GUN So what next, guys?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kellyclan, Mar 6, 2003.

1. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i dunno. i'm thinking since i want to set up a new desktop, only one major gun purchase will be made this month. So what should it be? New rifle or mod the Bushmaster?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

New rifle. Having a wide variety of weapons is nice.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i don't know. the choice betwixt the robinson and the SIR system. that's tough. one of my friends has the SIR on one of his uppers. couple that with the flip up rear sight, the Advanced armament forward pistol grip, the surefire he'll soon get, and either an acog or aimpoint (he's still deciding), and the quick attatch mount/flash suppressor (it's a flash suppressor with lugs for mounting his can) for his suppressor, all on a 16" heavy barreled preban upper. i'd say that the SIR is a start.

i have no experience with the robinsons, but how easy and affordable is it to get replacement parts? i've heard they're not bad as far as accuracy and reliability, but i know no one who owns one.

4. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I still want a USC w/ the grease gun mag mod :wackit:

5. footratfunkface

if that's the surefire that i think it is, it's like $600, with all the goodies. and the SIR is about $400.

i talked to wayne, the guy who owns the SIR, and he said that he likes it, and would still rather have all the goodies than a robinson, even though he puts a heavy emphasis on iron sights.

although, now that he's pretty much got all the goodies, he says that he'd like to have a robinson if only they'd chrome line their barrels.

6. kellyclan

Clean97- i DEFINITELY want a Krag. i decided that i'll seriously start shopping for one this fall, maybe sooner if all goes well with the car. If you know of any good sources for a nice example, please share. :bigthumb: Already have a Garand, i would like to add a 1903 and a M1A though.

Foot- The M900A is gonna run me about $450. :o And the M96 Recon model does have a chrome lined barrel. (Recon not to be confused with the Expeditionary Carbine model.)

Sick- i do have a Norinco, but i don't shoot it. i've been investigating a good cheap shooter on the side, but at this point, i have so much .223 on hand already, i'd like to stick with something that can shoot it. ;)

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Springfield M1A :fawk:

8. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

what is so interesting about the KRAG?

9. footratfunkface

i've got an old 1942 enfield No. 4 Mk. 1 that shoots okay for the abuse that it's had. i've got more ammo for that than i can shoot in two years.

my friend's dad has a 1903A4. they need a safe for it, because it's pretty valuable. it's in freaking amazing condition. they've also got some really old engraved colt double barrel shotgun.

his dad was in charge of some part of the army's marksmanship team some time after korea, so he got first crack at the old surplus stuff, like 1911's and 1903's. they've got 3 1903's, who knows how many 1911's, at least one M1 carbine, and more. none of those firearms cost his dad more than $50 or $60. most were like $20. and they've got tons of match ammo too, but i don't know how much of it is still any good.

anyways, back to the topic. an M1A done right (making it a DMR) is costly. you could always go buy the M21 from springfield, for what, $3000? or, you could sink $2400 and have an M1A loaded, get it glass bedded, add badger rings, a leupold scope, and a good mount.

10. kellyclan

Yeah, i was leaning towards the SARs. i've heard the supply of quality .223 mags for them is limited though. i'd probably want a 7.62 or maybe 5.45mm AK anyway.

For a 1903, i'd like to come up with a nice A1 or A4 example. Good shape obviously, but still not harm the value if i want to blow the dust off it once in a blue moon. Not really interested in the Japanese rifles, though if i ever found a good buy on a Type 38 or 44, i'd probably go for it. i have the token Mauser and Enfield, i'll branch off more to the European/Russian stuff once i've had my fill of the US arms. :) A nice Kar.43 would sure tickle me the right way.

But this is all in the future. For now, i think i'm leaning to the Recon rifle and hold off a month or two on the goodies. :wiggle:

Possum, check out the Springfield 1899 thread for the Krag.

11. Argyle

Argyle Guest

i second Clean97GTI's idea. get something old but new ( :confused: ). get a sharps rifle. :wackit:

12. kellyclan

Krag is the name of the action. The round is named for the rifle it was designed for. :o

13. kellyclan

14. Possum Stomper

....strange

btw kellyclan, how do you know som mcuh about guns, and where do you get them all?!?!?

15. kellyclan

Just a hobby like anything else. :) Some people do cars, i do guns. i still struggle with oil changes. :o Grew up with it, i suppose. While everyone else's dad and gramp were playing baseball with them, i was learning how to clean 1911's and make 2rd bursts with Thompsons. In all fairness, my collection profited enormously from my relatives' collections, nearly half my stuff is inherited.

i doubt i'd have ever become interested in WWII arms had it not been for my grandfather's interest. i enjoy digging up more info on the pieces when i get time and learning why he may have wanted a particular gun. He died before i was old enough to appreciate them as anything more than a weapon, so it's kind of fun to discover some oddity and realize why he bought it.

16. Possum Stomper

DUDE!!!:bowdown: :cool: :bigok: