GUN So the M44 is totally disassembled, all the metal is cleaned and oiled..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blindarrow, Sep 21, 2007.

1. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

But I got owned on the stock. The dishwasher at the place I'm living at now is too small to accomodate it. :wtc:

Luckily, I know where a steamer is.. so tomorrow I'm going to bust that out and steam the whole stock down to get her ready for the sanding block, and then the new finish.

If the steamer doesn't work.. we're off to get some oven cleaner. :noes:

I'll get pics of the stock now, and try to keep the pics going for the whole process.. the new finish going on it is Bombay Mahogany Satin by Minwax.. it's a combination Satin stain + Polyurethane coating, so no two-stepping on that process.. just stain on as many coats as desired, lightly scrubbing with steel wool in between & at the end.

Wish me luck.. and pics soon. :wiggle:

2. el capitan

el capitan New Member

can't wait to see it.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Still too small after taking out the racks? I fit a fullsize Enfield in my old apartments dishwasher..

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

You know, I refurbed a 91/30, it looked BEAUTIFUL after, and I regretted it about a month later.

It lacked the character it had before. I know they are a dime a dozen, but think carefully about it.

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I had been going back and forth on redoing my m44 but after having several people compliment it for being in such good shape I finally just picked up some mineral spirits to smooth the finish out and shine it up a bit. I think it looks great with the old shellac and a couple dings in it.

6. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I've thought it over alot, to be quite honest.. just because of reasons like this.

In the end though, it's a (relatively) dirt cheap gun, so I won't have too many qualms about it.

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

for my mosin I just used the paint thinner method, worked almost perfectly (still get a tiny bit of bleed on front parts of the hardguards when it really gets hot)

8. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Here we go..

Getting ready to start..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First coat..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And second coat..
    [​IMG]

So far so good. I forgot to get pics from between coats. It's doing great though.. once this second coat comes off, it'll hang to dry overnight, and then tomorrow it will be sanded in preparation for the new finish.

Once the cosmoline was all out, it was absolutely gorgeous underneath.. but alas, I don't make the rules, and the old finish has to go too.

The new stuff should be around the same color though, so it'll be alright. :wiggle:

9. Buzz Killington

What are you going to do with the wood?

Are you going to leave it with "character" and apply a new finish or sand/steel wool/etc to get the wood smooth?

My 91/30 was smooth as a babies bottom after I got done with it. My SKS that I just did I left alone, just sanded lightly to open up the wood for the BLO.

10. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Gonna have to sand it.. the downside of the oven cleaner method is that you have to hose the wood off, so the wood gets "hairy," for lack of a better term.

It won't be a heavy sanding though.. just enough to smooth it back out and get it ready for the new finish.

11. Buzz Killington

That's just with cheap soft wood like the commies used :o My SKS didn't do that. Do you have any acceptance/inspector marks? If so it's worth saving 'em.

12. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Not in the wood itself.. I checked it all over to be sure.

13. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Moar updates! :noes:

I hung the stock up to dry last night after it received 2 runs with the oven cleaner (1 full can of Easy Off from Ace Hardware).. this morning, we are greeted with this sight:

[​IMG]

Completely stripped! Looks great too.. wood is very nice on this one.

One of the only stains left, and it's not too bad..

[​IMG]

The wood, as mentioned before, tended to become "hairy" during the stripping process.. since I have no major stains or blemishes, and I'm really just looking to smooth the wood out, I went with a fine grit sandpaper, and began sanding (no pics of it.. it's kinda boring).

Then, after sanding was completed and the dust blown away, we were ready to stain again.. which I'll admit, I didn't get progress pictures of. :hs: I had on latex gloves and was playing with wood finish, and I didn't want to get it on my camera.

However, after the first coat, we have this now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, this is even close to the original finish and all.. great pick. It's now hanging back up to dry, as illustrated.. tomorrow she'll receive the 2nd coat, and dry overnight like this time.. and then we'll be ready to run over it with some fine steel wool one last time, and go back to re-assembly.

Oh, I also left out the test fitting I did to make sure that the water and all that wouldn't make the wood swell too much or anything.. it's just fine. If anything, it fits a little more snug than before.. +1 for accuracy. :coold:

Once it's back together, I'll check headspacing and all again, test fire her, and then we'll most likely be ordering the following for it..

Muzzle brake: http://www.shootersexchange.com/detail.cfm?recordID=59403

Front bipod: http://www.shootersexchange.com/detail.cfm?recordID=59399

Extended Eye Relief Scope + Mount: http://www.shootersexchange.com/detail.cfm?recordID=60619

Say what you will about any of it, but I'm wanting the gun to look good, and also do mostly long-range shooting with it.

Well, the muzzle brake is there just to add WTF factor.. but still.