GUN So the lenghty process begins...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by joed1228, Apr 15, 2009.

1. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

I am going through the process to purchase a handgun in MA. I spoke to the police LT in my town and he said I would be obtaining a Class A LTC. I cannot carry the pistol with me in the street but if I am going to the range I can wear it/store it in the arm rest. I am unclear if the pistol can hold 9 or less rounds or more than 9, I am guessing 9 or less.

This is the process:

Provide original birth cert
    Take a MA/NRA approved safety course
    Provide proof of residency (copy of mortgage)
    Provide one tax bill for the year of 2009
    Provide two utility bills
    Two letters of reference (and they will be contacted), not family.
    Letter of justification (written by me)
    100.00 fee
    Wait 4-6 weeks for answer and I may be turned down for "suspicion".

So lenghty. Oh well, I am looking forward to the safety course for obvious reasons but the rest....ugh

There was a range where you could rent guns in NH for a few bucks, they had 40+ pistols. It was my idea to see what I like but their prices went sky high and after trying a few guns I would of already just about bought one. Wish I could try a few because I'm not sure what I will like.

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

wow. that's pretty fucking gay

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Wow, that sucks.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

9 or less? wtf so are you limited to 1911s and single stack guns?

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

is this the whole state of MA, or are you an exception?

6. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

It is the entire state of MA. There are alot of banned models (not brands) as well, you need to buy an approved gun. For example any Glock built before a specific date (without the safety features) is completly banned which BAFFLES me. If I take a MA/NRA safety course I cant own a gun that just has a simple safety? So I'm basically not trusted even after the course so why am I even allowed to own a gun. You can buy whichever model the state will allow but your not supposed to use a magazine that will hold more than 10 rounds (excuse me, it wasnt 9).

I have been reading more and more and Class B seems like it is 10 or less, with the Class A the police LT said I would get it is considered a "high capacity weapon" and your weapon may carry more than 10.

Sorry about the confusion but since the LT seemed very strict and he can turn me down for any reason based of his "feeling" I didnt think it was proper to ask "can I carry alot of rounds?" before even providing the proper documentation.

The laws are very strict and I think they are lame to a point. Check my information and run a backround check. So many people who should be in jail are running around with guns. I'm not say it's proper justification to give anyone a gun but within reason if the person checks out just let them buy one. What are they doing, protecting the gang bangers from me; Joe the telephone repairman?

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

jesus, and I've thought of moving out of WI due to lack of CCW. I'd be OUT of MA in a fucking heartbeat. that's insane :rofl:

8. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Sell your house, move to a state with a lower cost of living, buy a house, handgun, and NFA toys with all of the equity in your mortgage.

MA is fucking gay

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

10 rounds makes more sense, thats the lowest i've seen a state have a restriction on.

and its quite ironic because there are a shitload of firearms manufactures located in MA

10. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Guns you CANNOT buy in MA:
    http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

Gun Laws:
    http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm

You can carry with the A license:

11. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Lots of gun manufacturers in CT too, but we still have an AWB. Permit required to purchase a handgun, but it doubles as a CCW. Process was actually pretty simple except for the local PD dragging their feet on the CLEO signoff. Oh, and we can have the evil "high-cap" mags without permit.

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

And it is 10 rounds

13. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Springfield for example is from MA.

I have no equity in my condo, I live in MA, property was way inflated now it's down quite a bit. Take Texas or even Illinois for example. I'd make the same money, spend less on a house, less taxes, easier to get a handgun, cost of living in general is less.....this state is so conservative it's nuts. You say sex, guns or anything that has been normalized since 1950 and people blush and put ear plugs in.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if i owned a gun company i wouldnt set up shop in a state with such restrictive laws.

maybe the tax laws are better for businesses? :confused:

15. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Class A LTC from what the LT told me means you can transport the gun on your waist ONLY when going to a range. You can NOT carry the gun if your going food shopping or to a bookstore. That is a Class A LTC concealed.

What people do is keep track of a few ranges and carry the gun and if they are stopped they say they were en route to xxx range. I think thats asking for trouble without a doubt.

cabriolet - everything you say makes sense when I am reading the laws online but you read the law then get another story from the police LT. Thats what is aggrivating. I rather not argue with him, just get the license and find out what I am legally responsible for after the fact so I dont get into any kind of trouble.

This is what someone else told me:

-----------------------
    I have my MA LTC A (Mass License to Carry Class A) for Protection.

LTC A = handguns and high cap rifles/pistols. Allows CCW if you are not restricted on the license.
    LTC B = handguns and low cap rifles/pistols. No CCW. Must carry locked in a case and unloaded.
    FID = low cap long guns.
    ------------------------

I guess they can put a target/hunting restriction on the Class A LTC. I'll find out from my safety instructor when I take the course.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  16. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

No...no they are not. The original Springfield Armory, yes.

The modern-day company of Springfield Armory, Inc. is based in Illinois.

17. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

That second link is the MA state website. Don't argue with Lieutenant Dick Head, you'll never change his mind. He probably knows, but doesn't WANT you to carry. You can carry and know you're safe if you get pulled over. Of course, that cop may be a dick too and you may have to get arrested and go to court over it to get everything dropped.

Which brings us back full circle. Fucking move.

18. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

I can only carry if I know which range I am saying I will be going to and if they are open that day during the hours I would get stopped.

I mean come on, I can buy a high capicity pistol, they trust me that much but not enough to drive through a bad area of town with it.

Move.....sounds better every time I think about it.

19. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

so what guns CAN you buy?

20. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Anything he wants after moving to a free state

21. attomica

attomica Active Member

What the hell is a "Letter of Justification"? Is it one where you would say something along the lines of, "I am justified in being able to bear arms, as declared by the Constitution of the United States, which trumps any bullshit you liberal goat fucks can come up with"?

I can't remember if the punctuation goes inside the quote marks or outside. Oh, well.

22. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Fuck, you can walk into a gun store here, buy a handgun of your choice, a bunch of 30 rd mags, and thousands of rounds of ammo, and not even have to wait.

23. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

MA has an AWB like the expired federal one. 'Far as I know, it bans by evil features and only grandfathers in weapons with forbidden evil features manufactured prior to the ban ... which explains why old 1st- and 2nd-gen Glocks can demand a premium if you determine that they're "MA Elligible."

24. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Fixed :wtc:

25. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

:rofl: Local stores have ammo, but they either charge twice the regular price, or only sell it for use on thier range.