So what all do I NEED for gear?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ///M, May 25, 2008.

1. ///M

///M New Member

And what is optional? For example, do I necessarily need pants, or would wearing jeans be acceptable (and protective enough)?

I know I need a helmet, gloves, jacket, boots/shoes that cover my ankle, etc. (might be missing a thing or two) :o

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

jeans will be like tissue paper when it hits asphalt. when i wear jeans i wear tpro armor pants under them for some extra protection. knee/shin armor, hips, thighs, butt protection.

if you're new to riding, you'll want all the gear you can get...

[​IMG]

3. ///M

///M New Member

:cool: is there a guide somewhere detailing all the types of gear and whatnot for noob riders? :dunno:

4. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

This.

If you want to be safe you should have a jacket and pants that will slide, and that should be your minimum. Jeans grip the road and shred.

5. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

for hot weather (well, and for it's intended use) I have some dirtbike pads that I can toss on under jeans that'll be a lot better than not if I eat shit. Are they as good as my actual gear? Nope. Are they a lot better than not? Absolutely.

6. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Full gear all the time, regardless of skill level, weather, riding environment.

Thats all you need to know.

7. ///M

///M New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (htc touch : Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11313/308; U; en))

do you guys wear gloves at all times while riding?

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

yes. i'll ride in no gear but helmet and gloves at times... but gloves are an absolute must. they're the one thing that's just about guaranteed to hit the ground.

9. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

I never ride without a helmet, jacket, or gloves.

I only wear the pants and boots if I'm going for a ride ride, aka not for commuting.

10. ///M

///M New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (htc touch : Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11313/308; U; en))

hm. doesn't it get really hot riding in hot weather with a jacket on though? i don't want to be sweating like mad if i'm riding to work or something :o

11. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

I wear a textile if its gonna be really hot, it has a removable coat liner on the inside. And breathable vents that can zip open and closed

12. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

doesn't matter really. Just stay hydrated, wear deodorant and drink more water when you arrive at work.

People look like fucktards riding bikes in a t-shirt. There, I said it. :rolleyes:

13. ///M

///M New Member

so,

helmet
    gloves
    pants
    jacket

sound about right? :dunno:

Is price going to mean a big difference in most of the items (i already has a snell 2000/DOT approved helmet that fits perfectly)? Like if I buy some $40 Joe Rocket gloves are they going to be vastly inferior in overall protection compared to some $200 Alpinestars gloves?

I'm just trying to understand what the higher prices in mainly the jackets/gloves/pants mean. :dunno: From what I see most of them (higher $ vs. lower $) share the same core features as far as protection goes.

Also, any specific product suggestions for a good gear setup would be appreciated. :cool:

14. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Don't forget the boots. Good boots will save your feet in the case of a bad accident. Don't skimp on the boots

15. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

16. squid

squid braap

+1

I wear this when I have to go somewhere and not look like a Power Ranger. Like work.

For gear you want good leather or high-quality textile. Look for gear with hard CE armor in the shoulders, elbows, and at least a slot for a back protector. It should have a little foamy one in there, but if not you can buy one from Teknic that should slot in there for like $20. Same for pants--you want protection in the knee, shin, and some padding in the ass and hips for impact.

17. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Agree with everything said above. My first ride was a 200cc scooter (Piaggio BV200), and I had full gear, spent about $500 on it. Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket, 2 pairs of nice gloves (one short vented pair for hot weather, one thick pair of gauntlets for cooler weather), Fox Panther pants, HJC CL14 full-face helmet, and some Reebok full-leather basketball shoes that come up above the ankle, that way they offer ankle protection, and I could also wear them at work. Don't not wear gear, it's retarded, dress for the crash, not the ride. There's a guy I work with who only wears gear on long trips, but not when just bopping around town, but he also sold his Ninja 600 for a Gixxer 1000 because the 600 could "only" go 140+ MPH.

By the way, I recently put some of my gear to the test, and it worked great. Sold my scooter and bought an 84 Honda Magna 1100, and the day after I bought it, went for a little ride with a friend. Thought about just wearing jeans, but went with the riding pants instead. Near the end of the ride, took off from a stop sign, gave it too a little too much throttle, and the back end came around and we went over on the right side. My pants got burned on the exhaust, and a couple holes in the knee pad, but all I go was a small bruise on my knee, and a big bruise on my right elbow from where it hit the ground. But if I'd been wearing jeans/shorts and a t-shirt, my elbow and knee would have been hamburger. I have a new pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic pants now, those Fox ones are pretty much retired now.

18. ///M

///M New Member

:ugh: :uh:

:coold:

19. ///M

///M New Member