So what does everyone think on AMD buying ATI?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RyanL, Aug 15, 2006.

1. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I realize it happened a few weeks ago but I haven't seen anything in here about it.

I think that it could be good if AMD brings ATI up to their level, but then again ATI could drag AMD to theirs.

There are rumors of AMD opening ATI's drivers which would be great, especially since sun has decided to open java up. Linux would finally make some huge gains and there wouldn't be anymore shitty ATI drives on both windows and linux.

On the flip side since Intel now hates ATI maybe they will start bundling nvidia+intel in notebooks and I can finally get one without ati.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The product is already good. If they can improve the drivers, so much the better. Also, if AMD buying ATI means that nVidia will largely do business with Intel, then AMD will have to lower the power of its mobile CPUs more than it has before, so its shiny new ATI division will be able to compete with nVidia in the laptop market. Otherwise, AMD would instantly hand a large portion of its new market (video cards) to the competition (nVidia) without even making them fight for it. It wouldn't bother me at all to be able to buy an AMD laptop with comparable battery life to a Centrino notebook.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I think this:

AMD + ATI = AMDATI = TIDAAM = DATMIA = ADATMI = IDAMTA = TAADMI

... and I'm spent.

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

AMDTi?

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Should be interesting considering how much better AMD's engineering and chip fab are compared to ATI. Could make for some interesting products down the road.

6. deusexaethera

= DAAMIT!

7. Hartman

Hartman New Member

AMD is dropping the ATI name.

8. Clarity

Clarity New Member

:bowdown:

9. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

winnar!

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I hope AMD at least release the specs on the video card's so the DRI developers can build complete, free drivers. AMD wouldn't need to open their drivers (but it wouldn't be a bad idea considering they suck).

I hoped a similar thing when Adobe merged with Macromedia - they'd at least change the license on the specs so the gnash dev's can easily build a decent flash player but nooooooooo, instead they kill their own OBVIOUSLY NOT GNU/LINUX DEVELOPERS to build the gnu/linux flash player, and what do we fucking get? A bunch of depressing blog posts and no flash player.

ATi, Macromedia, they just can't bloody code on this platform. They should just release the specs (I hope they can speak English).

11. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

adobe hadn't and hasn't been the most supportive of linux. AMD has a huge linux crowd, especially with their 64 bit machines, so hopefully they listen to them

12. deusexaethera

To be able to code really good drivers for Linux, you really have to have contributed to the development of the OS to start with. Open-source may be free for anyone to study and write code for, but it helps to have an insider's knowledge of the system.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Ummm... isn't the GNU/Linux Flash player done?

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Exactly, they have no decent GNU/Linux programmers, you'd think they'd hire some, or simply release the specs.
    Well http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer offers me version 7,0,63,0.

I don't care about there being no flash player 9 for gnu/linux, I wouldn't install it anyhow until they release either the code or the specs (that flash shit is destroying the vendor-neutral web), I care about Adobe killing their programmers (that probably shouldn't be plural) trying to get a flash player out when they could just release the damn specs and everyone would be happy. In one month we'd have a workable flash player, in a few more we'd have a better flash player than anyone else! I hope AMD do the smart/good thing, but we'll see..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  15. deusexaethera

If everybody gives everything away, there is no incentive to improve. Propriety incites competition, and competition drives progress.

16. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I know, the Linux kernel source code hasn't changed since 1991, it sucks. Neither has Mozilla since Netscape released the code.

17. deusexaethera

I don't know if you're joking or not. All I know is that innovation only happens by accident OR when there is a competitive advantage to be had. If there's no competition, there's no advantage. If there's no advantage, then (almost) nobody cares. That's why communism is awesome for mass-production and shitty for science and technology.

(I'm not saying open-source is communist, so don't bite my head off. It's just a comparison.)

That doesn't mean that open-source doesn't do a good job of plodding along and refining its products, though. It just takes a lot longer. Most of the innovation in open-source has actually been donated from companies that make shitloads of money from other ventures, and they want to write off some of that income as charitable donations. All they have to do is assign a dollar value to the technology they're releasing to the public, and suddenly their taxes go down a bit.

18. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

ONE WORD: Apache.

(and yes I was joking. Linux has turned out to be the greatest working kernel ever (imo), and Mozilla turned out to be a damn-cool browser, but then they went and spawned Firefox which now has Microsoft shitting their pants (to a massive extent, when you think it's Microsoft we're talking about)).

19. deusexaethera

What about Apache?

20. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:hsugh:

Giving everything away just changes the arena of competition. You can't have a monopoly on a piece of software anymore, which is _good_ for competition. Instead, you have to work hard at providing the next killer feature either before anyone else or better than anyone else, or provide better support/user experience than anyone else.

As for plodding along, provide me with one example of a proprietary product that has been developed faster than its open source equivalent. In any field I can think of where a proprietary product has some lead over its open source equivalent, it is at least partly because they had a head start (i.e. Oracle vs. MySQL/Postgres).

21. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

All in less than a year, they got Apache 1.0 out and blew the shit out of everything else, becoming the number one webserver and staying there for nearly 11 years, and they're still there. And you can't say they did nothing innovative, unless you can find a pre-1995 webserver that extensible.

http://httpd.apache.org/ABOUT_APACHE.html

22. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

I'm not looking forward to anything special yet...

My instinct is that 'a big company gobbled up another big company and will now try to take over both fields', motherboard/chipsets and GPU's respectively.

I'm in a world-takeover kind of mood today, so just my .02

23. deusexaethera

That's a typical argument. Why would anyone care about being the first to roll out the next big feature, if they don't get to make any money off it? And I think the very fact that so many proprietary products were created before their open-source equivalents is proof enough that money is a better motivator than altruism.

24. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Because they like to program...?

25. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Open source != Not sellable. Lots of companies sell OSS and people are perfectly happy to buy them. Plus support contracts. The money motivation is still there.