MMA So today I start MMA , what to expect?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by onelove, Oct 11, 2006.

1. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

I've been a follower of MMA for quite some time, been to a few events and always enjoyed watching it . Working a 9-5 has taken a toll on me and I decided it was time to get back in shape. There is a school 5 minutes from my house that has great a good beginers program that I plan on checking out, what should I be prepared for as a beginer ?

2. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

what's the name of the school?

3. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

Knockout Fitness / American Top Team school, Seth Petruzelli and Paul Rodriguez run the place. Right across from UCF.

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Just be respectful, leave the ego at the door, and be willing to learn and to have fun.

5. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

That's my plan, I'm going in there to have fun and get in shape and learn some technique so I Can better appriciate the sport. I don't plan on trying out for tough, nor do I plan on becoming a bouncer, just want to have fun. A few guys at the office are going to give it a try as well so that should make it interesting.

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Don't be like this guy. (link)

Go in with no ego, no preconceived notions, no thinking you're the next Chuck Liddell. Be prepared to work hard and be sore. Expect bruising. Expect to be completely clueless your first few classes.

Have fun!

7. Titus

Titus New Member

my buddy trains muay thai there, they're a good school.

8. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

I'm just doing this for fun as a "Sport" to keep me busy. Taking 2 clases a Muay Thai and begininer MMA / Sub grapling with No Gi. See how I like it and take it from there, I expect to be soar for sure and get bruised up. Off to my first night now, I'll post results as I go.

9. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

Just got home. Class was a lot of fun, we had 8-10 guys 2-3 where there for the first or second time, the rest where beginners with the basics already down. The instructor took his time laying down some of the fundementals with us 1st timers and lots of live drilling to enforce it. I'm sore, had some ring rash, and feel greatly out of shape but I had a great time and will be continuing. I decided at the end of the night to focus on the submission grapling right now and get back in shape over the next few months before adding the 2nd kickboxing class. This should allow me to focus on getting the basics down and work on my conditioning as I go. It was definately a blast.

One curious thing I wonder, outside of the gym what sort of workout routines do you do and how do you eat? I'm 158 right now at 5'11 and while I could use some more mass I'd rather be fit. Should I begin a training and diet to work with MMA to help get my conditioning up to speed?

10. Zoso

Zoso OT Supporter

certainly be eating well and if you have time, lift. i used to go hit the weights right after my muay thai classes
    for the first few weeks, i wouldn't stress about it too much, just keep practicing your footwork and basics. it takes a while for it to click. also, be sure to time workouts right- its not fun showing up to class already sore from lifting weights, let alone you're gonna be sore from your previous class. just don't overdo it until you get a feel for what is going to be demanded on your body. drink protein shakes after your workouts, too.