MIL So the AF is cutting 40K jobs...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jyokker, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Our Cheif was talking about this and he said when he looked at overall manning for the AF, enlisted was a little over but not much, whereas officers were over 40k. Hmmm. Now assuming this is true, a slightly educated shoe could predict that most of the cuts would be coming from the officer side of the house.
    ib :repost:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

they're already slashing the junior officer corps (non rated side). all 02/03 commissionees were racked and stacked and are in the process of being "force shaped" - i've already found out a few of my friends didn't make the cut :(

word on the street is that more cuts are coming and might even affect aviators :noes:, but that's still a rumor. the 40K supposedly includes both officers and enlisted (cutting 40K officers would decimate the officer corps), but my CC said that this is still rumor-mill pentagon stuff, and that it would still be a little while before anything solid is passed down.

3. Jyokker

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Number of Personnel Assigned in the Active Duty Air Force

Commissioned Officers
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Number of Officers Assigned (As of 31 Dec 01)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Total Officers [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]67,307[/FONT]

Dunno if this includes "Reserve Officers" (NOT AF RESERVE but that other one...)

4. Jyokker

I can't see how they could cut 20k officers... unless the above number is drastically low.

5. SweetDaddyO

they won't cut that many officers. the current force shaping was based on a 4,000 LT surplus (and there are more LTs than any other officer rank - actually, there are slightly more Capts, but LTs are more expendable :hs: )

6. SweetDaddyO

:rofl: who came up with that one? either way i'm good since it's a "1" for me

7. Jyokker

At that point it is a lottery.

8. SweetDaddyO

true

the bullshit of the promotion thing is that the Academy screws up the DOR. my date of rank for 2Lt is like 2 weeks prior to the Academy kids, but some congressional law says that we have to wait for them to be promoted. so my DOR for 1Lt is the same as all the Academy pukes, even though i put in an extra 2 weeks as a 2Lt.

it sounds meaningless, but my superiors told me down the line it could cost me some big money.