So the honeymoon is over...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Valence, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

And My thoughts on the whole "toyota tacoma" truck buying experience.

First off, I have shitty credit. Moreso, no vehicle buying credit. My 01 impala was worn out, had 130 k miles, and started leaking transmission fluid.

KBB valued trade val at 3200-3800. I went to nearly every dealer in the area car shopping and they all valued at 2k.

First truck I wanted was a tacoma. Honestly I probably would have bought the first SUV or Truck that was in my monthly payment range. I did love the look of the tacoma. I could only afford about 375 per month.

Toyota managed to be the only ones who didn't require I provide three months of financial statements and pay stubs. Just started new job a month ago, and not good about keeping bank statements. I wanted to do this on my own and not get my dad to cosign. I figured that I'm 25, first time buying a new vehicle, and I need to do this on my own.

I went in anticipating no money down, 2k trade, and looking to spend 375... also fully aware that I was going to get raped on the interest *if I could get financed. My thoughts are that I need to establish some credit buy making monthly regular payments. I intend on joining a credit union and establishing myself there... and in six months to a year refinancing my truck this way.

I ended up getting the cheapest model tacoma there is. I still think I paid too much. It's a regular cab standard 4 cyl. I love how this truck looks. It handles just find in speeds up to 50 mph.

Highway driving is a bit different. Yeah, I knew it would be a bit sluggish. I've owned a 4 cyl jeep wrangler, so I had a fair idea of how it would do on the highway. It's not as bad as the wrangler however.

Road noise is there. A lot. At 70 mph I can hear the hum of the tires, the exhaust, the wind going past the doors. I'm going to seriously ponder insulating this truck for road noise. I've done research and made threads in other areas of OT and it seems a dynamat-type product or paint on product is needed. I've also heard you can use the spray on bed liner but I don't trust that. I don't have a spray gun and Don't want to line my interior with that shit.

The stereo has to go. One of my projects is to get a dash kit that is made to mimick the stock dash layout. I'm looking at several head units that go for ~ 130 bucks and are satellite ready. I'm also getting the satellite box for sirius. Speakers will be done later after I test the effectiveness of changing the head unit.

This truck is all over the road at 70 miles per hour. Big trucks push me left and right... this truck is evidently extremely light and the wind and drafts created by other vehicles easily sways you back and forth. I don't know, I'm thinking that some extra weight would help correct this but then I lose my fuel economy.

Speaking of fuel economy... I'm not sure what I'll end up with since I haven't used the full tank of gas from dealer yet. I know I've gone 160 miles of mostly highway driving and used half a tank.

In the long run I think I will be happy. The dealer initially offered me 500 for my trade. They ended up coming up to 1500. I was kind of screwed as I was waking up to puddles of transmission fluid under my car and I needed to dump it fast. I know I'm getting raped, you guys don't have to tell me that.
    I think that if I get
    1. Refinanced
    2. Replace radio and that kind of stuff.
    3. Dampen road noise
    4. Increase performance just a bit.

I will be happy. I'm not looking for extreme performance. I've made the K&N thread and it would seem that is not the way to go. I've heard these things have several catalytic converters and that they are not all neccessary for emissions testing. I don't know if that is true or not. Possibly dual exhaust, some form of intake, and a reprogram or chip (if possible in this model)
    It will take some modification... but it's possible.

The only other option is to pay on this and get it refinanced. See where I am then and if I'm upside down. If somehow I'm not upsidedown then trade it in.

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

new truck, 160 miles, and you already wanna trade it in???

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I'm thinking at the one year mark... to two year mark. I like the truck but would only keep it if I can solve some of the issues I don't like about the truck itself. I really wanted the 6 cyl but couldn't afford it.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I mean with your credit, you got a good reliable vehicle and you should be happy with what you got until your credit/fiances get better.
    Funny you say you dont think a K&N will work, but you want to get an intake which does the same thing, just increases airflow and costs 4 times as much. You dont even need "dual" exhaust, just a nice cat back. I wouldnt listen to Jolly.. it made a difference on my truck, there is more power. I would check Taco forums to see what is recommended for your truck.

Also.. any pics?

5. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I'll check on it and see. I'm happy with the reliability and can live with it as is... This stuff would just really help me enjoy it better.

6. toddjohan

toddjohan As seen on ABC's 101 Ways to Leave a Game Show

My two cents is to just enjoy that you have a new automobile. Spend the money you are figuring in spending on mods on paying down your high interest debt. I've always found that no matter what you could bolt on or upgrade it will always just end up being a truck (or car). The fun add ons should really only be done with truly discretionary income.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

god damn you should have just leased something if that's your situation!