LGBT So Utah is a little behind

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ExDelayed, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

But its progress. :hsugh:

Salt Lake City creates Human Rights Commission
    Unanimous Vote by Council
    With a unanimous vote of 7-0 last night, the Salt Lake City Council approved an ordinance that creates a Human Rights Commission for the capitol city. The commission will serve as an advisory body to the Council and Mayor, as well as providing resources for educating the citizenry on issues of discrimination and equal treatment of all segments of society. Commission members will be chosen by the Mayor and approved by the Council.

"The creation of the commission is a great statement that Salt Lake City will not tolerate discrimination of any kind," said Councilmember Jill Remington Love, who along with Councilmember Eric Jergensen, have been working on the ordinance for close to three years.

"To create the commission we pulled together varied interests such as Equality Utah, NCCJ, University of Utah and Westside Neighborhood Partners, as well as many community and religious leaders from across our city," said Councilmember Eric Jergensen "This shows that people of good will, no matter their background, can come together and work toward a common goal that benefits everyone."

"The practice of discrimination against... groups, communities, or individuals on the grounds of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, national origin, marital status, medical condition, physical limitation, race, religion, or sexual orientation, and the related exploitation of prejudice, adversely affects the general welfare of the City and the vitality of its neighborhoods," the ordinance reads. "Discriminatory practices are detrimental because they impede the social and economic progress of the City by preventing all people from contributing to or fully participating in the cultural, spiritual, social and commercial life of the community, essential to the growth and vitality of its neighborhoods and businesses."

The idea of a human rights commission was presented to members of the council over three years ago by Equality Utah, specifically board members Jane Marquardt and Tim Houpt and executive director Michael Mitchell. They have been working since then with Jergensen and Love on the ordinance.

"The Human Rights Commission is a magnificent gift to the city that creates a formal dialogue between city government and its citizens around issues of human rights," said Equality Utah Executive Director Michael Mitchell. "That it passed with unanimous support says that the Salt Lake City Council and Mayor's Office is ready to lead that dialogue in a constructive, meaningful and proactive way."

"I'm very proud of the work that has been done around the passage of this ordinance and look forward to the upcoming process of working to eliminate discrimination in Salt Lake City. I am happy to see our capitol city join the dozens of other municipalities and states across the nation that have created such commissions."

2. coma

coma New Member

Love your new av. HOT!:big grin:

3. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Here is the fullsize.

[​IMG]

:naughty:

4. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...he looks familiar. :o

5. sholnay

sholnay New Member

hes freakin HOT!!!!!

sorry I didnt really read your whole article, the first thing I noticed was your new av too.. then I saw you posted the full version... OMG :big grin: maybe tomorrow i'll read it.. forgive me! :rofl:

6. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

good find and it's about time they stepped up the the plate.

oh yeah... very very hot av!

7. Robert

Robert New Member

I am kind of shocked it was 7-0. I thought Jurgenson, Christenson and Buhler would've voted against it. Well I guess Jurgenson is feeling the heat with re-election this year. How ever a conservative Pubbie get elected in such a gay-liberal district like the Avenues is beyond me.

Still with the current makeup of the SLC Council, I would've though Love, Lambert and Saxton would've been the only pro votes.