SRS So this chick i'm seeing is afraid of toilets...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Matt2000ss, May 26, 2007.

1. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

She isnt afraid of the toilet itself, but the water. Not germs or anything, just the fear that it will overflow. She told me that she was using my shitter the other day and it looked like it would overflow.. She said that her heart started beating real hard and she ran out of the bathroom. She even said that onetime at a friend's house she didnt use the bathroom because they had woodfloors and if it overflowed, it would damage the wood.

She just told me this.

Anyone ever heard of this?

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Sounds like an odd quirk... but then again, everyone has odd quirks....

3. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Could be something close to OCD or panic disorder. OCD comes in many forms. I've been in therapy for it for about 2 years. The situation in which she avoided using her friend's toilet because of the woodfloors sounds very much like an OCD fear. "Oh my god, I can't use the toilet, she has wood floors, if the toilet overflows, the wood floors will be damaged and I will be humiliated." Any rational person could see that is ridiculous...sure, it's a remote possibility, but the chances of it happening are very slim, especially if you're careful. That doesn't mean shit to someone with OCD.

Honestly, it really depends on how much of an impact this has on her life. If it's constant, ever present, and is the source of a lot of stress/anxiety, then there's a good chance it's a form of OCD. Only a professional can give that diagnosis.

One thing I will tell you in advance: rationality and logic does not work with OCD. It can be frustrating for you to deal with her being that way, just try your best not to get overly upset with her over it. Don't reinforce her fear but don't try to work it out logically. People with OCD can believe they have HIV even after multiple negative tests. That says it all.

4. lycorisdew

lycorisdew New Member

i don't know if i'd go so far as to call it ocd. i think it's just a phobia. aren't most of us afraid of shark attacks or plane crashes yet the chances of that happening to any one of us is incredibly low (much lower than a toilet overflowing i think...)

that said, the thought of the toilet possibly overflowing does come to mind once in a while after shitting..it doesn't seem incredibly abnormal to me.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Going along with that it sounds like a phobia, she probably has a messed up child memory that has given her an irrational fear of water from the toilet, maby she's fallen into one when she was a child.

Phobias are notorious for their irrational nature, im not lying when i say there was a very large strong guy who was absolutely terrified of 'beans' (yep those who you buy in a can) he couldn't even touch the thing and barely look at it. During his childhood he saw a horror movie with a dead guy lying in a tub filled with beans, ever since then.. well to make a long story short, he went to a phobia clinic and learned how to deal with his fears. It might be a good suggestion for her to do the same. I wouldn't reject her simply for being scared of something, but i can tell you as a warning beforehand that its something that can take over her life and can seriously effect you too.

6. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

If this stops her from going regularly then it could be a problem. If she's just thinking it and can normally go anyways, then not so much.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Urban legend. Phobias do NOT come from messed up child hood memorys.

I have arachnaphobia, I have no such messed up child hood memories.

You know what else is an urban legend (I just learned this this weekend) - you are not gonna believe me - OIL DOESN'T COME FROM ROTTING DINOSAURS!!!!

I had no idea. None at all. It comes from rotting vegetation matter.

The guy I heard explain it DID say that coal is often found along side fossils, but he claimed that the dinosaur thing comes from back in the 60's when a gas company came up with it as an advertising gimmick, something like 'put a dinosaur in your tank!'.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Wherever they come from, phobias are definately irrational. I am absolutely terrified of bees. If there's a bee in a room, I cannot be in that room. I'm not kidding. If I see one, my heart starts racing, I start sweating, I basically have a panic attack. I usually leave my car windows up because I guarantee you that if a bee flew in my when I was driving I would crash. (Plus, I prefer A/C over open windows, anyway, because 80-90 degree wind doesn't cool you down, is loud, and messes up your hair)

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

just remember, no matter how ridiculous it is to you, it is real to her.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

its not an urband legend, as i described the people who had the phobia of beans had this because of a bad childhood memory, phobias aren't always related to childhood bad experiences, but if a trauma occurs at young age, then a phobia can settle in quite easily.

11. childofbean

childofbean Green Member

I had a childhood friend with the exact same fear. She eventually got over it, though.

12. AllSeeingPie

AllSeeingPie New Member

Sounds like a phobia to me not OCD - I think busydoingnothing's advice is best for this she should go to a clinic

13. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

She probably went to the restroom one night and didn't check if the tollet seat was down and she fell in. LOL! This is a weird one but she could be a keeper.

14. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

ya, so far it hasnt been an issue for us. But my apartment toilet floods more then it flushes, so i guess she just needs to go b4 coming over or go outside.

Thanks for the responses.

Oh, and Falconer, thats not so crazy about your car window. My old VP was driving with the window down and a bee flew into his Dr Pepper. He didnt know this and when he drank it, the bee stung his tongue.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

16. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

:wavey: fear of bees crew. I got stung in the lip when I was 3 and my face swelled up like a basketball. I don't remember that part but I remember seeing a bee in front my face then my mouth hurting really bad a minute later. That was enough for me.

17. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: Yet another member of that club; I turn and run if a bee gets anywhere near me.

I've only been stung once in my life and got lucky the sack didn't burst or put any fluid in me, but the doctor told me that with some of my other allergies, it was a fairly safe bet I'm allergic to bees, too.

18. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I have to join this one too. If I get stung I'm dead. Should carry the little pen that slows down my death process a bit if I get stung but I don't know where it is!

19. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Maybe we should start OT's Official Fear of Bees Crew :mamoru: Falconer can be #1 :)