So Uh, about to Zaino it up...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Chrysler, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Chrysler

Chrysler New Member

The site talks about wash car blah blah, apply Zsomething... blah blah

Well, what exactly do i wash the car with?

Sponge, Mitt, Rag?

Any advice would help, about to head to get the 100% cotton towels and dawn =)

Thanks !!

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't really know much about Zaino, but you should be washing your car with a mitt or sponge. They will both work fine. I use a soft brush with a long wooden handle.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Register at www.autopia.org and do a forum search for "Nick's Zaino tips" or something like that. It may be in the hall of fame forum.

You will need to wash the car down with Dawn dish soap after any polishing steps before applying Zaino. After that, use car wash soap.

4. Chrysler

Chrysler New Member

I chose to go with a mitt, it worked very well, still have 4 coats to go before ill post some pics, after 1 coat of z5 and z2 still have a good bit of swirl marks though, will try some more tomorrow.

5. Scottwax

If you have a lot of swirl marks, Zaino isn't going to hide them, in fact, since it is so clear and reflective, it can make them look even worse. Your best bet is to use a proper abrasive swirl remover and get rid of the swirls. Z5 has some filling properties, but I hear a lot of complaints in autopia about it not doing much.

6. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

Zaino hid my swirls. My paint looks flawless after 8 years.

Now I do work for Zaino, and my truck just looks even better now.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

The key word there is "hid." I don't want my swirl marks hidden, I want them gone.

8. Scottwax

Agreed. I'd rather remove them so when the product eventually wears off you don't have to fill them in again.

9. Error

It doesn't. I've let it go for months on end and the swirls never return. It fills them in nicely.

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Right... it fills them in. I don't want that, I want NO swirls, not filled-in swirls.

11. Error

Use 3M machine polish part #31003 then with a good random orbital buffer, then Zaino over it for shine and protection. The 3M polish will eliminate swirls entirely. I've done it many times.

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I already know how to remove swirls. I wasn't asking how. I was simply saying that I would rather have them gone than covered up.

13. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

If you REALLY want to do it right, get 2 buckets, and 2 mitts of your choice, (napa makes on that is perfect for the car care enthusiast) Wash the car w/ a dish soap to get everything off, as in all previous coats of whatever you wax/polished with. Using one of the mitts to do surfaces that face upward on teh car, and the other to do surfaces on the side. One bucket to dip (with soap) the other to rinse. (we do this b/c the dirt on the side of the car is a different dirt then on the top of the car (i.e. side is rubber/oil etc etc), and putting the 2 on the same mitt=bad news) but again, this is only if you REALLy care. After washing w/ dawn, claybar that sucker liek there is no tommorrow w/ a mixture of water and z7. For more detailed instruction on claybaring, see the site.
    After claybar, wash teh car w/ z7 again, to remove the claybar "residue". AFter this, apply z1, then z2, z5,z2, z5 however many times you want, in any order you deem appropriate ( I recomend ZFX to speed teh process up dramaticly). buff out w/ egyptian cotten towels or better (feildcrest makes excellent towels) and viola, perfect shine/protection.

As for my experience w/ swirls on my black car. Before i used zaino, they were VERY apparent, after about 1.5 yrs of using zaino, and i recenlty went 6+mnths w/o a wash, the swirls are GONE. This is after about 3/4 a bottle of z5. When in direct sunlight, they are not noticable. In fact the only time i DO see them, is, well, i can't remember when i;ve seen apparent swirl marks on my car since using zaino.

No matter what product you use to protect/shine/show off your car, I beleive the best investment i have ever made in maintaining my car, is my california car duster. A quick wipe down after a day of driving, and a quick wipe down in the morning, and things are A okay. If i dust, and it rains, no worries, b/c there is no dirt on the paint for the water to make water spots. If you live in an area that has "hard" rain, or basically has more contamenants, then you will have the problem nonetheless, but i suggest everyone bust out w/ a california car duster.

-Boudreaux

14. Error

Remember, only put 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 mixed with ZFX on per day. If you're not using ZFX, only do one coat per day. Mist the car with Z6 and wipe down between coats, as it prepares the Zaino for the next coat.

Remember not to claybar dry. I've seen a few people ruin stuff that way. Claybar it while it's soapy with Z7, or use a mixture of Z7 and water in a spray bottle.

If you don't want to use 100% made in USA cotton towels, use MicroFiber. I personally prefer www.dftowel.com towels or www.microfibertech.com towels. Neither have left marks in my paint ever.

As for a quick drying technique. Do this. Take the spray nozzle off the hose, let the weight of the water sheet itself off the paint. You'll be left with MUCH fewer drops, and drying time and effort is cut to nil. If you have one, a leafblower also helps drastically, as you can use it to blow water out of all the "drop spots" and blow most of the water off the car. Cuts towel time to almost none.

Last tip. When wiping Z2 or Z5 off the car, very slightly dampen the towel with one spray of Z6. I actually prefer to put a light mist of Z6 down as I'm wiping the polish off. Helps it come off, and leave behind an insane shine.

Enjoy, and by all means, TAKE PICTURES!