A&P So the last wedding I attended the photographer

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FusionZ06, May 11, 2009.

1. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Had several strobes setup in the corners of the reception hall. Controlled by triggers of some sort, they were constantly going off. I thought at first it was something to do with the DJ equipment... I then soon realized that it was the photographer! I will say it was a very annoying 3 hours. Several people commented and were frustrated by the flashes. Is this common practice?

2. Section8

Section8 .

I remember reading somewhere that a photographer had done this at a dance floor for a wedding reception but I can't remember where I read it now. I could see how it would make for some nice pictures, but like you said it would annoy the guests after about 10 minutes.

3. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

See it wasn't just the dance hall either. It was the whole fricking room. Probably ~200 people.

4. Section8

Section8 .

oh that's crazy :eek3: I would only consider doing that with the dance floor, if at all.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

were the strobes pointing up to bounce or straight to the dance floor?

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Point up which made it worse. The whole room lit up :o

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

It's pretty standard. The bride and groom want nice pics. If that's what it takes, then the guests have to accept it.

I do this myself, depending on the venue. Sometimes it's the only way to get good shots.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Yeah, because the wedding is about the guests.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:hsugh:

It's about making sure everyone has a good time. It was quite annoying.

10. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

You just need to sync the trigger with the beat, dog!

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The B&G are paying the photographer to get good photos, not to make sure the guests have a good time.

12. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

That does sound annoying. I do use 2 photogenic flashes but they are always facing from the stage to the dance floor with a dish and a softner and usually around 1/4 of the power. Nobody has complained so far, if it happens to bother someone i have no problem of turning them off and just using the flash on the camera. If someone truly knows what they are doing they should have no problem.

I personally know this one photog who took pics at a hall and they all come out dark, and told the customer that the reason the pics are dark beacuse DJ kept turning off the lights and i swear he told the cutomer to call DJ and discuss with him as of why the pics come out dark.

People are there to have fun and not get bombarded with harsh flash every 3 seconds. And any photog who has commom sence should know that guest are as important as the bride and the groom, because every single guest could be a customer.

I have seen some photog's put huge flashes on the corners of the halls without any dish or softener...just bare flash bulb. :ugh: Literally blinding everyone no matter which direction your facing.

13. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

But how do you get over the fact that you're pissing off everyone in the room?

14. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Nobody tell you to not take good photos, but while you are at it, do it as quietly and unnoticeable as possible.

If i am the groom and my photog has to annoy all my 200-500 guests just so i can have few "good" pics, i rather not.

15. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

They also pay a shit ton of money on food, music (band/ DJ), location, etc to make sure their guests have a good time. :dunno:

16. UnNakedChef

I actually have no problem with this as it has worked to my advantage numerous times with some of the ladies I've taken home. I usually tip the photog quite well for this setup. After all, I'm not much to look at.

17. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Business vs personal pleasure.

It did not attract the young couple who were looking for a photog but it did attract few drunken skunks :mamoru:

18. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Sure they are, but if the music selection is annoying to some of the guests, does the DJ switch songs so as to try and please everyone? If the food doesn't fit the pallet of some of the guests should the caterer bring out some different dishes? If the bar doesn't have a guests favorite drink should they send someone out to buy it for them?

Bottom line, you're never going to make everyone happy all the time. Using flash is one of the tools the photographer has at his disposal to get good photos. Yes, they may be a bit annoying at times and if the bride or groom comes over and tells the photographer that he's annoying all the guests, then the 'tog should stop using them. But the photographer works for the B&G, not the guests.

19. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

I can't say that i disagree with your points here, but i've got a few of my own. As far as the Caterer, yeah, the few guests are shit out of luck, but the DJ can easily change up what he's playing, provided he's got a diverse enough selection. The photographer uses flash to get the shot, but there's more than one way of providing that light, and any shutterbug should be competent enough to use a different technique, if what he planned started to become problematic.

21. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Besides adding video light (which can be just as annoying) there is no other way to "providing that light". Using higher ISO settings doesn't add additional light.

However using a combination of high ISO and flash dialed down is the best solution.

22. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I must say I would never, ever complain to the B&G that them getting one of the most important days of their lives recorded is 'annoying me'.

23. UnNakedChef

Exactly. That recorded memory will eventually also be annoying enough to each of them later down the road, as the marriage drags on and on and on...

24. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:hsugh:

Chances are if it annoyed me it annoyed the bride and groom

25. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Should've requested a ban then :hsugh: