So today I think I'll join a gym.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DC, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC

DC OT Supporter

I give up on finding a small weight bench that can fulfill my lifting needs. I'm going to join a gym.

By the way. If you remember me, I always come in and say I'm gonna get skinny. I started off at almost 400lbs at the beginning of the year.

With nothing but diet and walking, I've already lost 25# in the matter of a month and a half. I can imagine once I join a gym, the pounds will melt off.

Note: Eight of us at work just threw $50 in a pool between us, and after 3 months, the person who loses the biggest % of body weight gets the money.

2. Stinky No More

Stinky No More New Member

Congrats on the weight loss!

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Good decision. Just make sure you actually go to the gym and work your ass off while you're there. And make sure you go through the archives and read every thread and every post.

4. Remington

Remington OT Supporter

Good job...you got alot of fatties at work. You know that it will be pretty easy to win that bet, right?

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Forget carbs. I tried to limit my carb intake to improve my health a little bit more and I lost some weight, even though I didn't want to. I had to reup the carb intake to keep me from getting any skinnier.
    Do HIIT and lift.

6. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

He's weighs 400lbs, I doubt he knows what HIIT is... I would suggest getting his stomach stappled and ditching the rascle.

7. Remington

Remington OT Supporter

did you post this in the wrong thread? :confused: At 375 I think he could stand to cut some carbs and get skinnier.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

:ugh:

HIIT is only for people who already have a base of aerobic fitness. Not for people who are 375 lbs.

9. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Cool. I was lifting at my apartment for like 8 months in a shitty little apartment gym. When I finally got into a real gym, the results grew exponentially.

10. Piracy

Piracy New Member

what's your diet like now? gj on the first 25.

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

:bigthumb: It seems like you've got the drive to succeed

Pics?

12. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

Take Progress pics now so when your skinny, you will be able to compare.

13. DC

DC OT Supporter

Diet now? here's pretty much the daily breakdown

I wake up at 5:00 in the morning.
    About 5:30 I eat a bowl of oatmeal.
    Go to work at 7.
    9:30 or so I grab a piece of fruit or a pack of crackers (no more vending machine food here)
    11:00 I take lunch. I don't ever go out to eat anymore, I think that's one of the biggest problems I had. For the past 3 weeks it's pretty much been the same thing. I have a sandwich on wheat, a side salad or vegetable, and sugar free jello or something of that caliber. To drink I have 2 bottled waters.
    About 2:30-3:00 I grab some nuts or a sensible snack.
    I leave work at 5:30-6:00
    I get home around 6:30, my roommate and I take the dogs on a 3 mile walk. We then do whatever sounds good for dinner. Usually it's chicken-based.

Basically, it's not as much what I'm eating, as what I'm not eating. I don't think any meal you cook yourself can touch what fast food does to your body and now I'm a firm believer in no soda, water only or the occasional glass of juice.

I do have a decent barbell set here, and I'll probably buy a few other free weights, but I'm leaving right now to join the rec center.

Believe it or not, even though I am 375lb, I'm VERY active. I play golf, disc golf, am on the work softball league and once every week or two I go play basketball with some guys from work.

Nobody would think I'm close to 400lb if you know me. Most people from work thought I was 320-330 max. I carry it well and I have a lot more muscle mass than most fat people. My roommate's brother weighs 20lb less than me and is literally about 1.5x my size.

14. DC

DC OT Supporter

There are three departments where I work (a rental store)

Service Yard, Front Counter, and Maintenace
    I'm the only fat service guy, all the mechanics are fat, and the front counter guys (with the exception of 2) are all fat middle aged guys.

15. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

damn good job on that diet. I could never do a strict/structured diet like that.

16. Stinky No More

Stinky No More New Member

Nice diet. You're about it not being about what you eat. What you eat is critical and you're not doing bad at all. 5 sensible small meals. The only thing I would say you should increase is fiber. Water soluble in fruit.

17. DC

DC OT Supporter

Well, didn't join a gym today...joined a rec center.

$29 a month because I work in the town it's in. I took a tour of it before I joined, and I've NEVER seen so much nice equipment in a government funded building.

I took a tour of it today. You walk in and there's a pool that looks like it should be in a resort to your right. to the left of that is a huge rock climbing wall...then you walk behind that and you see the motherload.

There's a nice sized 'fitness room' that's all out in the open, feels like you're in a mansion. In the back, there are gigantic windows overlooking the rest of the park. There are ~20 treadmills, ~10 ellipticals, and ~10 stationary bikes. To the left of that, you have all the nautilus equipment you'd ever want to use...but of course to the right is where the fun is. You have every bench and weight station you'd ever need. This is honestly the first government funded gym I've seen that even had a smith machine, let alone 2 of them. Can't wait to get started tomorrow.

18. chizzle

chizzle New Member

:bigthumb: Don't be discouraged when the weight loss slows down, just keep at it.

19. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

yep... you've got a lot of progress to make but its going to be fun. When those pounds start melting off its gonna do nothing but motivate you even more.

but as stated above, when its starts to slow down - don't get discouraged, just comes with the territory.

good work brotha, stick with it

20. Piracy

Piracy New Member

If i could afford it, i'd join a gym just for the swimming pool :o
    sounds like a good deal, keep at it!

and on a side note, you'll love it when people start to notice that you're losing a lot of weight. i started at 300+ and have lost about 55 lbs since october, it feels great when people ask me about it.

21. DC

DC OT Supporter

One person has asked me about it, and two people have told me it looks like I've been losing weight.

My roommate's girlfriend, who I see about twice a week noticed it when we went bowling last saturday.

22. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

good job. what's even better is seeing people when you're skinny that haven't seen you since you were at your start weight. :rofl:

23. DC

DC OT Supporter

I'm gonna borrow my roommate's digi cam now, my batteries are dead, back in a few with the future 'before' pics.

EDIT: Cancel that, he's asleep. I'll get batteries at work tomorrow.

24. DC

DC OT Supporter

When doing Cardio, do you recommend using a treadmill or an elliptical? I can do the biking, but I'm not the biggest fan.

Don't worry about the elliptical putting too much strain on good ol' glowincelica. I can still run about 1/4 of a mile before I get really winded, and a 3 mile walk isn't crap anymore.

25. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

mix it up

switch between incline treadmill walking and elliptical

and don't post the pics now if you don't want to.... but its gonna be a good thing for you to have when you look back next year at what you used to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.