SRS So uhh, I just realized how much $ I have spent the past 7 years...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LBFilmGuy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. LBFilmGuy

LBFilmGuy LOL why u mad tho?

on having 2 different, "nice" cars, and it's pretty damn depressing.

When I was 17 1/2, I graduated from high school and as my present I got the down payment paid for on a lease of 2001 Audi A4. Got a nice deal, with a $325 monthly payment. Had it for 4 years, so I spent a total of $15,600 on it.

In 2005, I sold the A4 out of lease, paid it off and wiped my hands clean of it. I then financed a 2002 BMW 325 Coupe, and have had it for 3 years now this month. Payment is $423 a month so I have spent roughly another $15,200 on it so far.

That is almost $31,000. I look at my bank account and think, holy fuck, how nice would it be to have all of that $ back!? That would pay for all of my student loans and then some.

I am by no means broke...I have worked since I was 16, in college now and graduating this coming May with a degree in film production. But I stop and think, man...I could have worked a lot less, not missed out on a lot of good times because of it, and all because I have enjoyed driving a nice car? Why didn't I just have my parents get me a used Honda or something when I graduated high school?

Is this something I should really let bother me? Nothing I can do about it now I guess, except to trade in the BMW for something cheaper, which I plan on doing because the extended warranty is up at the end of the month. :o

:sadwavey:

2. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

IMO, it does sound depressing... it reminds me of my student loans that I'll be paying for 20 years, and at the end of it all, I'll be paying them about $90k with interest and everything. That makes me depressed because I take a look at it and say, "Damn, I could of gone to a four year University with that money... would of gotten a scholarship and all that, but no, I had to go for a dream." And then I think about it some more and get more depressed and then say to myself, "I would be doing so much better if not all that..."

In any case, what's done is done and all we can do now is plan for the future. Plan on making better and more thoughtful decisions in our lives.

:hug:

It'll all be over soon.

3. saiaba

saiaba Guest

I feel the same way I'm on my 5th new car and i'm 26 :( granted two were complete lemons and one got totalled by a semi.

like someone said.. learn and keep it moving.

4. ian2000gsxr

ian2000gsxr New Member

eh dont beat yourself up about it. u enjoyed the cars now move on to something more practical

5. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

You don't regret it do you? I mean, of course it would be nice to have it all back but then you probably wouldn't be where you are in life right now.

You make money to spend it.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

That's why I'm always glad I just got a shitty ass Saturn as my first car (still have it). It's was already paid off a while ago and I didn't waste a ton of money. However, cars have never been important to me. My Saturn still run amazing after 7 years.

Oh well man, at least you know now and maybe will think twice about buying another expensive car?

7. LBFilmGuy

I do and I don't...

I love cars, so I haven't minded spending the $ on them.

But when I think about it, did I really need them right now, at this age, in college?

:o

8. n o o d l z

n o o d l z New Member

One of my passions in life is cars...I'd gladly pay that much over 7 years versus driving a beater around, to each his own :dunno: Then again it's always good to keep your other debt to a minimum.

9. LBFilmGuy

Now I need to decide what to trade my BMW in for :hsd:

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

11. iwishyouwerebeer

My bf settled for a typical 2001 Sentra as his first car. He still has it to this day even though for years he's constantly dreamed of a nicer car (Audi, BMW, etc.). His still runs well and he actually has plenty of money to afford a nice new car. The other day he said maybe he'd just drive it for 2 more years but get it a paint job. I was like ":hsugh: it doesn't even need a paint job! Why not just drive it for 2 years the way it is, save your money and then buy the car of your dreams."

I've just never understood why young kids who don't have money get these awesome high class cars. I'm working in an upper class neighborhood right now and I just met a kid 30 minutes ago who was 17 with a brand new Audi. Makes no sense.

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Leasing is really only a good option for people that want to change cars every 2-3 years and don't mind paying for that luxury. Most people are far better off buying a car outright.

The high price of cars is why I drive a Honda. Those things are tanks and I can drive it till the wheels fall off. I've had mine since 2000 and it's still going strong. I don't have a car payment and it's great. I could afford a new car but I don't want to.

IMO cars are never an investment. They are always a consumable....like toilet paper, paper towels and food. Therefore, I don't like wasting money one one.

13. LBFilmGuy

Same here...but something like a 98 accord isn't exactly a beater and would have gotten the job done.

Maybe I should just ride this out...have 2 years left and it will be paid off :hsd:

14. Coottie

The answer? NO but you'll likely not listen to me.

If you're in an apartment and going to college then you obviously have a lot of expenses.

IMO it's much better off to wait until after you graduate before spending a lot of money on cars.

Hell if you had invested that money, by the time you're 35 you would be AMAZED at how much money you have at your disposal.

ANYONE can be a millionaire. THey just need to consistently invest, no matter how little they have. Even $50/month over 20 years can have a HUGE impact on ones net worth and cash flow. Most people however, are too into the toys.....too bad for them.

I know plenty of 70 year olds that were the same way and now they can't quit working because they have to have money/benefits. If they had learned how to save and invest, they wouldn't need to work a day past 65. Most college students are too short sighted to think like this.

15. Coottie

:werd:

16. LBFilmGuy

I see your point, but I was able to afford it, as well as my current car. It has just come to a point where I think I would rather be paying less each month.

If that makes any sense.

17. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh it definitely makes sense. If I were you and I had far more important bills to pay I would switch my car in in a heartbeat.

18. LBFilmGuy

You're right :hsd:

19. LBFilmGuy

The only other important big bills I have are insurance obviously, and rent...rent is actually cheaper than my car payment :mamoru:

20. iwishyouwerebeer

I thought you had school bills?

21. LBFilmGuy

Well, that too, once I graduate :o

22. Coottie

I do believe you will be kicking yourself once you start paying on those student loans. They have a way of hanging around for many, many years. However, if you had saved that money you spent on cars....you'd prolly be able to make a HUGE dent in those loans and may even have paid them off.

23. iwishyouwerebeer

:werd: I'd start looking for a different car right now. There are plenty of smaller cars out there (like Camry's) that run very well, don't cost too much to fill, and have a long lifespan.

24. LBFilmGuy

Okay dude you're killing me with the would have and could haves :rofl:

We all know I can't go back in time.

I am not worried that I will have a hard time paying them off, with my degree it should not be a problem.

25. Coottie

Ok...well have fun with your fucked up finances then...you're obviously a financial genius. :rolleyes: