A&P So the pictures I took of my brother's house have drummed up some business

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

The real estate agent, who is a good friend of my mom, has been getting more calls since she put the pictures up than they did before.

Apparently the leader of the team she's on liked the pictures so much, he wants me to give them an estimate to take pictures of 45+ houses they have listed in the Austin area!!! :eek3:

I'd be willing to not charge for the drive up there, but charge them for the mileage to drive around to the houses... but does anyone know what a decent price would be to charge per house? Even if I lowball at $50 a house plus mileage, thats a good chunk of change for a weekend!

Thoughts?

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

$50 bucks? Jesus man, go for gold. That seems way to low. Don't cave on price just because you're anxious to have you work published and make a bit of money. Fuck real estate agents. I would tell them at least $100, for three photos and if they want more it's $25 per additional and YOU keep all the rights.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

$50? :rofl:

How long does it take you to shoot a house completely? How much do you need to make hourly in order for it to be worth it? What are other people in the area charging?

4. Girth

I'm not trying to go cheap because I want my work published... even thought thats a good incentive. I'd do it because the real estate agent is one of my mom's best friends. Anyone else, I'd charge more... and I agree w/ you on the rights and the limit on pictures. Don't want them going overboard on shit just because they want to sell a house. :o

My thoughts are this:

- charge $_______ per house for up to 8 pictures (which is how many I took for my brother).
    - additional pics at $______ per pic
    - mileage around the Austin area, starting from my parents house
    - I keep all the rights.

:dunno:

5. Girth

Thats what I'm trying to find out... I know nothing about taking pics of real estate property and its pricing. :dunno:

Took me less than 20 minutes to take the pictures at my brother's house.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  6. ericande

ericande Active Member

Even with 45 houses I wouldn't do it for $50 per house. I might be tempted to do it for $100 per house for 8 images plus $10 per additional image. If they are average sized houses most RE photographers would charge $125-$250 depending on how good they are. But 1) you could be giving them a bulk discount and 2) you're work isn't as good as the really good RE photographers (but after one house, what do you expect.) For high-end shoots, RE photographers will take at least 2 hours per house plus processing but if you aren't doing HDRs or using many flashes you can be in and out much quicker. Figure out how many hours it will take you, how much do you want to make, give them a quote.

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I'm sure mojito will chime in.. I know he does, or did, some real estate stuff...

8. Girth

Sounds like a great idea. It wouldn't be worth it at $50 a house if I was doing 10 or 20. I could do $50 per if its over 40ish, $100 per if its under 20, plus mileage.

I'm going to do a little more research when I get home too. And you're right, with little RE experience, I can't pull out the big guns yet.

9. Girth

I'm actually very interested in what he has to say. :bigthumb:

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

christ, i'd say $200/house ... add in that you'll "take care" of all of the post processing, editing, cropping, etc, and deliver them images that they can import right onto their website. Give them 12 or 15 pictures. You know it isn't going to take up any more time than doing half that number.

they'll eat it up.

seriously, definitely charge more than $50. i'd definitely go more than $100 too.

11. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Charge them more than 100 I say. These people sell houses and they are making $$$ dont let them take advantage of you and work for peanuts. You set the bar and have them eat our your hands.

12. Girth

If I honestly do this and buid a portfolio of just this, I'd go to every real estate agency in Houston and solicite that business... Then I can charge what I want and what's been suggested. I never expected things like this to come out of the blue since I was just helping my brother out. But if it works and it pays, why not?

And the reason I mentioned the price of $50 and up was so I could actually build that portfolio. Then I could start charging more like InterWorks mentioned. :o

13. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Congrats!

14. Girth

Thanks bro. I'll be a lot happier once they actually want me to do the job!!!

15. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

16. dano

dano OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Congrats man, it's awesome when things just happen like that.

17. redna

redna New Member

Didn't even read the thread but my real estate fees are $200 per house under 350K and $350 for houses over 350K. Reason being is that 350K+ houses generally take quite a bit more time and expect quite a bit more as far as quality goes... so they pay more too. Plus they have the budget.

This gets them a photo of every single room, plus some detail photos. I don't clean, but i will move shit off the fridge and counter, etc. but i make sure that the agents know that they house needs to be cleaned before hand, and staged (if applicable).

I'd also charge them for travel if it's going to be out of your way... with gas at 40000000000000000000000000/gallon you'll eat through all of your profit before you even get there.

Don't forget to educate them on the fact that:
    1. pro pics sell more homes
    2. There is a lot of back end work in post and they're not paying your fee for you to go snap some pictures, they're also paying for post time.

I'm in AZ, btw. so your prices may adjust a little bit depending on how bad your market is.... ours is miserable, so people are willing to spend money on things that WORK but not so much on things that are "new ideas".

Also, regarding rights, I retain copyright but allow agents to use them for any marketing of that specific home that they choose. (i.e. they can put them in home mags or online or in the MLS so long as they're advertising that house for sale, and not just their services). I have licensed pics to agents as stock as well... and generally it's really cheap because they've been paying customers.

An average house takes me about 2 hours to shoot... a house above 350K generally takes me about 3 hours to shoot, sometimes more.

If the home is within 25 miles of me I drive to it without additional charge, but over that I charge an extended mileage fee that varies.

I generally provide about 15 pictures to the agents... sometimes more, sometimes less. I prefer to charge a flat fee and give them what i get rather than a per image type of deal because I'm already there shooting the home so taking a few more pics isn't much trouble and most times, it benefits me because I would have made less shooting a per image fee because agents are cheap and opt for the min photos.... meanwhile I still have to drive out there and do the same amount of work.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  18. Girth

:bowdown:

Great info, thanks!!!

I sent a proposal to the with prices ranging from $70-100 per house which gets them 10 pictures (they generally use 8 pics max.). I also said that I retain the rights to the pictures to use for my business. I also clustered the houses with the lower amounts slightly higher in price since I have to travel to Austin.

The AZ market does suck, I have a house in the queen creek area I'm renting out. I'm lucky enough that my tenant just resigned her lease for another year. The Austin market isn't that bad at all. My moms house sold a few months ago and it was only on the market for 45 or so days.

19. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Look up GSA rate for mileage in your area. GSA rate accounts for wear/tear & gas mileage for your car and used by the government and its contractors.

Assumnig you know where these houses are and you know the approximate mileage you would have to travel to get there and back, do the appropriate multiplication. And there's your mileage fee right there. :wiggle:

20. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

sounds like a pretty good gig. How much time do you expect it'll take you to do all that shit? Are you going to have to try and cram it in all over one weekend?

21. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

22. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." Don't sell yourself short!

While it's not always true, people tend to think of more expensive things as "better." You just have to live up to it and provide "better."

23. Girth

Austin is not a very big city at all. Depending on where the houses are and they don't want anything too detailed, I'm sure I can knock out a bunch in a weekend if I start early enough. Doubt I could do 40, but it all depends on how long it takes me per house to take pics. The PP stuff can be done at home in a few hours. Sharpen -> adjust colors -> contrast -> sort and put on a CD.

I haven't heard back from them yet, but if that doesn't work out, I'll start hitting up the realtors here in Houston. I wouldn't mind getting a few hundred a week just taking pictures.

24. Girth

Ya, but what about building a portfolio that I don't have in that field? Getting my foot in the door in Austin, charging more in Houston once I have it.

The only thing I have right now is the pictures of my brother's house. Talent is never cheap, but you have to show your talent to be able to charge for it.

25. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

get your tall ass up here and take pics of my fucking house. it's going on the market next week.

:fawk: