MIL So the Navy Nuke program..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Godspeed, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Is it really that bad? From what I've read here, it's pretty sucky. But I'm considering going the nuke officer route for a few reasons. Here's the cliffs on my situation:

Went to Quantico for Marine Corps OCS. Got hurt. Sent home. Told I could come back. Decided to finish school and take a whack at a civilian career. At this time, I don't like it. Want to try military again but wanted to explore other options before going the Marine route again. I thought the Nuke route would be an interesting challenge that would be valuable in the civilian world once I serve my time and get out.

/cliffs

A little side note: I've been kicking around the idea of going back to school for another degree. I just graduated with my first one (Dec. 2008 - I'm 24) and I feel like it's worth shite. It's a dumb Business Admin degree. But i applied and got accepted into a better school in my state to pursue a Chemistry degree which, I think, would be more worthwhile and substantial than the degree I have now. I graduated with my 1st degree without any school debt and that's the big hangup for me going back to school. I just don't want the student loans hanging over me. I know the navy has funding for students going nuke that pays for their school so if I got on board with that, it'd be a big win-win.

So questions are:

What's the navy nuke program like for officers?
    How are things for nukers after the military once they get out?
    Would I qualify for any sort of school funding from the navy? (I know I will need to talk to a recruiter but I'm just getting a 1st impression here.)

2. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Nearly all of my cohorts who are ex-Navy were enlisted, and they said I dodged a bullet when I pulled out of my app process into being a Navy nuke officer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

Don't be a fucking nuke. People commit suicide in that program

4. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Thats like the 3rd time I've heard that on two different forums... Must be something to it lol

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Some kid hung himself right after we got underway a few years back. He was a nuke.

6. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

why is navy nuke officer so bad?

7. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

people commit suicide at every university in the country :greddy:

8. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

Most nuke officers are already engineers i believe. My dad was a nuke (enlisted) and after he got out it jump started his career. he is now a shift manager of a nuclear plant (pretty much 2nd in charge under the plant manager). Of course this was done with a lot of hard work and climbing the ladder. He loved his time in the navy

9. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Some answers from a nuke myself.

I can only speak from a subs standpoint, but every officer I work with is a Nuke Officer, and I work fairly closely with quite a few of them. Most of them hate it. You work long hours for someone who treats you like a peon (he is called the Engineering Officer, or ENG for short). I've seen quite a few Eng's in my time, and have seen very few who treated their officers like real people. Every accomplishment you make will be because of his superior leadership, and every failure will be solely due to your own incompetence. And by long hours I mean sometimes you don't get to go home, and sometimes you have so little time off that going home just isn't worth it. I've worked 100+ hour weeks for over a month, and I know the officers were there before I was and left after I did.
    This is where the big payoff is. Most every company in the world recognizes the importance the Navy puts into training for its Nukes, the extremely high work ethic that we're held to, and the ability of a Nuke to go all MacGuyver and shit with Nuclear Grade Duct Tape some poly bags and lockwire.
    I believe so. I think it is called the CASH program, but not sure if it is the same for officers as it is for enlisted.

In a nutshell - If you need to, going Nuke Officer would be great to build up your resume, but it comes at a price. I'd almost say that going Nuke enlisted would be better, and then you can use your Post-9/11 GI Bill after you get out of the Navy if you still want a degree. Turns out though, that many places hire ex-Navy Nuke Enlisted for up to 80K/yr starting with no college degree.

10. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Thanks for the response, Zourn. Just what I was looking for. Do you know what kind of things officers, that were around when you started but have since left and moved on, what they are doing now workwise?

11. Zourn

Off the top of my head I can't really recall. I think one of them is a shift engineer at a nuke plant, the others I'm not sure.

12. Zourn

13. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

You can drop out of college

You can't drop out of being a nuke

14. Zourn

Or cross-rate out of Nuke, or even do a fucking IA tour just to go play pretend military.

15. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Agent of Entropy

You could be like the clown on my boat that made it through Power School and prototype, then decided he was an idiot and couldn't qualify once he got to the boat. They sent him to the Tender in Italy.

As far as I could tell, there wasn't much difference between officers and enlisted except we got dirty and they had to deal with the CO, XO, and ENG. Honestly, I'd rather field day the entire engine room than deal with those clowns.

On thing to remember if you do go Nuke: Respect the blueshirt, and worship the SNOB.

16. Zourn

:werd:
    and attention to details :fawk:

17. PromptCritical

Details schmetails...

Hint, Remember that sound-powered phone earpieces can also be used like microphones, so don't do that Beavis and Butthead "Fire fire yeah fire!" bit during the Maneuvering Watch.

Me as EO: "Control, Maneuvering, Request permission to shutdown the flux capacitor for maintenance."
    COW U/I: Request to shut down the flux capacitor for maintenance, Maneuvering, Control, aye."
    EOOW's Phone: "Whoop, whoop!"

18. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

My buddy is wanting to go into the military and I told him about how I was researching the Nuke program and how he should look into it (I left out the suicide bit). He liked the idea and he went to see a recruiter about it. He was wanting to sign a contract and get shipped ASAP but the recruiter told him it would take about 8-10 months before they would sign him up. And my buddy acted all surprised and was bitching to me about how he didn't understand why it would take so long. I told him "Listen, you're going into the Navy NUCLEAR program. They aren't just going to sign you up, put you on a boat, and let you start swinging a hammer at what is essentially a contained atomic bomb. They want to make sure you're not some crazy psycho." I don't think he saw where I was coming from. He's a smart guy but he's a bit naive.

19. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You Navy morons keep calling it NUCLEAR...

Everyone knows it is NU-CU-LAR.

20. Zourn

New goal for next underway.

21. PromptCritical

One of the first things you learn in school is that there is a huge difference between a reactor and a bomb. It is physically impossible to get a reactor to detonate like a warhead. The worst you can do is blow the vessel apart, ejecting highly radioactive shit into the reactor compartment and melt the core into a bunch of slag that will take centuries to return to safe levels. Neither of which will wipe out a city.

Chernobyl was the worst accident in history and is about as bad as an accident can possibly get. Not to big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.