK mags would be considered hi-cap. As far as those crappy SKS mags go, I don't know. It would probably be considered low-cap normally, but if he even owned one of those mags, then they'd probably call it a hi-cap.