So this is going to be my wtfleopard thread. some questions v.latetotheparty

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jackjohnson, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

I just got my copy installed on my work computer. I'll try to refrain from making a lot of comments as I get used to it.

First and foremost it looks awesome... for the most part. Everything looks nice and polished. Glad to see the brushed metal is dead. I love the little details ie: the way inactive windows look; the close, expand, minimize buttons; new folder icon; drop down menus w/ rounded corners now - everything looks nice and is refreshing since I spend a buttload of time staring at osx.

New features:

Spaces- Very usefull but kind of confusing when you have dual monitors as well :o but it must be awesome for single monitor users. The only quirk that's been bothering me is it seems like some programs should automatically be global like finder, sys pref, file transfers, etc. It's a waste of time to be dragging such items to other spaces.

New Space docking- the dock is the biggest let down for me. It looks cool but the floating glossy design just doesn't work for users who prefer it to be on the left or right instead of the bottom. You lose the cool look and fanning for stacks if you orient the dock to the side.

Is there anyway to put dock on the bottom of the 2nd monitor instead???

Stacks- Most dissapointing feature ever. I thought it would stack currently opened documents above their respective programs as well? I could have sworn I've seen OTers do this in their screenshots. I must be missing something.

finder- Ugh, I'm glad I primarily use adobe bridge for file browsting. I hate cover flow. Although quick look is a nice feature.

time machine- fucking rad. I'm hoping for a catostrophic failure so I can gently float in space and recover some files in a meditative state.

Overall, I don't think I'm buying a copy for home. And only because I doubt my G4 will run it well. I also have another license I'm supposed to install on a G4 we have in my office but I don't think it could handle it either.

Anybody running leopard on a slow machine?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

see above

3. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

browsting?

Did you mean: browsing

4. jackjohnson

1. I know that but for some reason I can't find finder.app anywhere :hs: any ideas? I just figured you couldn't assign finder.

2. hmm I guess I could just switch the arrangement even though it would be weird to have the bar on the right hand side. I'll try it out

3. Say I have 5 illustrator files open, I was under the impression that if I went to the dock it would stack all 5 of those over illustrator? I remember loudsystem posting up a screenshot like this... I guess I was seeing things :o

4. I'll check it out

5. hmmm I'll check it out.

also, I'm downloading the updates to leopard. I guess the install didn't include that.

5. jackjohnson

ok finished updating. after some more usuage I'm starting to really love it.

after the update I was able to add finder to spaces thank god.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

1. http://www.zaphu.com/2007/11/07/leopard-tip-show-the-finder-on-all-spaces/

3. maybe he had a folder stack with the illustrator icon...and those were his current projects :dunno:

7. jackjohnson

yeah I found finder after the update :bigthumb: life is easier now. spaces is fucking awesome.

Yeah I gave up on stacks. I actually like them now after I gave up the notion of what I thought they were going to be.

overall I'm very happy. and hopefully leopard also fixes a glitch I've been having where the OS locks up and I need to hard restart. It happened at least twice a day with tiger. I'll have to see if leopard fixes it :x:

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Id take both tiger and xp over vista

9. jackjohnson

word

10. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

talking out of your ass

11. jackjohnson

can you use multipl back up disks with time machine? or just one