So, to convince you all that you need quicksilver...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by _Trev_, Apr 5, 2007.

1. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

I've noticed that a lot of the people here don't know or haven't taken the time to use quicksilver. I personally think it's one of the most useful programs on my computer. Granted that spotlight handles a lot of what quicksilver seems to do, there are some more advanced functions that should be made more obvious. I was going to put together a little tutorial until I stumbled across these pages. I think it's well worth your time to check them out :wiggle:

http://lifehacker.com/software/quicksilver/hack-attack-a-beginners-guide-to-quicksilver-247129.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/quic...-slashes-appends-and-proxies-oh-my-249085.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/quic...ation--the-quicksilver-comma-trick-241685.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/quicksilver/quicksilver-menubar-access-211906.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/quicksilver/set-quick-timed-reminders-with-quicksilver-205244.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/quicksilver/video-demonstration--quicksilver-proxies-243710.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/quicksilver/mimic-windows-create-new-file-with-quicksilver-247149.php

2. _Trev_

I figured you wouldn't be too into this, just going by how you seem to use things. Not saying that's a bad thing, everyone does things differently. :wavey:

3. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

4. _Trev_

5. TheManLouisianaFace

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

i cant stand all that quicksilver shit. too difficult.

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I need to watch those when I have a few minutes..

I've installed, but its disabled. I don't see the point yet.

8. Tvan

Tvan New Member

In for best app ever.

9. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I've said it once before... Quick Silver was the shit pre-Spotlight, now with spotlight + finder I don't need quicksilver. And I'm not in the habit of just replacing all of my mac apps just because...

I use finder, safari, mail, preview, text edit, calculator, iphoto, terminal, dashboard (now that I can put my widgets on my desktop), and a few others.

I did have to install PS3, Logitech Harmony Remote software, and VLC (because it plays anything and everything).

10. Mach D

Mach D New Member

so forgive me for being a newb, but what would be the downside of adding quicksilver to this in addition to Spotlight and Finder? I'm very new to using it but there are things i find so much easier with it that I guess I cant figure out how to do without it. Especially for my work, being able to search for a file i just finished and emailing it to an associate with a few keystrokes is a lot faster then looking for it and clicking and dragging and all that bs.

What am I missing? Is there any disadvantage to having all of them?

11. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

There is no disadvantage to having any, all, or none of them. It's personal preference.

For someone like me, I don't install it because I like minimalistic over saturated, and I like organization over chaos.

If I just "finished a file", that would mean I have saved it to an appropriate location that makes sense for the type of file it is. Example: Spreadsheet of parts to order for customer x would go in HDD > Customers > X > parts.xls, or something like that.

Then I would open mail.app and create new, type up the e-mail, and click 'attach'. Within seconds I would have the file located, attached and the e-mail sent. No hassel. And no extra application to download, launch, maintain, learn, etc...

So where in all of that did I need an application to streamline my process? Is the possibility of saving 0.7 seconds for that task worth installing yet another application?

12. Mach D

Mach D New Member

ok then, thanks for the answer. since i use my macbook for productivity, every little bit helps. i do find that it is far faster then .7 seconds, i save a lot of time. ultimately since i do it so much, everything that i shave off means thats more i can do.

13. slfmade

slfmade New Member

ive used quicksilver before, i agree thats its an amazing application but like LOLZILLA its just not for me, i guess i dont multi task enough to use it really

14. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

This is LOLZILLA's desktop on any given sunday
    [​IMG]

15. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

16. TheManLouisianaFace

You're an idiot. Quicsilver can do more than spotlight ever will. Don't blame the app if you can't comprehend its power.

17. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Both are pretty effective.

18. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

does anyone other than me still use launchbar? :hs:

19. violator

violator New Member

answer me this...

what can i do exlusively in quicksilver that i otherwise wouldn't be able to do using only a keyboard (no mouse)?

20. _Trev_

it's not exactly about what you can or can't do, it's more about how much faster it is than other methods.

21. Mach D

Mach D New Member

unless im a newb, which is very possible so stay with me, i havent figured out how to assign a shortcut to play/pause or advance a song in itunes without having it opened. but i have a feeling im just a newb.

also as i've mentioned i can attach files directly to the person i want to email making the whole process faster.

22. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

i love quicksilver but for some reason, it slows my machine down after about a day or two like you wouldn't believe...and i don't think it should really be that taxing on a dual 2 GHz G5 :(

23. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

reading comprehension > you