So there is a Nvidia problem....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I just read a Slashdot article...
    http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/08/29/151227.shtml
    Saying that Nvidia has some sort of bad part fiasco.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/28/nvidia-55nm-parts-bad

Truth be told, I am having a lot of trouble understanding this.
    Apparently Nvidia is moving some piece of there manufacturing process from a high lead content to something without lead.
    That I understand. Probably solder, but what do I know?

What is confusing me is they are talking about a high failure rate for Nvidia cards as a result of this....

Anyone here know anything about this?
    Anyone have there card fail?
    I have a high end Nvidia card! Should I be panicking? How about pancaking? I could pancake instead....

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i've been hearing about this for awhile now. the supposed bad cards are any of the 8 series besides the 8800 from what i heard.

supposedly they just have a higher rate of failure due to overheating, and from what i heard nvidia released newer drivers that make the fan kick in earlier.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

First, I have to consider the source.
    Slashdot is just a repository for every damned rumor that comes around. Just cause something is on Slashdot doesn't make it true.
    That 'The Inquirer' site....
    I know a lot of people have a lot of trouble with that site. I can't really point out any faults, but I know that for a lot of people that site is just a hair above reporting rumors as well.

When I read the article, well first off I don't understand a lot of it.
    But what I get out of it is that Nvidia swapped some lead based product for a non-lead based product.
    Big whoopie do.
    I know that to sell things in the EU you pretty much have to have a lead free product. There is a ton of pressure on the electronics industry to get away from lead based solder.
    You come to me waiving a paper in my face saying 'SEEEE!!!! Nvidia is changing to a non-lead based product!' I will just look at you like, 'WTF?? get away from me you crazy person.'.

Then the article starts talking about these failures with Nvidia boards.
    To me it looks like they are trying to draw a parallel that isn't necessarily there.

To me it looks like there was a problem, Nvidia fixed it and now they are doing some part changes and someone is trying to make a big to do over nothing.

The point of my thread, is I am curious if anyone disagrees with my view and thinks there is a really big problem going on.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The problem is the new lead-free solder required by the RoHS agreement. It turns out when you combine tin and silver without lead, it has a tendency to spontaneously grow long, thin crystals for months afterwards, and those crystals can short contacts together if they're too close. Hmm, maybe that's why they put lead in the solder to begin with.

Anyway, it's not just nVidia, it's everyone who makes electronics. Be prepared to see this problem crop up for the next few years, until they figure out how to make lead-free solder that doesn't grow hair.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you know, if we could take this to Sy Sperling, maybe we can make some money off of this.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I have an Nvidia 7800 and the computer just reboots on its own all the time. No bluescreen, just bam. Usually its only after playing graphic intensive games for 10-20 minutes (although sometimes I can go for hours with no problem) but then sometimes it will reboot while looking at pictures or youtube videos.

Very annoying.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

My gut reaction:
    1. Overheating. Something is overheating. Not necessarily the video card either.

Take the computer outside and open it up. Take a can of air (you can buy it at staples) and blow all that crap that is inside your computer out of it. Especially important is that you get the dust that is inside the heat sinks. That dust really cuts down on the efficiency that the PC can air cool.

You wouldn't believe the difference this can make.

2. uninstall all the nvidia drivers and load in the latest drivers.
    Exactly as it sounds, there is even an uninstall option under programs. It is possible a video driver is corrupted and doing this might fix it.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I'm not worried, eVGA ftw.

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I clean the crap out of it constantly. Go through 2 cans each time I do it, it still pops up. The funny thing is nothing feels like its overheating right after it happends.

I'm definetley gonna try the new drivers.

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Then its not overheating.

Try the drivers. But bear in mind the problem you are describing can be caused by a bunch of things and the video card is only one of them.

Do you get a blue screen with a bunch of numbers?
    If so, write down the numbers and google them.

I have another suggestion.
    Power supply.

Here is what you do.
    Go to Best Buy (or Circuit City or wherever) and buy a nice power supply. Get the nicest one you feel comfortable paying for.
    Pay cash and save the reciept.

Go home and drop it in the tower.

I promise you that the only thing easier to replace in your PC then the memory is the power supply. It really is a piece of cake.

If the PC still acts up after droping in the power supply then return the new one and put the old one in. That is why I told you to pay cash, so it would be easier to do the return.

Yeah, I say power supply is the next likeliest culprit after over heating and video drivers.

11. ady

ady New Member

That's mostly because the articles are written in the style of a British tabloid which if you take at face value can devalue the content. They are a decent source of information. However this Nvidia issue is a little different and they may be going a little overboard as they have friction with Nvidia from past issues.

12. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

There are no numbers and no blue screen, just straight up reboot. Thx for the tips.

I'm actually kinda procrastinating getting it fixed because it keeps me from playing video games and I've been so much more productice since this started happening.

13. deusexaethera

No amount of cleaning can fix a bad solder joint. I wouldn't be surprised if you have one somewhere, if you've tried multiple versions of the drivers and it still craps out without obvious overheating.

14. deusexaethera

You have to go into Advanced System Properties and turn off "Automatically Restart" before you can see bluescreens in Windows XP.

15. deusexaethera

?