MMA So this weekend is my first "greco-roman" judo tournament.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Joe_Cool, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Saturday is my first time officially having to deal with the new judo rules.

We had the tournament director come in to explain all that, and it turns out it's even worse than I had previously thought. Not only is it illegal to use your hands below the belt AT ALL on the initial attack, but it's illegal to use your hands to block or defend or counter your opponent's attack below the belt. On a tomoe nage, for example:

[y]XZPpeVzTt-E[/y]

When the guy puts his foot on your stomach to prepare for the throw, you're not allowed to use your hand to push the foot away. :rofl:

On a seoi nage:

[y]wJvVbj6XkmU[/y]

you're not allowed to put your hand on the guy's hip to block him. etc.

The fun just never ends!

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

just start wrestling and drop this Judo stuff, it's the same shit but way more useful.

3. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Having wrestled for years and coached wrestling for years, and now being part of Judo, I must say the rule change is not as bad as it is being made out to be. It actually increases the opportunities for throws, which is what Judo is about.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

makes the throw seem pretty cheap if you aren't allowed to defend properly against it, i'm not a judo guy but it seems like it's a silly rule change :dunno:

5. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

It is a ridiculous rule change. But, it doesn't spell the end of the sport or anything. Rules are rules, it was put into effect to increase the opportunity for throws. If people can't handle it, they should move on to bjj or something else.

6. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

Judo is a martial art, it's supposed to teach you how to do well in self defense situations/fights, not to be better at a sport.

7. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Currently, Judo is a sport. I agree that it is a martial art as much as bjj is a martial art. There are rules for bjj tournaments, and those rules will eventually be tweaked. As long as Judo is a sport and is treated like a sport, then I will look at it as such. Wrestling is also a sport, should I look at wrestling as a way to do better in self defense situations?

8. Joe_Cool

I think the sport aspect is what has made it an effective martial art. Because, like boxing and wrestling, you get to train like you would really fight, with full speed, full power, full execution.

That's part of the reason I'm so down about this rule change. Schools are going to stop teaching the banned techniques, and judo the martial art is going to get weaker. IMO.

9. Joe_Cool

Haven't you always?

10. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

No. Never, in fact. But, I was raised in a household where wrestling was part of our everyday life. So, I see it as a sport that I have always been a part of.

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Hop[e it goes better than your first freestyle wrestling tournament

[​IMG]

12. Joe_Cool

:rofl:

All those kids would probably kick my ass in wrestling. :o

13. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

We were raised differently. Sure, I have used wrestling to get out of (or into) situations on many occasions, but it doesn't change the fact that, for me, wrestling is a sport. It was beat into my head for as long as I can remember, that it is a sport.

I have never been taught a wrestling technique that was aimed at defending myself in a real life situation. Every technique I have ever been taught has been taught from the standpoint of learning a sport. I never had a coach say, "If someone tries to punch you, you need to do this," and then teach me. Never happened in wrestling, hasn't happened in Judo.

14. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I think this is going to make Judokas a lot more aggressive. This has been discussed a lot with the black belts at our club, and we think that stalling is going to be reduced which is a good thing.

However we are still going to teach the defense at our club, and I am fairly certain every club is going to teach the defense to these throws, we will just not use them in tournaments.

Finally Judo is a Martial art and a Sport. Proper Judo is an amazing thing to partake in, however as the sport of judo is constantly evolving. But I believe that the changes in the sport will still detract nothing from the original essence of the martial art that is judo.

15. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Where do you coach wrestling at?

16. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Have coached at 3 different schools here in Albuquerque. I had to take this year off due to an ACL replacement.

17. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I think every sport has their stupid rule changes, but sometimes it's for the better. I agree that these ones are kinda dumb, but instead of adapting their art to another they want to keep it pure which I get. It's Japan and those fuckers have some pride issues, even their moneys have bloodlne issues.

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

thats why no school teaches kani basami, your supposed to know the scissor body take down and the scissor leg take down and its part of the curriculum but no one teaches it because you cant use it in competition

19. Joe_Cool

Exactly. One of my training partners and I were experimenting with it, and the instructor made us stop.

20. kroneX

kroneX New Member

You learn the throw in privates from other black belts. Id be suprised to find a good black belt who didn't know it. Its a brilliant take down, but illegal for good reason.

21. Joe_Cool

Son of a bitch. I've been trying to sleep for 3 hours. Weigh-ins are in 7 hours, tournament starts in 8, and I'm wide awake.

:mad:

22. Kuet

Kuet New Member

you subtle brag way too much.

Hey broskis- 2 heinekeins.

23. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

good luck joe!

24. Joe_Cool

:Owned:

I had three matches and lost all three. One of them, I SHOULD have had, but lost because I made a dumb mistake.

Oh well. I'm not happy with my performance, but it was a good experience anyway. It really exposed what I need to work on.

25. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Meh, Joe looked better than he is letting on. Looked like a guy that has been in the sport for about 9 months....oh wait.