A&P So umm... 40D?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by asdfbunk, Dec 4, 2008.

1. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

So a certain elitist with a brand new D700 got me thinking about my choice of camera(he may not remember, it was a little while ago).

Been doing a bit of reading, but maybe OTAP can do exactly what I want out of this thread; push me to buying the 40D.

I am getting pretty serious with this hobby, and am looking to purchase a 40D. What are the main, notable differences between the XSi and the 40D?

Also, if any Canadian crew are on here, what's a decent price to pay on one? Should I grab one with a kit lens? Or just the body and buy a decent short range lens to start me off? I can, usually, get just over 10% off on anything www.bestbuy.ca or www.futureshop.ca will sell so I'm thinking I'll grab it there (even if someone else sells it cheaper, a price match will yield a better price in the end).

edit

and yes, my XSi will be refunded in full, so I lost nothing there.

edit#2

Oh, some reasons why I want it. The higher ISO is definitely one of the factors, as I'll be shooting a lot in not-optimal light conditions where flash may or may not be an option. The XSi is also a bit small for my likes. I've also heard the mirror is a lot quieter due to being motor-up instead of spring-up like in the XSi, can anyone attest to this?

And the quicker CF cards/shooting speed is probably one of the biggest things I'm looking at in the differences.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. 3x

3x New Member

try to find a used 5d if you can. 40d is a definite upgrade over the xsi, though.

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:werd:

I agree w/ him.

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I love my 40D. The kit lens on it (28-135mm) isn't the highest quality, but it is Image Stabilized. 1000 times better than my 300D 18-55mm kit lens.

If you can get a 5D for that price, then go for it. Although the 5D is older technology, it is full frame. I don't know what kind of processor the 5D used, but the 40D has a Digic III which is a great processor. It's the same processor as your XSI.

Another nice thing is that the 40D/5D have magnesium bodies, so they feel 1000 times better in your hand than the plastic body of the Rebel. When I went to purchase a camera, I held them in my hands to feel which one was best to me. The two cameras I wanted were the 40D or D300. Unfortunately the D300 was out of my price range, otherwise I'd probably be a Nikonian.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

It is hard for me to imagine living life with my XTi again. The upgrade to the 40D might be the best hardware upgrade I have made. a used 40D is going to cost you half of what a used 5D will cost so keep that in mind. I love the higher ISO and the IQ at those higher ISO's I also like teh 6FPS. not because I dont time my shots but because sometimes a 2 year old does not follow the rules of timing. I have gotten awesome shots on accident from grabbing them extra frames. I have the grip for mine and it is great to hold. I really can not say enough good about it.

6. aCab

aCab New Member

Learn to use what you got first. If you never know how to use a camera well, it won't matter what camera you have, your pics will still be shitty.

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

You shut your mouth! Not only do new cameras take better pictures, they make you look cooler! :big grin:

8. asdfbunk

Used 5D's go for a shit-ton here.

I played around with the 40D a bit, it does feel a LOT better, I find the menu set-up a whole lot easier to use too.
    :mamoru:
    :bigthumb:
    Of course, although one of the biggest reasons for my upgrade is that I'm coming up on 2 weeks with my XSi, and I already find the menu quite bothersome. I've been playing around with the better stuff on display (like any good consumer!) and I am finding a huge attraction towards the 40D/50D.

I'm getting quite in to this hobby, and while I'm not any good yet, I feel sinking money in to a 40D over an XSi as my only camera for a long, long time won't bother me much. If I get good, I have a better camera to play around with. If I don't, I have a better camera to continue on with my struggle. Thanks for the advice though!

And great point. The #1 reason for this is so I look cooler.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  9. Bloke

Bloke Banned

hows the viewfinder in the 40d?

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

if the menu's and ergo's are what bother you, you should look at a Nikon.

11. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i want a Nikon :wtc: i saw that used F6 go for under a grand now
    does anyone know how the f6 exif thing works

12. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I've always heard Nikon put stuff in funky places. Any truth to that? Being a Canon shooter, I've never really messed with any Nikon bodies though so I'm only speaking of hearsay.

13. aCab

aCab New Member

scanner.jpg? :mamoru:

14. Bloke

Bloke Banned

no the f6 has a flash card to store exif
    nikon>you

15. aCab

aCab New Member

yeah, i saw it does save it to a text file to CF. Looks like its an external attachment though.

16. 3x

3x New Member

i can reach every control while shooting with my right hand on my d90 :wiggle:

17. asdfbunk

I'm keeping my options open. I do like the fact that Canon lenses seem to be cheaper though :mamoru:

18. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

How about menu wise?

19. aCab

aCab New Member

lenses>bodies.

Your money can be better spent elsewhere.

20. 3x

3x New Member

they are :o

21. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

Forget about the kit lens, OTAP advised me to buy the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 when I was wondering about the exact same thing. :bowdown:

I'm so happy that I got it. Used a standard kit lens and hate it.

22. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

I just picked up a 40D. I was looking at the XSi but the grip just didn't feel right to me. This will be a nice upgrade from my S5 IS. I got it with the kit lens but will be picking up the 17-50mm Tamron that everyone has recommended here and elsewhere.

23. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Differences between 40D and XS

40D has...
    -2MP
    Magnesium body instead of plastic
    Shoots 6.5 FPS
    Large wheel on the back (big deal to me)
    Slightly larger viewfinder
    3200 ISO
    Slightly faster AF
    LCD window up top

Maybe more...but I cant think of it offthe top of my head.

24. asdfbunk

But.. the 40D will serve me much better shooting hockey games, (which is what I'll be doing a lot of) won't it? It's only another $300 on top of the XSi, won't buy me a great lens anyway :hs:

25. aCab

aCab New Member

Depends on how light the arena is. Being able to shoot at a lower ISO on the XSi with a lens that has a wider aperture will probably yield better results than a 40d with a lens that doesn't perform well in low light.

The AF is better, but that's not relevant if you only have a lens that will have a minimum aperture of f/5.6 when zoomed in. Cameras AF better with wider aperture lenses because their af sensors get more light.

Burst mode is better, but is a crutch. IIRC adamlewis does more timing than spray and pray.

You can pick up an 85 f/1.8 for around $300ish used