A&P So what is the policy on photographing disasters, emergencies, etc....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

On Saturday I was driving with my sister (who was visiting) to take her to Mount Vernon (home of George Washington)

On the way we come up on about 20 emergency vehicles. Oh boy. 2 cars must have hit head on. Absolutely DESTROYED. 1 car had like 10 emergency people over it trying to get a person out. The other car was missing the driver, but the passenger had a sheet over them. :wtc:

I don't think I could ever bring myself to pull over and get out to photograph some horrible shit like that, even though my camera was with me for Mount Vernon.

Anyone else come across this situation? I could have captured some pictures that would make people speechless, but I just felt bad about the thought of exploiting someone's tragedy like that.

2. percent

percent deluded

I wouldn't pull up behind them, get out and start obviously photographing them because I would feel like a douche (and there are probably cops around...and cops fucking suck). But if I was across the street or had my camera ready while driving by....absolutely.

3. nfuNk

nfuNk SPARTACUS!!!

if I could do it unnoticed?

4. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

If there's already help on the scene, I'd take start taking photos.

5. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

I'd stay well out of the way of the people trying to do their jobs.

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I use to shoot news back in the day. Police and rescue people don't usually mind news photographers taking pics because we learned to stay out of the way. However, when regular citizens start showing up with their cameras flashing, I could see where the cops and firemen might not be too thrilled.

Having said that, you have every right to shoot photos as long as you are not on private property and you're not interfering with the rescue personnel.

7. Striff

Striff Gimme the chocolate OT Supporter

If your not in their way I do not see what the problem is.

8. Pikel

Pikel New Member

In that specific situation, that just doesn't seem like something that cool to photograph. It'd just be gory and sad. Maybe you could do something interesting with it, dunno, but my first reaction is it would just be pictures of an accident.

Something like a flood or a fire seems like it would be a lot more enticing to take pictures of and I would be tempted then.

I hope that makes sense :o

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

In that specific situation, it isn't necessarily "cool" but what I try to keep in the back of my mind is getting "that" shot that could only have been captured at that time.

Kind of like the photos of Princess Diana, etc., that were the last sets of photos ever seen of her. It's kind of morbid, so I think of other incidents instead, but you never know.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

shit at my last accident with 6 cop cars present, none had cameras. I had to email them my iphone pics :rofl:

11. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

not taking pictures? i would assume that would be the policy unless you work for the police.

if it was some type of natural disaster and you were trying to show the devastation and not just to get shock value out of showing the dead i can understand

but in an automotive accident there is no need, its unscrupulous and disgusting

12. epipusher

epipusher New Member

as a Medic, if it was my scene, I wouldn't mind a bit. If it is a minor accident or if I don't have a patient to attend too, than I am snapping pics myself. I always carry a p&s for that reason. My only suggestion would be to stay out of the way of the responders and not use the victims faces, out of respect.